Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Cardboard for bellows  (Read 2905 times)

Rog

• Repair and tuning in Hants
Cardboard for bellows
« on: September 08, 2019, 10:18:20 AM »

Anyone like to recommend what kind of card is suitable for making bellows. I want to experiment. I could order some from Charlie of course, but right now I just want to tinker with the process.

rees

• Windjammer
    • Wesson Accordions
Re: Cardboard for bellows
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2019, 11:18:20 AM »

An old Italian bellows maker once told me that they use seasoned cardboard.
Perhaps you could find an old Cornflake packet from the 1950s on eBay.
 ;)
Rees Wesson (accordion builder and mechanic)
Gungrog, Welshpool, Wales, UK
www.melodeons.com

folkloristmark

• street entertainers
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2019, 11:18:38 AM »

Cornflake packets
Mark Taylor
Folkloristmark

Rog

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2019, 11:44:14 AM »

I’m thinking cereal packets are a bit thin and not particularly robust (they tear easily). Maybe there isn’t a straight answer (I was expecting someone to say...grade x card). The card used to post books is pretty tough stuff. Maybe I’ll try that. Or something from the book binding trade. Maybe Nick CB will be along shortly to suggest something.... (:)

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2019, 11:45:44 AM »

« Last Edit: September 08, 2019, 11:51:05 AM by Tone Dumb Greg »
Greg Smith
DG/GC Pokerwork, DG 2.4 Saltarelle, pre-war CF Hohner, Hohner 1040 Vienna style, old  BbEb Hohner that needs a lot of work.

ACCORDION, n. An instrument in harmony with the sentiments of an assassin. Ambrose Bierce

Graham Spencer

• MAD as a wet Hohner........
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2019, 11:51:42 AM »

If it's just for experimenting and discovering "how it goes",  I'd guess cereal(or similar) packet card would be as good as anything.  I'd think Nick would be the man to advise if you're looking for something a little closer to "proper" bellows card but less expensive.

Graham
Among others, Saltarelle Pastourelle II D/G; Hohner 4-stop 1-rows in C & G; assorted Hohners; 3-voice German (?) G/C of uncertain parentage; lovely little Hlavacek 1-row Heligonka; B♭/E♭ Koch. Newly acquired G/C Hohner Viktoria. Also Fender Jazz bass, Telecaster, Stratocaster, Epiphone Sheraton, Charvel-Jackson 00-style acoustic guitar, Danelectro 12-string and other stuff..........

Squeezing in the Cyprus sunshine

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2019, 02:13:30 PM »

Just use the proper stuff.  I’m all for experimenting and finding new ways when original materials are no longer available but why re-invent the wheel?
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

Rog

« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2019, 02:29:45 PM »

Yep. I've concluded t'same.

hallelujahal

• 'Blood & Fire'
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2019, 09:27:36 PM »

Mounting board from an art shop is what I use
Al

Jon Stapleton

« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2019, 10:18:12 PM »

I believe the original stuff was cotton/rag based manilla   but I couldn't find a supplier of this (i assume the demise of the rag n bone man is the reason).
I used the "grey" board a while back for a preciosa because i couldn't find the right card,  it lasted for a couple of years but the bellows did go a bit "floppy". I also used very heavy watercolour paper for another set and this has lasted better but again it still isn't really quite the ticket and is a bit stiff to start with.
Old Hohner originals were about 800 microns. if you find a source of the correct card  please do share!!

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2019, 10:24:50 PM »

Charlie Marshall sells it
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

Nick Collis Bird

• Been squeezing melodeons for over 48 years (badly)
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2019, 07:02:18 AM »

I'd think Nick would be the man to advise if you're looking for something a little closer to "proper" bellows card but less expensive.

Graham

Thanks for the confidence Graham. Yes, Manila at about 200 to 300 gsm (Grams per Square Meter ) would be suitable, about the same as a Cornflake box. BUT, I seriously doubt the Ph of that ( cereal box) stuff I think it might be acidic and therefore rot fairly quickly.
  I’m sure no one would want to spend all that time making Bellows and then see them disintegrate in two or three years!!!
« Last Edit: September 10, 2019, 07:54:52 AM by Nick Collis Bird »
Has anyone heard of the song. “ Broken Alarm-clock Blues” ? It starts   “I woke up this Afternoon”

Peadar

« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2019, 10:23:04 PM »

Is manilla not based on a type of south american reed rather than wood chip or rag pulp?
Why should the devil have all the best instruments???

Pete Dunk

• Typo Expert
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2019, 07:51:01 AM »

Please note that 'manila' (the original, old fashioned type paper made from Manila hemp) and 'manilla' (vastly inferior modern wood pulp paper/card) are two very different materials!
Squeezing on the Isle of Oxney, UK
Primo (Serenellini) D/G
Isis D/G
Hohner B/E, G/C, C/F, Bb/Eb G/C/F
Liliputs D/G (G scale), C/F, Bb/Eb, Albrecht Custom D/G (G scale)

Jon Stapleton

« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2019, 01:12:18 PM »

Ahh i didn't know that!  Manila then from hemp!  When you think about it i regularly play a 90 year old set of bellows,  it beggars belief that a bit of card can put up with that kind of abuse for such a long time.

invadm

« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2019, 02:39:38 PM »

Ahh i didn't know that!  Manila then from hemp!  When you think about it i regularly play a 90 year old set of bellows,  it beggars belief that a bit of card can put up with that kind of abuse for such a long time.
if I'm not mistaken manilla cards still in use in fashion trade,I used to buy roles of different colours when I was working as manual pattern maker/cutter for clothing manufacturers many moons ago,first master pattern always drafted on a card..now days we use CAD CAM no more card or papers.I am sure you can find manilla card from 80 to 300 gr..guessing 240 + will be thick enough for bellows..only problem they come in 90cm wide and 90mt long roles.
here is a shop sells manilla pattern card, you might find more places who offers better price.

https://www.morplan.com/shop/en/morplan/pattern-manilla-cards   

Nick Collis Bird

« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2019, 07:55:09 AM »

if I'm not mistaken manilla cards still in use in fashion trade,I used to buy roles of different colours when I was working as manual pattern maker/cutter for clothing manufacturers many moons ago,first master pattern always drafted on a card..now days we use CAD CAM no more card or papers.I am sure you can find manilla card from 80 to 300 gr..guessing 240 + will be thick enough for bellows..only problem they come in 90cm wide and 90mt long roles.
here is a shop sells manilla pattern card, you might find more places who offers better price.

https://www.morplan.com/shop/en/morplan/pattern-manilla-cards   

Hmmm, it’s not the stuff we would use. When the site says “recycled materials” you think ah! What’s in it? Can the firm tell you it’s Ph ?
  We buy it in A1 sheets. If your just making one set of Bellows you certainly wouldn’t want yards and yards of it. Also, because it’s on a roll, the curl would be a problem.
   Anyway, as Theo says, Charlie Marshall sells it.
Has anyone heard of the song. “ Broken Alarm-clock Blues” ? It starts   “I woke up this Afternoon”

Rog

« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2019, 07:58:46 AM »

Nick, where do you get your A1 sheets?

Nick Collis Bird

« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2019, 08:35:08 AM »

I’ll have to check with my firm Rog. I’ll get back to you, the snag is you would have to buy a minimum of 500 sheets.
 Probably best to do an internet search crafts etc. Archival stuff is the answer.

Rog

« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2019, 08:55:53 AM »

Ok thanks. When I get around to it, I’ll just get the proper stuff  (:)
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal