Discussions > Instrument Makes and Models

Has anyone here actually played a Serafini Darwin?

(1/2) > >>

Grape Ape:
And if so, what were your thoughts?

Also thoughts on Serafinis in general are welcome.

I have always enjoyed their sound....

Falconer:
I thought long and hard about buying one, but from what I can ascertain none of them have 3rds in the chords. (I assume this is a weight & space saving measure.) And since the most pleasing sound on the melodeon to me is the full triad, I have passed. But I can see that for someone playing quick, complex songs with 18 basses, that loss is probably not so important.

Winston Smith:
Here's one for sale! (No connection etc etc.) Strange that it should come up for sale just after being mentioned on here, unless it's one of our members.

https://www.gumtree.com/p/accordians/diatonic-accordion-serafini-darwin/1351113848

Theo:
I enquired about that shortly after you posted that.  Today I’ve had an email from Gumtree warning me that the seller was “not complying with Gumtree conditions”  which I think is code for “he was a scammer”

playandteach:

--- Quote from: Grape Ape on August 20, 2019, 04:25:28 AM ---And if so, what were your thoughts?

Also thoughts on Serafinis in general are welcome.

--- End quote ---
I too like the sound. On the Wensleydale weekend Pascale Rubens made a point of asking me about it, as it doesn't carry a badge. (It was the box she liked, not my playing).
I've got the cheapest model he made, but I don't think it was made to a lower standard. I'd love to know if the reeds can be tweaked to be more responsive at lower volumes - that is my only bugbear.
I did have an issue with it when it arrived several years ago, and he was first rate in sorting it. Also, a couple of years after buying it I thought that 2 of the higher notes just didn't have the same quality of sound as the others. I emailed him, and he asked me to ship the blocks back. He had rethought the making of the blocks on later models. He reworked the blocks for free (way out of warantee) and now I can't even remember which notes were weak. Good man to deal with, and apart from the speaking of the reeds at low volume, it is every I'd want from a 2 row box. You have to realise too, that I am very fussy indeed about these things.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version