- 11 (33.3%)
Redwing
- 4 (12.1%)
Dashing White Sergeant
- 8 (24.2%)

Total Members Voted: 26

Voting closed: September 30, 2019, 10:26:34 PM

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Poll: Tune of the Month for October 2019  (Read 1284 times)

Clive Williams

• Administrator
    • Home Page
Poll: Tune of the Month for October 2019
« on: September 25, 2019, 10:26:34 PM »

Hi folks - this month...

Plant un Cao - traditional Auvergne schottische, in case you're interested, that's the Auvergne spelling. Plante un Chou is the French spelling of the same tune. Nice version here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6AQB5Md_lxI

Leyas Vaggvisan - Lars Karlsson (fine swedish accordionist) wrote this lovely piece. Thank you to Janneke for suggesting (and playing) it: https://youtu.be/46FjFUrhL3Q

Redwing - we had this in our poll a long time ago, and I think it deserves another chance! Here played by Lester, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=45odgDfM4lc

Dashing White Sergeant - trad Scottish dance tune, typically played for a specific dance of the same name. Normally played at a fair rate of knots, but of course you can play it at whatever speed you like. Here played by Hector, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vd7TaUBoAuY who is about as far from Scotland as you can get!

Happy voting everyone!

Peadar

Re: Poll: Tune of the Month for October 2019
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2019, 10:21:59 PM »

Dashing White Sergeant- aka "The White Cockade" and also the original tune for "The Red Flag" (composed by Jim Connell, an Irish Land Leaguer and at various stages in his career a London Docker, a journalist and a poacher.....absolutely natural fit with all things melodeon. Especially old 1 rows!
« Last Edit: September 30, 2019, 10:33:22 PM by Clive Williams »
Why should the devil have all the best instruments???

george garside

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2019, 11:59:26 PM »

the white cockaid  and dashing white sergeant are , as far as I am aware, completely different tunes.  I will dig out the respective dots to check.

george
author of DG tutor book "DG Melodeon a Crash Course for Beginners".

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2019, 12:05:14 AM »

the white cockaid  and dashing white sergeant are , as far as I am aware, completely different tunes...

george

I agree with George. If it had been the White Cockade I might have voted for it. It's a tune a keep meaning to learn, but never get around to.
Greg Smith
DG/GC Pokerwork, DG 2.4 Saltarelle, pre-war CF Hohner, Hohner 1040 Vienna style, old  BbEb Hohner that needs a lot of work.

ACCORDION, n. An instrument in harmony with the sentiments of an assassin. Ambrose Bierce

Graham Spencer

• MAD as a wet Hohner........
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2019, 06:07:45 AM »

the white cockaid  and dashing white sergeant are , as far as I am aware, completely different tunes.  I will dig out the respective dots to check.

george

You are 100% correct, George.  "The Red Flag"was indeed originally set to "The White Cockade" but it has absolutely nothing to do with "The Dashing White Sergeant".  Incidentally, I have heard claims that "DWS"is not Scottish at all, but from the West Country, and have heard it played as a steady polka.

Graham
Among others, Saltarelle Pastourelle II D/G; Hohner 4-stop 1-rows in C & G; assorted Hohners; 3-voice German (?) G/C of uncertain parentage; lovely little Hlavacek 1-row Heligonka; B♭/E♭ Koch. Newly acquired G/C Hohner Viktoria. Also Fender Jazz bass, Telecaster, Stratocaster, Epiphone Sheraton, Charvel-Jackson 00-style acoustic guitar, Danelectro 12-string and other stuff..........

Squeezing in the Cyprus sunshine
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal