Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Reed price?  (Read 3784 times)

Lars

Reed price?
« on: January 16, 2008, 12:33:39 AM »

A question regarding surplus reeds:

Up for possible sale is the entire reed set from a mid 50's Paolo soprani 3-voice in B/C.

Three treble reeds are broken, and all would require new valves. No rusty reeds.

These sounded really amazing when they were in the box. Nice oom to the bass too.

They do not appear to have been tuned much, if ever. Lord knows they were blewn to an uneven tremolo when installed (25 cents, or thereabout).

BUT:

How much would you think it would be fair to ask for such a set? I know they need work, but these reeds ARE the real McCoy!

Any comments and/or inputs are welcomed.

BruceHenderson

• Respected Sage
Re: Reed price?
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2008, 02:15:29 AM »

(snip)    the entire reed set from a mid 50's Paolo soprani 3-voice in B/C. 

Any markings to indicate the manufacturer (of course, at that date they could very well be PS in-house hand-made) for these reeds.  They sound like a find!
I love one-rows!  Four reeds kick butt!!!!

Lars

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2008, 01:24:05 PM »

Two different markings on the reeds, though they otherwise seems from the same place. Some has a scratch in the top corner, making a small triangle, other have a line across the entire reed. These markings are ofcourse on the outside of the reed. No other type of markings, but they look very similar to that of my '60 paolo, evidence that it's same brand/make used across the paolo factory.

//L

an bosca ceoil

• Respected Sage
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2008, 06:23:04 PM »

Think the marks you see only tell you which side of the block they go? I cannot recall seeing anything on Italian reeds that would identify the maker.
Regards value, I would think you are talking about a new price just over 2 euro each so 180/190 before tax but presumably you know this if you are changing them? Why did you do it?
If you come up with a price I would be interested - costs nothing to say NO.
Regards,
Bruce

Lars

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2008, 07:36:41 PM »

BRUCE: it depends on the type of new reeds. Brand new set of Binci hand made would cost you a lot more than 200 euros, whereas the export quality would be about the price you mentioned.

I've gotten a hold of anther C#/D paolo from 1960, and I'm stripping the reeds from that to put into the one I've got these reeds from. Then I'm getting brand new binci reeds in D/D# for the other.

But before I sell them, I just wanted to know what price range to ask. To me, I think they should be at least the same value as new medium-quality reeds, but I don't know the marked. I have no intention of making big bucks on these, just hoping they'd cover some of the cost of new.

//Lars
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal