Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Meteor keys and quality  (Read 755 times)

Geoff

Meteor keys and quality
« on: September 17, 2019, 06:29:47 AM »

Hi. I have a two-part question:
1) Can anyone tell me what keys Meteor 2-row button accordions were made in, and
2) I get the feeling the quality was (is?) variable. Can anyone put me right on that please?
Thanks

Mike Hirst

• Primatona IV D/D#, Black Dot B/C, One Row in D
Re: Meteor keys and quality
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2019, 07:54:58 AM »

I have two Meteor instruments. Both were originally in B/C. Visually they are different. One is streamlined the other is square. celluloid is stretched over one and the other has been covered using individual cut pieces; the lettering on the nameplate is different; one has an acrylic keyboard and the other is metal. Both have the same internal mechanism. The sound is good and I have used both for recording with good success. The mechanism is prone to lateral movement and sticking, but otherwise it is reliable.

These will never be top quality instruments. One is in bits in a box in the loft and the other has a set of very good quality Italian reeds in C#/D. I play this around the house a lot. As I have said earlier I have used this for recording and occasionally as second instrument when I play ceilidhs. There is some audible clack, but nothing like some of the older Hohners I have encountered.

I have seen these instruments in C/F, B/C and G/C/F. I bought one from Hobgoblin new for £95 and the other cost £30 off eBay, so I am not precious about them at all. They've both had some hard knocks and been out in the rain, but they keep going and are valuable addition to the stable.
"Slip like Freudian, your first and last step to playing yourself like an Accordion" - MF DOOM - Madvillain

Geoff

Re: Meteor keys and quality
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2019, 10:11:18 AM »

Thanks Mike - that's very helpful
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal