Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Removing thirds from bass end on Castagnari Dinn III BC  (Read 1261 times)

Myndmusic

Removing thirds from bass end on Castagnari Dinn III BC
« on: September 11, 2019, 09:05:23 AM »

I am considering removing the thirds from my Castagnari Dinn III. It's a BC with 'modern' bass layout as per the diagrams on this forum. I have seen some of the earlier posts on the subject and Paul Young's excellent Youtube video for a Pokerwork. I have noted that several people say it's a bit more straightforward with Italian boxes than Hohners, but haven't seen an explanation of why that is. Perhaps the chords are logically aligned but some tips or even an image of the inside of a Castagnari box might help.

I haven't yet opened it up - still plucking up courage to dismantle given how much it cost me! I have been inside previous boxes - Pokerwork and Chinese BC - but not this one yet. I am armed with Scotch magic tape already as per the earlier posts' advice.

As a player of Irish music predominantly, although certainly not exclusively, I don't do much on the bass end and prefer to leave that to guitars in sessions, but occasionally and especially when playing on my own I like to hit the occasional chord and much prefer it without thirds.

Any help or advice much appreciated.
Steve R
Castagnari Dinn III B/C

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
    • Lester's Melodeon Emporium and Tune-a-Rama
Re: Removing thirds from bass end on Castagnari Dinn III BC
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2019, 09:11:53 AM »

It will be much easier to remove the thirds on a Castagnari than on a Hohner as the thirds in any chord pair will be on the same plate. This means you can apply the Magic Tape over the hole in the block to stop both reeds. All you need is a tuning meter of some sort to identify the reed to be blanked.
Taking the Castagnari apart is the same as any other box just requires courage, put a piece of cloth over the pin before grabbing it with your pliers to protect the casework.

Myndmusic

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2019, 09:20:35 AM »

It will be much easier to remove the thirds on a Castagnari than on a Hohner as the thirds in any chord pair will be on the same plate. This means you can apply the Magic Tape over the hole in the block to stop both reeds. All you need is a tuning meter of some sort to identify the reed to be blanked.
Taking the Castagnari apart is the same as any other box just requires courage, put a piece of cloth over the pin before grabbing it with your pliers to protect the casework.
Thanks Lester for quick response, much appreciated. Taping hole in the block sounds less tricky than tucking the tape under the reed which I saw in PY's video.
Steve R
Castagnari Dinn III B/C

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
  • MAD is inevitable. Keep Calm and Carry On
    • Lizzie Dripping
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2019, 09:35:36 AM »

What Lester said, although the only proviso I will add is to remove some of the tackiness of the Magic Tape before you apply it, by sticking it to an item of clothing - a tee shirt or jeans is ideal - and then peeling it off. Doing this a couple of times reduces the risk of pulling away slivers of wood from the reed block if/when you want to remove the tape at some future time. Magic tape is reasonably safe to use in this respect, but it can still sometimes pull off bits of wood. Only the slightest tackiness is needed, mostly to hold the tape in place while you replace the reed block. Once in place, the reed block clamps hold the tape securely over the air vents.

An alternative to Magic Tape is to use bits of Post-it notes cut to size; the adhesive on those is much more gentle.

You asked for a photo. I have attached one showing the interior of my 1914 box. The chords reed block is uppermost in the photo, with the widely spaced thirds reed plates just visible end-on on the lower side of the reed block, and with the aluminium slider to control the thirds visible on the right. (Your Dinn III won't have this sort of mechanism of course.)
Steve
Sheffield, UK.
www.lizziedripping.org.uk

Myndmusic

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2019, 01:21:47 PM »

What Lester said, although the only proviso I will add is to remove some of the tackiness of the Magic Tape before you apply it, by sticking it to an item of clothing - a tee shirt or jeans is ideal - and then peeling it off. Doing this a couple of times reduces the risk of pulling away slivers of wood from the reed block if/when you want to remove the tape at some future time. Magic tape is reasonably safe to use in this respect, but it can still sometimes pull off bits of wood. Only the slightest tackiness is needed, mostly to hold the tape in place while you replace the reed block. Once in place, the reed block clamps hold the tape securely over the air vents.

An alternative to Magic Tape is to use bits of Post-it notes cut to size; the adhesive on those is much more gentle.

You asked for a photo. I have attached one showing the interior of my 1914 box. The chords reed block is uppermost in the photo, with the widely spaced thirds reed plates just visible end-on on the lower side of the reed block, and with the aluminium slider to control the thirds visible on the right. (Your Dinn III won't have this sort of mechanism of course.)

Many thanks, Steve.

Hadn't really considered that serious stickiness may not be required as tape held in place by the block, so will take that advice on board. And thanks for the image as well.
Steve R
Castagnari Dinn III B/C

Myndmusic

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2019, 11:31:28 AM »

Mission accomplished! Many thanks for the advice here.

The hardest bit was plucking up courage to take out the first pin, but as suggested, the process seemed quite straightforward on this box and I am much happier with bass chord sound now.
Steve R
Castagnari Dinn III B/C

pete /acorn

• .Cast Trilly
    • Acorn Instruments
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2019, 12:30:33 PM »

Hi
If you want to fit a slide to do this I can do it for you,I have one in stock with a factory fit thirds slide
Acorn Instruments are the official retailer for Castagnari Instruments,Melodeons and Accordions for England and Scotland and have an extensive stock of new instruments on the shelf for prompt delivery in standard layouts however these can easily be changed to customers specia lrequirements
 We also have the largest stock in the UK of  pre loved melodons all fully serviced,and with 12 months warranty
UK and international customers catered for
www.acorninstruments.co.uk
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal