Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: BorderBox Feb 2020  (Read 2019 times)

Peter Morris

BorderBox Feb 2020
« on: September 11, 2019, 07:28:21 PM »

I'm very delighted to be able to now say Rees and I are planning the third Borderbox day of melodeon workshops to be held on Sat. 22nd Feb.2020 in Oswestry school Oswestry. The format will be the same as last year, a session on the Friday night for early arrivals in a local pub, on Saturday there will be 3 x 2hr workshops in the morning, lunchtime sessions and 3 x 2 hr afternoon workshops, followed by a concert given by the tutors all closing at 7.30pm. Tea breaks will be held during the morning and afternoon sessions as required to suit the tutors.
As with last year there will be lunch and afternoon tea available in the venue at a small extra cost. Tea, coffee and biscuits are available and included within the day fee.
The workshops will be for Improver beginners, Intermediates and Experienced players, the description of the skill levels are on our website, see below. If there are sufficient begining beginners we will run a half day workshop.
I've saved the best until almost the end, the three tutors are, Issy Emeney, Steve Dumpleton and Cohen Braithwaite-Kilcoyne. I don't think any of the tutors need introduction, all are excellent players as well as tutors and those who come to this event will, I'm sure, go away with an amazing lot of info and stuff to work on that is going to improve their playing.
This year (2019) I reckon we found the right format, we might not be the biggest or most wide ranging melodeon workshop event, but we believe we have a friendly event. Everything takes place close to the main hall. So why not give us a try its just one day but it might be the day that changes your melodeon playing forever.
we'll be adding the workshops programme very soon but until then you can express and interest via the website  or if you know my email account just email me, and I will record everyone to contact when the programme is ready.
The website www.Borderbox.co.uk has the info, and my contact details.

Peter Morris

Re: BorderBox Feb 2020
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2019, 12:42:30 PM »

A big thanks to Rees, he has set up the programme and booking form on the website www.borderbox.co.uk so we are open for bookings.
Plus a write up of each of the tutors and as you can see all three: Cohen Issy and Steve are very accomplished players as well as experienced tutors. I hope as many as can will attend our third year whole day event (not forgetting the session on the Friday evening for those arriving early).
I look forward to having to arrange bigger workshop rooms to accommodate the crowds!!!!
Cheers

pete /acorn

• .Cast Trilly
    • Acorn Instruments
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2019, 02:51:58 PM »

Acorn Instruments will be there again with new and this year more pre owned instruments.

Come and say hello even if you are not involved with tuition,

www.acorninstruments.co.uk
Acorn Instruments are the official retailer for Castagnari Instruments,Melodeons and Accordions for England and Scotland and have an extensive stock of new instruments on the shelf for prompt delivery in standard layouts however these can easily be changed to customers specia lrequirements
 We also have the largest stock in the UK of  pre loved melodons all fully serviced,and with 12 months warranty
UK and international customers catered for
www.acorninstruments.co.uk

Wicked Lady

• Dino Baffetti Art 86, Castagnari Tommy, BP2
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2019, 10:56:52 AM »

Not having been to this event before may I ask if there is anywhere in particular that people stay, such as a Premier Inn? TIA

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
  • MAD is inevitable. Keep Calm and Carry On
    • Lizzie Dripping
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2019, 12:53:34 PM »

Not having been to this event before may I ask if there is anywhere in particular that people stay, such as a Premier Inn? TIA

PM sent
Steve
Sheffield, UK.
www.lizziedripping.org.uk

smiley

• Folk music: it's not as bad as it sounds
    • a few sound clips
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2019, 10:16:14 PM »

Ooh Steve ... you wouldn't be offering the 'Wicked Lady' a place to stay for the weekend?

Sorry about my vivid imagination, but we need a bit of juicy gossip around here  >:E

playandteach

• Currently a music teacher in a high school.
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2019, 11:50:33 PM »

I think this gives a reason to host a different thread altogether. Why did we pick our online handles? Smiley - is it real or ironic? Playandteach - pick a side! Peter Morris - a real name or an instruction? (which needs a vocative comma to make sense, but hey). The O? Maybe the coolest monniker. Clive or C live - street talk or biblical? AcornInstruments - have you even noticed that the German for Squirrel's tail is Eichhörnchenschwanz? If you slur that word it sounds just like Acorninshtrumentsh.
Serafini R2D2 GC, Serafini GC accs 18 bass

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2019, 12:54:03 AM »

I think Tone Dumb speaks for itself  ;D
Greg Smith
DG/GC Pokerwork, DG 2.4 Saltarelle, pre-war CF Hohner, Hohner 1040 Vienna style, old  BbEb Hohner that needs a lot of work.

ACCORDION, n. An instrument in harmony with the sentiments of an assassin. Ambrose Bierce

Anahata

• This mind intentionally left blank
  • Oakwood D/G, C/F Club, 1-rows in C,D,G
    • Treewind Music
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2019, 08:53:03 AM »

I had the pleasure of meting Ian a.k.a. Smiley last year, and his nickname seems well deserved.
"Tone dumb Greg" has demonstrated far too much musical intelligence here for his nom-de-keyboard to be anything but modest irony.
I'm a melodeon player. What's your excuse?
Music recording and web hosting: www.treewind.co.uk
Mary Humphreys and Anahata: www.maryanahata.co.uk
Ceilidh band: www.barleycoteband.co.uk

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2019, 11:40:45 AM »

..."Tone dumb Greg" has demonstrated far too much musical intelligence here for his nom-de-keyboard to be anything but modest irony.

You haven't heard me try and sing  ;D
I love the phrase nom-de-keyboard, though.
Greg Smith
DG/GC Pokerwork, DG 2.4 Saltarelle, pre-war CF Hohner, Hohner 1040 Vienna style, old  BbEb Hohner that needs a lot of work.

ACCORDION, n. An instrument in harmony with the sentiments of an assassin. Ambrose Bierce

richard.fleming

« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2019, 01:24:41 PM »

All for DG players, I presume?
« Last Edit: October 19, 2019, 10:33:05 AM by richard.fleming »
Old Paolo Sopranis in C#/D and D/D#

rees

• Windjammer
    • Wesson Accordions
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2019, 02:20:05 PM »

Yes Richard, all for D/G at BorderBox.
How do you fancy teaching a C#/D workshop sometime here in the Borders?
Rees Wesson (accordion builder and mechanic)
Gungrog, Welshpool, Wales, UK
www.melodeons.com

Anahata

• This mind intentionally left blank
  • Oakwood D/G, C/F Club, 1-rows in C,D,G
    • Treewind Music
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2019, 02:36:22 PM »

I love the phrase nom-de-keyboard, though.

Thank you, though I should have said nom-de-clavier for more consistent French. It was too early in the morning, pre-coffee...
I'm a melodeon player. What's your excuse?
Music recording and web hosting: www.treewind.co.uk
Mary Humphreys and Anahata: www.maryanahata.co.uk
Ceilidh band: www.barleycoteband.co.uk

richard.fleming

« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2019, 09:04:10 PM »

Yes Richard, all for D/G at BorderBox.
How do you fancy teaching a C#/D workshop sometime here in the Borders?
Hugely flattered, of course, but not at all sure I feel confident to do this.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2019, 07:52:54 AM by richard.fleming »
Old Paolo Sopranis in C#/D and D/D#
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal