Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: G/C accidentals & Pignol/Milleret tutors  (Read 826 times)

Ken McAlack

• Good talker
  • Saltarelle Aether II B/C 21/8
G/C accidentals & Pignol/Milleret tutors
« on: August 28, 2019, 01:10:12 PM »

Hi All,
I have read on this forum that to play Delicq's music it is recommended to have accidentals G# and Eb on the push and thirds in.

I am starting the Pignol/Milleret Vol 1 Book. The recommended layout for G/C is accidentals G# and Eb on the Pull and no thirds.
I only see one exercise in Vol 1 that uses any accidentals and that is a G# on Page 50 (I think). I have to imagine that Vols 2-4 use accidentals more extensively.
Can anyone who has used these instruction manuals tell me the need to have the accidentals arranged as they recommend?
Is their repertoire so different? Is it style of playing?

Ken

Chris Ryall

• "doc 3-row"
  • French Interpreter
  • Wirral UK
    • Chris Ryall
Re: G/C accidentals & Pignol/Milleret tutors
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2019, 03:50:43 PM »

I wouldn't lose too much sleep about the accs layout provided you are willing to find other rt hand chord notes in opposite direction, and to explore alternative fingerings for note runs that include accs.

Long time since i looked at book 1, but recall it being mainly "on row" stuff. Basically they get more and more complex and look to have you playing in several off main row keys by the end.

They carry C/Fs with a full accidentals row on stage, yet a lot of their repertoire is in various modes of D, be that major, minor or minor with an Eb (phrygean mode)

A full keyboard like that can technically reach any key, but some just lie there, some are frankly "pigs".

Get to know the modes of your main rows really well - G, C, Am - and branch out from there. The G# is there to make A harmonic minor work, common in French folk, so you should probably have the G#/A# plate their way … easy enough to turn over inside, or "any local melodeon fettler" will do for a small fee

Yes, their stuff is different. They started out very trad, Central French and Morvan stuff, including "bells and ribbons", but Stéph in particular had been a prolific writer of tunes. Both have jazz tendencies, explored in the later books
« Last Edit: August 28, 2019, 03:52:21 PM by Chris Ryall »
  _       _    _      _ 

Ken McAlack

• Good talker
  • Saltarelle Aether II B/C 21/8
Re: G/C accidentals & Pignol/Milleret tutors
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2019, 12:28:15 PM »

Thanks Chris! I came to this from a B/C beginning with no accidentals so I wondered how important it was to have the "correct" set up.

I usually learn instruments by "ear" with a little help from notation. But I like to have an understanding of the mechanics of the instrument to keep my bearings.
I think the P&M instruction will be a good start to develop a proper structure.

The French repertoire is a new world to me and I am thoroughly enjoying it.

Ken
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal