Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Paolo Soprani C"D boxes  (Read 1408 times)

Danny

Paolo Soprani C"D boxes
« on: September 17, 2019, 04:36:03 PM »

I have seen 2 different designs on sale and wonder if anyone can tell me the difference,
and which is the better model in their opinion. I believe Theo Gibb is selling one, and the other is in Altranchim.
Thanks
T

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
Re: Paolo Soprani C"D boxes
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2019, 05:44:25 PM »

There are several differences.
The one I’m selling is 4 voice LMMM, 23 button treble and  it’s not been modified.
The other one is 3 voice 21 button and has been converted from a different tuning.  Which one is “better” will depend on whether you prefer 3 or 4 voices, and how you feel about the modifications.

More generally Paolo Soprani made many different versions of their two row boxes and I don't feel qualified to say which are the “best”
« Last Edit: September 17, 2019, 07:51:50 PM by Theo »
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

tirpous

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2019, 06:49:49 PM »

The one I’m selling is 4 voice LMM

Theo, I assume you mean LMMM ?

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2019, 07:52:21 PM »

Of course, thanks for pointing that out.   Now corrected.
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Danny

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2019, 09:13:19 PM »

Thanks Theo

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2019, 12:12:45 PM »

, and the other is in Altranchim.

Just spotted this.  The other one that is for sale on our Buy and Sell forum is in Glasgow.
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Vector

• Good talker
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2019, 02:23:12 PM »

not sure if this has been mentioned on the forum - but a recent pod cast has a nice mini history of these types of Paolos -
https://www.patreon.com/posts/episode-14-paddy-29855915
chasing the tunes

Stiamh

• Old grey C#/D pest
    • Packie Manus Byrne
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2019, 03:40:20 PM »

As Theo says, the one he has on offer is a four-voice. It comes from a period when the quality was generally reckoned to be good (the "horseshoe grille design" period). While some people like the magnificent full sound of a 4-v Paolo, they are relatively big and heavy, and nowadays the lighter three-voice models tend to be more sought after and probably command a higher price.

The one in Glasgow is advertised as a 1960s three-voice C#/D - a description that ought automatically to command a lot of interest and a high price. However the description is a little misleading because the accordion is not original but has been converted from a G/C model. This means that:

1. The treble keyboard has been converted from stepped to flat. What results this gives in terms of button height and travel, and suitabilty for the lever mechanism, is unknown. Could be absolutely fine but...
2. The treble keyboard has 21 buttons rather than 23, which would be normal on a Paolo made for the Irish market (and desirable in my opinion).
3. The reeds are apparently a mixture of old Paolo Soprani reeds and modern Italian ones. We don't know what kind of retuning was involved.

This box might sound absolutely great and play very well. But I think you would want to try it, or have someone knowledgeable try it for you. I wouldn't buy it otherwise, unless money is no object. And if you wanted to sell it on, you would probably have to wait a long time to find a buyer, as the present owner is having to do, and you may not get your money back.

Other points to consider: I think the Glasgow box is advertised as being tuned wet - and that is the preference of the man who did the conversion. You may or may not like that kind of tuning. If I understand correctly, Theo is going to overhaul the reeds on the one he is offering, which would mean that a buyer could specify what tuning he/she wants.

Hope this helps...

richard.fleming

« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2019, 04:07:40 PM »

As I have posted elsewhere, it is written inside the Glasgow box that it was converted from stepped keyboard by Lars Hansen of Copenhagen. Although a 21-button box,  it is also very likely to have  D/G on button 1 and A/E on button 11 on the C# row, which I think is originally a Lars Hansen modification, which extends the range very usefully. I have this on all my C#/D boxes. Everything I have heard about Lars Hansen inspires confidence especially with old Paolos in which I believe he takes a special interest. Among Paolo aficionados a 3-voice is seen as more desirable than a four voice,  and there are prejudices about the horse-shoe grill. A trip to Glasgow might well pay off and could include a session or two..
Theo - I hope none of this breaks the rules. Very happy to alter it if it does.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2019, 04:17:02 PM by richard.fleming »
Old Paolo Sopranis in C#/D and D/D#

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2019, 04:31:24 PM »

All useful info and perfectly ok by me.
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Stiamh

• Old grey C#/D pest
    • Packie Manus Byrne
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2019, 02:18:17 PM »

not sure if this has been mentioned on the forum - but a recent pod cast has a nice mini history of these types of Paolos -
https://www.patreon.com/posts/episode-14-paddy-29855915

Thanks for the nudge, Vector. I really enjoyed this podcast and will re-post it under recordings and videos with a bit more info. The history it gives, btw, is more about Paddy Fitzgerald's move from C#/D to B/C (which he seems pretty ambivalent about, in the final analysis) with a little bit about his move away from heavy Paolo Soprani boxes to a lighter Saltarelle.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal