Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Bass buttons and Dupytrens Contracture  (Read 964 times)

Davidmc

Bass buttons and Dupytrens Contracture
« on: August 21, 2019, 10:24:01 AM »

I have been playing the melodeon for about 3 years now. A hobby I enjoy embarked upon in later life. I also have had a progressive hand condition for many years, Dupytrens Contracture which is painless but quite disabling. The condition causes fingers to curl into a hook like form. I have had my treble side hand operated on (not an insignificant or painless exercise) but my left hand is still affected. On this left hand I have available for bass playing the index and ring finger, pinky and index are curled. My apologies for this lengthy description though I hope it sets the scene. I can manage to play simple bass accompaniments on two row instruments, usually versions of 3 chord oompah variety.  I would like to do more but am having to accept that this may not be possible. I also enjoy playing single row instruments and have modified a Hohner HA113 to accommodate the condition. I would like to acquire and play a button bass single row D melodeon, but am finding that the button spacing on all the one row (non spoon) instruments I have researched is too wide for my finger spread (wider than Hohner spoons). Is anyone aware of any one row boxes that have button basses set close together (more akin to 8 bass separation distance). Or do I have to give up the button bass search and settle for a good Hohner 4 stop in D.  Thank you for reading this and any suggestions you may have

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
Re: Bass buttons and Dupytrens Contracture
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2019, 11:08:52 AM »

... I would like to acquire and play a button bass single row D melodeon, but am finding that the button spacing on all the one row (non spoon) instruments I have researched is too wide for my finger spread (wider than Hohner spoons).

Have you tried a Hohner 1040? they are more common in C, but I suspect someone like Microbot could do a retune (anyway, C is a nice key).
Greg Smith
DG/GC Pokerwork, DG 2.4 Saltarelle, pre-war CF Hohner, Hohner 1040 Vienna style, old  BbEb Hohner that needs a lot of work.

ACCORDION, n. An instrument in harmony with the sentiments of an assassin. Ambrose Bierce

Tiposx

• Durham in England
  • Respected Sage
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2019, 12:24:20 PM »

I second that re Hohner 1040.  Mushroom bass buttons and not far apart. My last one was in D.
You could also consider a c#/d lilly, which is compact like the 1040, and quite a bit cheaper than many single rows. Single voice but very sweet.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2019, 03:22:08 PM by Tiposx »

Davidmc

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2019, 05:35:17 PM »

Thanks for the replies and suggestions. I must confess I had not thought of a C# D Lilly which I would consider if I could find a suitably priced used one.

Jon Stapleton

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2019, 10:44:10 PM »

Or a little lilliput?  all of the buttons are considerably closer than on a normal box left and right,  close enough to confuse me

Tiposx

• Durham in England
  • Respected Sage
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2019, 08:40:45 AM »

Re my earlier post - I guess a Lilly in A/D (if that exists) or other small box might also be suitable depending on the bass buttons, but I don't have experience of those.
If you are near Durham uk then you could try my c#/d Lilly out. It is not for sale though!

blue eyed sailor

• Melodeon renegade - partly reverted - Preciosa maniac
  • Respected Sage
  • since folk process is running, take an active part
    • My Sound Cloud
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2019, 11:06:00 AM »

Hohners: 2x Preciosa Bb/Eb (tremolo / light swing) - Club IV Bb/Eb - Morino Club C/F
Presswood C/F - Pokerwork C - Verdi II (PA) - Lucia IV (PA) - Starlet (PA)

Weltmeister 509 G/C/F - Juwel (PA) -- Horch C/F (12 bass) -- Cantulia Bambi 26 (PA)
and: Castagnari Giordy G/C

be warned of my SC page, mainly concertina thus far
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal