Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How to make an index in ABCexplorer  (Read 1358 times)

ChrisP

• Respected Sage
  • West Yorkshire, UK
    • Chris Partington
How to make an index in ABCexplorer
« on: September 15, 2019, 06:31:43 PM »

I couldn't remember how to do this, so I Googled it and came across my own (!) explanation from 7 years ago in The Mustard Session. I thought it might be useful to repost it here, as it's not easy to find out from within ABCexplorer.

How to build customized indexes in ABCexplorer:-

A full explanation can be found in the Help File under ‘Window of Printable List’.
Here is how in a more user friendly way:-

All the files that you have loaded into the Explorer Window will be indexed; close the files that you don’t want to index.
All titles including alternative titles will be indexed. Your original files will not be altered.

1) In the tab ‘Filter’, select ‘Filter and replace list’ (or ‘add to list’). If you want to select all the tunes in all the open files, then leave all the filtering boxes empty. If you want to preselect the sort of tunes you want to index, then choose your filter now, to select only the sort of tunes that you want to add to the index.

2) Press ‘Apply filtering’. The tunes selected by your filtering are now copied into the Temporary List, not yet in alphabetical order.

3) In the menu of the Temporary List (in the Menu Bar or by right clicking in the list), select ‘Export list’ > ‘Convert into a printable list’: The ‘Printable List’ edit window is now displayed. You will see that the list has become alphabetical.

4) You can select the fields you want to include in the file by checking the boxes in the drop-down list "Include". The index can be exported as either a text file, or *.csv or *.tsv. For a text file, you can choose the separator between the fields (default is "/").

5) Name and save the file.

Roger Hare

• Urmston, Lancashire, U.K.
Re: How to make an index in ABCexplorer
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2019, 06:10:52 AM »

...3) In the menu of the Temporary List (in the Menu Bar or by right clicking in the list), select ‘Export list’ > ‘Convert into a printable list’: The ‘Printable List’ edit window is now displayed. You will see that the list has become alphabetical...
Hmm. When I tried this, I found that the 'Temporary List' tag was 'greyed-out' (ie: unusable) so I couldn't complete
the process. I also tried to follow the instructions from the Help information, but was stymied at the very start by
the fact that the 'Temporary List' tag was similarly 'greyed-out'.

I'm using v.1.6.1 - any suggestions about why I am seeing a 'greyed-out' tag? Any advice gratefully received.
Normally, I only use ABCexplorer to add chords to a tune...

Ta.

This is interesting to me because a while back I was attempting to build a database of ABC tunes, containing: X: and T: values,
(plus file name) to allow me to index a (large, multi-file) directory of ABC files. At the time, I corresponded with one of the
leading lights on this forum, I think he was trying the same thing using AWK. I've a crude prototype (using something else) which
catalogues 200,000+ tunes in a set of directories containing multiple ABC files, (and sub-directories) in seconds. The project is
incomplete, but I've put it on the back-burner till the 'programming season' (ie: winter)
« Last Edit: September 16, 2019, 06:42:55 AM by Roger Hare »
For more about Manchester Morris, The Beech Band Folk Club or anything else,  please use the private messaging facility.
My (large) ABC Tune Book is here.

Pete Dunk

• Typo Expert
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2019, 11:31:55 AM »

Roger, you need to click on a tune title (any tune title) in the Temporary List to make it active. Then the menu item will be available.
Squeezing on the Isle of Oxney, UK
Primo (Serenellini) D/G
Isis D/G
Hohner B/E, G/C, C/F, Bb/Eb G/C/F
Liliputs D/G (G scale), C/F, Bb/Eb, Albrecht Custom D/G (G scale)

Roger Hare

• Urmston, Lancashire, U.K.
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2019, 12:17:23 PM »

Roger, you need to click on a tune title (any tune title) in the Temporary List to make it active. Then the menu item will be available.
Thank you sir! The 'Temporary List' on my screen was scrunched up right at the bottom of the screen,
and I hadn't spotted it - I was clicking on tune names in the original list - to no avail, of course.

Job done! A useful feature! Thank you again.

Roger
For more about Manchester Morris, The Beech Band Folk Club or anything else,  please use the private messaging facility.
My (large) ABC Tune Book is here.

Pete Dunk

• Typo Expert
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2019, 04:34:00 PM »

The temporary list is a useful feature, mess about with it and see what it can do!
Squeezing on the Isle of Oxney, UK
Primo (Serenellini) D/G
Isis D/G
Hohner B/E, G/C, C/F, Bb/Eb G/C/F
Liliputs D/G (G scale), C/F, Bb/Eb, Albrecht Custom D/G (G scale)
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal