Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Tune of the Month for September 2019: Webley Twizzle  (Read 5060 times)

Graham Spencer

• MAD as a wet Hohner........
Re: Tune of the Month for September 2019: Webley Twizzle
« Reply #20 on: September 16, 2019, 06:13:04 AM »

When the the B music lose a bar then?

My question would be "When did id GAIN a bar?"  I've been dancing & playing it with a 5-bar B music since 1966.........
Among others, Saltarelle Pastourelle II D/G; Hohner 4-stop 1-rows in C & G; assorted Hohners; 3-voice German (?) G/C of uncertain parentage; lovely little Hlavacek 1-row Heligonka; B♭/E♭ Koch. Newly acquired G/C Hohner Viktoria. Also Fender Jazz bass, Telecaster, Stratocaster, Epiphone Sheraton, Charvel-Jackson 00-style acoustic guitar, Danelectro 12-string and other stuff..........

Squeezing in the Cyprus sunshine

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
    • Lester's Melodeon Emporium and Tune-a-Rama
« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2019, 08:07:22 AM »

My question would be "When did id GAIN a bar?"  I've been dancing & playing it with a 5-bar B music since 1966.........

From Bacon's Handbook.

Jinky Wells had the tune from a man called Webb, and named the dance (which Fred Hamer thought he had probably invented) after him.

Tune unusual - only five bars in each half of the B music.

JD

• Regular debater
« Reply #22 on: September 16, 2019, 09:35:58 AM »

I was dancing with a side in the 1980s who used the five-bar version. I recently played for them and imagine the scene when their current musician played the six-bar version and I played the five-bar one. You just look away for 25 years and everything gets changed...
Note to Clive: Think of the A music as a variation on "Hey Diddle Diddle, the Cat and the Fiddle" and you can't forget it. Maybe.

Mike Hirst

• Primatona IV D/D#, Black Dot B/C, One Row in D
« Reply #23 on: September 16, 2019, 09:43:43 AM »

Apparently it's often played that way, with 5 bar B music. See first message in this thread, or here for example: http://www.folktunefinder.com/tunes/195316

I first found the five bar tune in the Journal of the English Folk Dance and Song Society Vol. VIII. No. 1 1956. Where it is accompanied by this quote from William 'Jinkey' Wells:

Then there's 'The Webley'. What made me call it the Webley was I had it from a man by the name of Webb, but it was more of an old fashioned big form dance; but it was a good tune - just right for Morris dancing. There was four verses, but I never knowed the song properly. I always reckoned, you know, that that was one of our best dances and yet up at Cecil Sharp's House they didn't think much of it."

"Slip like Freudian, your first and last step to playing yourself like an Accordion" - MF DOOM - Madvillain

Hugh Taylor

• Respected Sage
    • Band web site: http://www.tumblingtom.co.uk
« Reply #24 on: September 16, 2019, 10:10:09 AM »

Is it only me that thinks this tune is similar to Banks and Braes o'Bonnie Doon?
Castagnari Mory D/G, Castagnari Tommy D/G, Saltarelle C/F, Hohner Erika A/D
Tumbling Tom Band

Graham Spencer

« Reply #25 on: September 16, 2019, 10:35:30 AM »

Is it only me that thinks this tune is similar to Banks and Braes o'Bonnie Doon?

No, Hugh, it's not just you; that's my aide-memoire if I suddenly find my fingers want to play something else!

Graham
Among others, Saltarelle Pastourelle II D/G; Hohner 4-stop 1-rows in C & G; assorted Hohners; 3-voice German (?) G/C of uncertain parentage; lovely little Hlavacek 1-row Heligonka; B♭/E♭ Koch. Newly acquired G/C Hohner Viktoria. Also Fender Jazz bass, Telecaster, Stratocaster, Epiphone Sheraton, Charvel-Jackson 00-style acoustic guitar, Danelectro 12-string and other stuff..........

Ransom

« Reply #26 on: September 21, 2019, 11:32:00 PM »

The Webliest of all my Twizzles:

https://youtu.be/7crd7Jcv2Dk

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
« Reply #27 on: September 22, 2019, 08:35:02 AM »

The Webliest of all my Twizzles:

https://youtu.be/7crd7Jcv2Dk

Very Webley. Nicely done. Love the big smile at the end, too.
Greg Smith
DG/GC Pokerwork, DG 2.4 Saltarelle, pre-war CF Hohner, Hohner 1040 Vienna style, old  BbEb Hohner that needs a lot of work.

ACCORDION, n. An instrument in harmony with the sentiments of an assassin. Ambrose Bierce

howard mitchell

• Respected Sage
    • Howard Mitchell
« Reply #28 on: September 24, 2019, 02:24:11 PM »

I can remember playing this in the 1970's but not since.

I have a copy of a hand-written manuscript of morris tunes which was/is in the Manchester Morris archive. I'm not sure who compiled it but it pre-dates the "Black Book" and someone took great care to compile the collected sources.

I've attached the entry for The Webley which contains 3 versions, one from William Wells as collected by Sharp (The 5 bar version), the second similar but with dotted notes and 9/8 bars at the end of both A and B phrases and lastly the 6 bar version. with the note (From a Bampton Fiddler 1961 and as learned from Bampton Dancers by Reg Hall). There's also a note "Of the 3 Webley variants only the 3rd fitted the dance as performed in 1961".

Here's my recording of all 3 variants on a Salltarelle Pastourelle III with the L reed and lower bass reed switched off.

https://youtu.be/MIhjNFbTRd0

Mitch
Saltarelle D/G, Hohner D/G, Hohner C/F, Dallape C/F, Hohner A/D, Gaillard G/C, Sagne D, Roland FR18D, Hohner Bb/Eb.

Clive Williams

• Administrator
    • Home Page
« Reply #29 on: September 30, 2019, 10:33:03 PM »

Hi all; time to move on to a new tune, so as ever please feel free to stick late contributions on the end of this thread

IanD

• Too many melodeons...
« Reply #30 on: October 05, 2019, 03:54:33 PM »

Apparently it's often played that way, with 5 bar B music. See first message in this thread, or here for example: http://www.folktunefinder.com/tunes/195316

I'd like to see anyone dancing it with a bar missing -- or even more so the version with a vertical hey, Weobley Leapfrog...
Oakwood Model 4 D/G, Castagnari Dony D/G/#, Castagnari Tommy G/C, Baffetti Binci D/G, Hohner Preciosa D/G, Melos Bb/Eb, Lightwave SL5 and Kala California fretless basses

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
    • Lester's Melodeon Emporium and Tune-a-Rama
« Reply #31 on: October 05, 2019, 03:58:49 PM »

I'd like to see anyone dancing it with a bar missing -- or even more so the version with a vertical hey, Weobley Leapfrog...

The stepping is sidestep right, sidestep left, forry into the hey, step out of the hey. Grand Union used to do it.

Graham Spencer

« Reply #32 on: October 05, 2019, 06:19:24 PM »

I'd like to see anyone dancing it with a bar missing

Yes, a 4-bar B music would be a bit taxing.........

IanD

• Too many melodeons...
« Reply #33 on: October 06, 2019, 04:08:18 PM »

The stepping is sidestep right, sidestep left, forry into the hey, step out of the hey. Grand Union used to do it.

The version we do -- which I believe is as collected, though of course I could be wrong -- has 2 sidesteps, a hey with 3 forry capers, single caper to finish. Which is 6 bars...
Oakwood Model 4 D/G, Castagnari Dony D/G/#, Castagnari Tommy G/C, Baffetti Binci D/G, Hohner Preciosa D/G, Melos Bb/Eb, Lightwave SL5 and Kala California fretless basses

Graham Spencer

« Reply #34 on: October 06, 2019, 05:12:50 PM »

The version we do -- which I believe is as collected, though of course I could be wrong -- has 2 sidesteps, a hey with 3 forry capers, single caper to finish. Which is 6 bars...

The version I learned with Jockey in the late 1960s, and as far as I am aware as danced by most, if not all, sides at that time, is exactly as described by Lester.   "As collected" depends very much on "when", "by whom" and "from whom".   To be clear, I'm not suggesting any version is "right" or "wrong" - just that the 5-bar B version is the way I've always known it.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal