Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: New Toy.....Old British Chromatic  (Read 3624 times)

Mike Hirst

• Primatona IV D/D#, Black Dot B/C, One Row in D
Re: New Toy.....Old British Chromatic
« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2019, 07:42:36 PM »

I play Irish and regard it as pre-harmonic music

c.300BC Aristoxenus wrote a work entitled Harmonika Stoicheia, which is thought the first work in European history written on the subject of harmony; by the mid 16thC texts emanating from Palestrina in Italy were being widely circulated throughout Europe outlining harmonic theory.  Examples of these exist in Irish collections.

There are very few melodies played in the current Irish repertoire which can be proven to predate the late 18thC. Of those earlier melodies, the compositions attributed to Turlough O'Carolan (1670 – 25 March 1738), demonstrate a clearly sophisticated understanding of harmony and counterpoint.

I am a great lover of musics which ignore or confound the generally accepted harmonic paradigm, but I cannot let historical inaccuracies go unchallenged. 
« Last Edit: August 28, 2019, 07:53:59 PM by Mike Hirst »
"Slip like Freudian, your first and last step to playing yourself like an Accordion" - MF DOOM - Madvillain

george garside

« Reply #21 on: August 28, 2019, 11:17:07 PM »

[quote author=george garside link=topic=24375.msg290644#msg290644 date=1567011044

disadvantage  of 2 row semitone compared to  4th apart eg DG lies in the formers lack of decent bass  v  the latters  ability to thump out a good rhythm in its home keys. 

Advantage of 2 row semitone over eg DG lies in  it being chromatic  with resulting access to more keys albeit without much in the way of bass/

george

I play Irish and regard it as pre-harmonic music and think that 'thumping out a good rhythm' on the basses is a vice, but if you want to do that there are semitone boxes with mini-stradella bases. I have one myself, my favourite box as it happens. Best of both worlds.
[/quote]

Indeed and I have a 12 stradella bass  BC double ray 2 voice box which is very useful. Didn't mention it because  they are fairly rare.

george
author of DG tutor book "DG Melodeon a Crash Course for Beginners".

richard.fleming

« Reply #22 on: August 29, 2019, 07:46:24 AM »

I play Irish and regard it as pre-harmonic music

c.300BC Aristoxenus wrote a work entitled Harmonika Stoicheia, which is thought the first work in European history written on the subject of harmony; by the mid 16thC texts emanating from Palestrina in Italy were being widely circulated throughout Europe outlining harmonic theory.  Examples of these exist in Irish collections.

There are very few melodies played in the current Irish repertoire which can be proven to predate the late 18thC. Of those earlier melodies, the compositions attributed to Turlough O'Carolan (1670 – 25 March 1738), demonstrate a clearly sophisticated understanding of harmony and counterpoint.

I am a great lover of musics which ignore or confound the generally accepted harmonic paradigm, but I cannot let historical inaccuracies go unchallenged.
I'm sure you are right in all you say. Clearly O'Carolan bridges a great divide between European music of the courts of the aristocracy and that of the native Irish. But I don't think either he or Aristoxenes had much influence on people perpetuating a musical tradition in rural Ireland.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2019, 09:27:33 AM by richard.fleming »
Old Paolo Sopranis in C#/D and D/D#

Peadar

« Reply #23 on: August 29, 2019, 08:04:10 AM »

The subject of the thread was actually an example  of a vintage/antique British Chromatic Accordion in,  by my standards, a playable condition.

It a 2 voice , with 2 stops on each register and spoon basses which is representative of a step on the road in the development of the button accorden/melodeon and it's integration into Ceol Gaidhealach.

Tha mi a'cluich/ag plè leis anns a'chointeacs sin.

Why should the devil have all the best instruments???

xgx

• Bagpipes & Musette Boxes... and Banjos, luv 'em!
« Reply #24 on: August 29, 2019, 09:22:36 AM »

easy on the garlic  ;D
Graham

N Cambs/S Lincs - UK   :|glug + :|glug:|||: = :|bl

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
« Reply #25 on: August 29, 2019, 09:24:19 AM »

The subject of the thread was actually an example  of a vintage/antique British Chromatic Accordion in,  by my standards, a playable condition.

It a 2 voice , with 2 stops on each register and spoon basses which is representative of a step on the road in the development of the button accorden/melodeon and it's integration into Ceol Gaidhealach.

Tha mi a'cluich/ag plè leis anns a'chointeacs sin.

Have you any sound files? The few really old boxes I have come across sound pretty awful.

Do the four stops mean each voice is individually switchable? If so, I wonder why? You could turn them all off, for silent practice, I suppose.
Greg Smith
DG/GC Pokerwork, DG 2.4 Saltarelle, pre-war CF Hohner, Hohner 1040 Vienna style, old  BbEb Hohner that needs a lot of work.

ACCORDION, n. An instrument in harmony with the sentiments of an assassin. Ambrose Bierce

Peadar

« Reply #26 on: August 30, 2019, 02:33:21 AM »

Sound files...I will see what I can do.  Like I said playable by my standards.  :||: There might even be a "tune I have almost learnt" ... but probably not in multiple fingerings.

And yes each voice individually switchable- just like on a Hohner HA112.

Silent practice....only if you use the air valve as a bass drone. 8)

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
« Reply #27 on: August 30, 2019, 09:17:39 AM »

Sound files...I will see what I can do.  Like I said playable by my standards.  :||: There might even be a "tune I have almost learnt" ... but probably not in multiple fingerings.

It's not meant to be a test of ability. A tune would be great, but jut a play through the scale would be interesting

Silent practice....only if you use the air valve as a bass drone. 8)

My wife thinks I'm wheezy enough without any assistance. ::)
Greg Smith
DG/GC Pokerwork, DG 2.4 Saltarelle, pre-war CF Hohner, Hohner 1040 Vienna style, old  BbEb Hohner that needs a lot of work.

ACCORDION, n. An instrument in harmony with the sentiments of an assassin. Ambrose Bierce

Peadar

« Reply #28 on: August 31, 2019, 01:14:42 AM »

I have posted "Chi mi'n Tir 'san robh mi nam bhalach" in Theme of the month.

You tube is however kicking out the video that I have been trying to upload of sample scale/ bass sounds.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal