Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Amazing slow-downer.  (Read 4706 times)

Keithypete.

Amazing slow-downer.
« on: September 15, 2009, 12:25:19 PM »

Does anyone here use this piece of kit? Is it any good? I'm not red hot with computers and am not sure if I could work it. It sounds like a brilliant idea if it works. Thanks.
Beltuna Sara II - B/C flavour.
Borsini - G,D,A.
Pokerwork B/C.
PRIMATONA IV, B/C.

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
    • Lester's Melodeon Emporium and Tune-a-Rama
Re: Amazing slow-downer.
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2009, 12:39:35 PM »

My preference is Audacity it does all the slowing down stuff and key changing and many other things and it's FREE. It does all the audio things I want, like recording sound off of youtube videos, processing the output of my recorder, changing .wavs to .MP3 etc.

It is probably harder to use than ASlowerDowner but far more versatile.

http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

stevejay

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2009, 12:48:54 PM »

Windows media player will slow things down as well, and you probably already  have this on your computer. The options cycle through the sound settings, skins, etc, and playbsck speed is an option.

Amazing Slow downer works pretty well too.

Stiamh

• Old grey C#/D pest
    • Packie Manus Byrne
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2009, 01:24:21 PM »

I have it (Amazing Slow-Downer). Very simple to operate, does the job well.

Keithypete.

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2009, 01:29:37 PM »

Sounds like good advice from someone who knows he is talking about. I'm looking for something that is easier than the other really. Must get to grips with all this new technology one day.

Windows media player will slow things down as well, and you probably already  have this on your computer.

Thanks - fairly certain we do have it. I had no idea it could do all that stuff though. Cheers.
Borsini - G,D,A.
Pokerwork B/C.
PRIMATONA IV, B/C.

HallelujahAl

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2009, 03:09:41 PM »

I use AUDACITY for all that kind of stuff -  key reason, it works and is free.
AL

Alison Scott

• Mods and volunteers
  • Respected Sage
  • Oakwood, Dino Baffetti, Roma, Liliput, Streb etc.
    • Macadamia
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2009, 03:30:02 PM »

Sounds like good advice from someone who knows he is talking about. I'm looking for something that is easier than the other really. Must get to grips with all this new technology one day.

I tried the trial of a program called Transcribe!, which includes this feature and many others. I found it very good but didn't buy it, I think because I didn't think I'd have quite enough use for it.

Alison

mikesamwild

• Melodeon, Button Accordion, Anglo Concertina
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2009, 05:15:42 PM »

I thought 'real' musicians smoked dope to get that slowed down experience. I've seen some fall off their chairs in the past

More fun than the teeth grinding speed and cocaine freaks who've wrecked a few sessions I've been in
Mike in Sheffield

If music be the food of love -who finds the time?

HallelujahAl

« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2009, 05:58:01 PM »

I thought 'real' musicians smoked dope to get that slowed down experience. I've seen some fall off their chairs in the past
Nope. 'Real' musicians don't need that kind of stuff, in fact no-one does. I'm quite adept at falling off chairs however  ;D

Keithypete.

« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2009, 02:01:54 AM »

You're right Al. Apparently you're 'in the chair' this weekend. Hope you all have a good time.
Borsini - G,D,A.
Pokerwork B/C.
PRIMATONA IV, B/C.

Accordion Dave

• Respected Sage
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2009, 05:46:25 AM »

I have a speed control on my phonograph (gramophone) which of course also changes pitch.

Lojze Slak's harmonika is tuned a half step higher than mine. It's nice to be able to drop the pitch a half step in order to play along without transposing to a dozen sharps.

HallelujahAl

« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2009, 08:41:44 AM »

You're right Al. Apparently you're 'in the chair' this weekend. Hope you all have a good time.
Oh Flip!  ;D

LJC

« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2009, 08:47:30 AM »

I use Transcribe! from seventhstring.com, you can alter the speed and pitch independently which is great for working out tunes in other keys. You can half speed and keep the original pitch or any other time stretch down to 10%. It has fine tune for correcting those out of tune boxes and coarse tune for shifting C tunes up to D (or G or anything else).

stevejay

« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2009, 04:17:39 AM »

Here's a screenshot within media player- right click down there and you'll see the same thing.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2009, 04:19:28 AM by stevejay »

Christopher K.

• Content Manager
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2009, 08:51:56 PM »

My preference is Audacity it does all the slowing down stuff and key changing and many other things and it's FREE. It does all the audio things I want, like recording sound off of youtube videos, processing the output of my recorder, changing .wavs to .MP3 etc.

I like Audacity, too, and it is useful for many things. 

I also have the Amazing Slow Downer because it was designed for slowing down music.  It's a little easier to load files from because it just plays the file from your drive whereas Audacity takes a minute to import the data.  Plus the ASD GUI is compact and easy to use, making it ideal for practice sessions where you might want to fiddle with the speed or pitch or change the tune several times until you get what you're looking for.  Audacity's interface isn't hard to learn or use but it is more project-oriented.

I think you can download a limited version of ASD for free.  I remember the demo used to be fully functional except that it automatically locked up after opening a predetermined number of files.  Try download.com or c.net or somewhere similar

Keithypete.

« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2009, 01:36:23 AM »

Here's a screenshot within media player- right click down there and you'll see the same thing.

Thanks for that. I would never have found it in a month of sundays. Useful but a bit limited.
Borsini - G,D,A.
Pokerwork B/C.
PRIMATONA IV, B/C.

Owen Woods

• melodeonmusic.com
    • The website and blog of Owen Woods
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2009, 01:37:45 PM »

Audacity is excellent and free. When you slow stuff down it sounds pretty horrible, but it makes everything just so much easier.
Bergflodt D/G 4 voice, Saltarelle Bouebe D/G, Super Preciosa D/Em, Hohner Impiliput B/C+C#

Latest blog post: In Any Weather

http://melodeonmusic.com/blog

Bill Young

• Paolo Soprani BCC#
« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2009, 02:43:51 PM »

Audacity is excellent and free. When you slow stuff down it sounds pretty horrible, but it makes everything just so much easier.
With Audacity, I've changed tempo by -15% without any obvious adverse affect on the sound. Mind, I've usually started with a CD-quality track, or a .wav recording from my Zomm H2.

Andy in Vermont

• Mélodie
    • Melodeon Minutes (blog)
« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2009, 10:53:53 PM »

I'm a Transcribe user as well, and it also has some nice features for figuring out the notes in a chord or harmony.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal