Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Podcast on Paddy Fitzgerald of Melbourne (via Co. Clare)  (Read 865 times)

Stiamh

• Old grey C#/D pest
    • Packie Manus Byrne
Podcast on Paddy Fitzgerald of Melbourne (via Co. Clare)
« on: September 19, 2019, 02:38:20 PM »

https://blarneypilgrims.fireside.fm/14

I very much enjoyed this podcast: a long interview with box player Paddy Fitzgerald, one of the pillars of the Irish music scene in Melbourne since the 1960s (along with brothers Joe, a very fine box player, and John (RIP), who played box but mainly everything with strings on). Paddy must now be approaching the age of 80. Fascinating insights into the life of a working man for whom traditional music has been a passion since early childhood. Some talk about the differences between C#/D and B/C systems (which may leave you scratching your head).

I spent four years in or close to Melbourne in the early 1980s and met Paddy and his brothers, but only a few times. They weren't much involved in the pub session scene, and at the time I wasn't much interested in accordions - my loss!

Paddy and Joe are featured prominently in Graeme Smith's paper on Modern-style Irish Accordion Playing.

PS Thanks to Vector for the "heads-up" in another thread.

xgx

• Bagpipes & Musette Boxes... and Banjos, luv 'em!
Re: Podcast on Paddy Fitzgerald of Melbourne (via Co. Clare)
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2019, 04:57:02 PM »

Stiamh
Can't work it out meself (cloff-ear syndrome), are they playing BC or C#D boxes in the clip?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0iOK70Wc_Ro

Which key(s) are the tunes played in please?
Graham

N Cambs/S Lincs - UK   :|glug + :|glug:|||: = :|bl

Stiamh

• Old grey C#/D pest
    • Packie Manus Byrne
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2019, 06:03:13 PM »

Can't work it out meself (cloff-ear syndrome), are they playing BC or C#D boxes in the clip? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0iOK70Wc_Ro
Which key(s) are the tunes played in please?

Trick question! If you were just using your eyes, you would conclude that they were playing C#/D boxes, since all the D phrases in St. Anne's reel (originally Le reel de Ste-Anne [place, not person]) are on the push. Check the tuning however and you will find they are playing both tunes in C (St. Anne's and Humours of Tulla).

Answer: they are playing B/C boxes C#/D style (and the banjo must be tuned down a tone). Reverting to type, obviously!

All the brothers are obviously past their best at this stage, especially John, who wasn't long for this world when the clip was recorded. I think Joe has slowed down a lot, too. I remember seeing him play in a session in about 1982. It was stunning. Everyone stopped playing their instruments and just listened to Joe, who was on fire.

xgx

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2019, 06:33:44 PM »

Trick question! If you were just using your eyes, you would conclude that they were playing C#/D boxes, since all the D phrases in St. Anne's reel (originally Le reel de Ste-Anne [place, not person]) are on the push. 
HTH would I recognise the D phases ???  ...if I was able to do that I wouldn't have asked the question!

Check the tuning however and you will find they are playing both tunes in C (St. Anne's and Humours of Tulla).
I have no way of checking the tuning ::)  ...another reason for the question!

Answer: they are playing B/C boxes C#/D style What is and how does one recognise the C#D 'style'?

Thanks for ID of the boxes and key of each tune. :)
Graham

Stiamh

• Old grey C#/D pest
    • Packie Manus Byrne
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2019, 07:12:44 PM »

HTH would I recognise the D phrases ???

Dunno. I can only do it because I know both tunes.

E.g. bar 2 of St. Anne's has a D arpeggio figure followed by an Em arpeggio figure. They are playing the first push and the second pull = C#/D. On B'n'C it would be the other way around. And so on and so on.

What is and how does one recognise the C#D 'style'?

I just meant that they were playing the tunes using the fingering etc. they would use if they wanted to play it in D on a C#/D box. Which is why it comes out in C on the B/C.  :|glug

xgx

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2019, 07:17:09 PM »

Thanks Stiamh
Graham

smiley

• Folk music: it's not as bad as it sounds
    • a few sound clips
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2019, 11:37:09 PM »

All the brothers are obviously past their best at this stage, especially John, who wasn't long for this world when the clip was recorded. I think Joe has slowed down a lot, too. I remember seeing him play in a session in about 1982. It was stunning. Everyone stopped playing their instruments and just listened to Joe, who was on fire.

I recently spent a wonderful weekend with Joe Fitzgerald and some other musical friends, and he's playing lovely music these days.  We're all getting a bit older but Joe still has great drive to his music e.g. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_4jZbYBkkI  Over the years I've recorded tunes from some marathon sessions with Joe and I suppose I should take the time to organise them.

Paddy is a real gentleman and its always a pleasure to join his sessions in Melbourne. I'd been meaning to listen to that podcast and its a joy to hear Paddy's stories the way he tells them.

xgx

« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2019, 12:57:06 AM »

Paddy is a real gentleman
That came across so clear in the podcast ...
Graham

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal