Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Tune of the Month for October 2019: Leyas Vaggvisa  (Read 10091 times)

Fred

• G/C Pariselle, D/G Loffet & maybe too many Hohners
Re: Tune of the Month for October 2019: Leyas Vaggvisa
« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2019, 09:14:06 AM »

https://youtu.be/Yg0RIGm-V4g

Very enjoyable, thanks for sharing. I do like that you picked a straight rhythm most of the time instead of the syncopations like in the original video. :||:

Thoon

« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2019, 09:30:17 AM »

IMHO, « syncopations » are on the contrary the most interesting part of this melody.. 😁

Fred

« Reply #22 on: October 22, 2019, 09:41:30 AM »

IMHO, « syncopations » are on the contrary the most interesting part of this melody.. 😁

I like the variety of submissions and approaches.

Chris Brimley

« Reply #23 on: October 22, 2019, 10:39:49 AM »

Thoon, I thought that was masterful playing, and as a 14 bass player myself, who's interested to hear the sound of Pariselle boxes, I was listening closely to the sweetness of the overall sound.  How is your box tuned - is that Dedic, equal temperament, or what?

Thoon

« Reply #24 on: October 22, 2019, 12:10:47 PM »

Tuning is not completely finished! (Equal temperament). I have two voices (medium and low) at right hand. Perhaps it gives a very little vibrato that gives sweetness to the sound.. 😁

Ransom

« Reply #25 on: October 22, 2019, 02:55:49 PM »

I'm strangely undecided on the syncopations. They add a lot of spirit to it, but I find too many of them ... tiresome? So I just sprinkled in a few.

My own favorite embellishment to add is the II chord in bar 7. (I'm playing "on the inside row", of course).

My other notable variation was to put a V over the pick-ups, which did wonders for air management.

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
« Reply #26 on: October 22, 2019, 03:00:24 PM »

...I'm playing "on the inside row", of course

What key it played in? Sounds good.
Greg Smith
DG/GC Pokerwork, DG 2.4 Saltarelle, pre-war CF Hohner, Hohner 1040 Vienna style, old  BbEb Hohner that needs a lot of work.

ACCORDION, n. An instrument in harmony with the sentiments of an assassin. Ambrose Bierce

Dick Rees

• Neo-Luddite
« Reply #27 on: October 22, 2019, 05:10:07 PM »

IMHO, « syncopations » are on the contrary the most interesting part of this melody.. 😁

As do I.  One consequence of dropping or altering the original "snaps" in the melodic statement is to turn it into a waltz rather than the original visa form.  Visa in Swedish means "song" and I prefer to keep it in that vein rather than even it out into a dance form.

But however you play it it's a good sturdy piece of music and all the submissions are worthy.
"You're making the wrong mistakes."
...Thelonius Monk

"I never made one of my discoveries through the process of rational thinking."
...Albert Einstein

Cogito ergo bibo.
...Bacchus

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
« Reply #28 on: October 22, 2019, 05:53:30 PM »

As do I.  One consequence of dropping or altering the original "snaps" in the melodic statement is to turn it into a waltz rather than the original visa form.  Visa in Swedish means "song" and I prefer to keep it in that vein rather than even it out into a dance form.

But however you play it it's a good sturdy piece of music and all the submissions are worthy.

I like the variety too.
Vaggvisa refers to a particular type of song:- a lullaby. I wonder if Lars set words to it.
Greg Smith
DG/GC Pokerwork, DG 2.4 Saltarelle, pre-war CF Hohner, Hohner 1040 Vienna style, old  BbEb Hohner that needs a lot of work.

ACCORDION, n. An instrument in harmony with the sentiments of an assassin. Ambrose Bierce

Ransom

« Reply #29 on: October 23, 2019, 12:10:49 AM »

...I'm playing "on the inside row", of course
What key it played in? Sounds good.

My box is a Castagnari Laura G/C, so my version matched the original key of C.

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
« Reply #30 on: October 26, 2019, 10:11:04 AM »

It's a nice little tune. Played in C on the outside row of my CF Hohner, which has no accidentals.

https://soundcloud.com/greg-bradfield-smith/leyas-vaggvisa-25102
Greg Smith

Anahata

• This mind intentionally left blank
  • Oakwood D/G, C/F Club, 1-rows in C,D,G
    • Treewind Music
« Reply #31 on: October 27, 2019, 12:02:20 AM »

This has taken a while. It seems to need to be played on the inner row of a two row box, and D/G or C/F seem too high pitched, so I got out my Dino/Oakwood 3V G/C monster, on which everything on the left side sound like it's drowning the tune while I'm playing it. But on a recording, the balance doesn't seem so bad, though I still tweaked it a bit.
It's heavier box that I'm used to, and never feels really in control.

Here it is, anyway: https://youtu.be/N7p6RfP37D0
I'm a melodeon player. What's your excuse?
Music recording and web hosting: www.treewind.co.uk
Mary Humphreys and Anahata: www.maryanahata.co.uk
Ceilidh band: www.barleycoteband.co.uk

Sharon

• Regular debater
« Reply #32 on: October 27, 2019, 12:45:12 PM »

Hi!

With my DG I made in a Pariselle’s workshop.

https://youtu.be/BftOOAd7pQg

That's a lovely sound - beautifully played.

Sharon

• Regular debater
Re: Tune of the Month for October 2019: Leyas Vaggvisan
« Reply #33 on: October 27, 2019, 12:50:26 PM »

How have you got a F# chord on a DG?

I have a 12 bass  Saltarelle with an F#minor/F major combination, in the wrong directions to help  :(

Oh - that's frustrating! I've only learnt the tune because of lack of chords (D/G, 8 basses). I really like the tune - played it with my piano-accordion playing friend recently, so I let her deal with the chords LOL! I've only been playing since August - (on a Saltarelle Le Bouebe borrowed from piano-accordion friend!) and I'm currently trying to decide on what would be a good instrument for me to buy.....so hard to choose.

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
« Reply #34 on: October 27, 2019, 01:18:54 PM »

...I've only learnt the tune because of lack of chords (D/G, 8 basses)...

The chords  available on an 8 bass instrument limit your options a bit, but there are enough options available on a DG to make it possible to play something that works, in D. Just won't be quite the same, in one, or two, places.

It is a rewarding exercise to work out how to make  something work with the limitations you have. Doesn't always come off 100%, but you can surprise yourself and you will always learn.
Greg Smith

Sharon

• Regular debater
« Reply #35 on: October 27, 2019, 01:40:32 PM »

...I've only learnt the tune because of lack of chords (D/G, 8 basses)...

The chords  available on an 8 bass instrument limit your options a bit, but there are enough options available on a DG to make it possible to play something that works, in D. Just won't be quite the same, in one, or two, places.

It is a rewarding exercise to work out how to make  something work with the limitations you have. Doesn't always come off 100%, but you can surprise yourself and you will always learn.

(:) i’ll Have a look at the chords again now I’ve got the tune learnt.

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
« Reply #36 on: October 27, 2019, 05:13:25 PM »

I really like the tune - played it with my piano-accordion playing friend recently, so I let her deal with the chords

Also, there's no reason why you shouldn't post a recording of you and your friend playing together, if you feel like it.
Greg Smith

Sharon

• Regular debater
« Reply #37 on: October 27, 2019, 08:12:12 PM »

I really like the tune - played it with my piano-accordion playing friend recently, so I let her deal with the chords

Also, there's no reason why you shouldn't post a recording of you and your friend playing together, if you feel like it.

(:) She’s staying with me soon as we are both going to Witney Supersqueeze so i’ll try and get a recording of us playing it.

Fred

« Reply #38 on: October 27, 2019, 11:09:15 PM »

This has taken a while. It seems to need to be played on the inner row of a two row box, and D/G or C/F seem too high pitched, so I got out my Dino/Oakwood 3V G/C monster, on which everything on the left side sound like it's drowning the tune while I'm playing it. But on a recording, the balance doesn't seem so bad, though I still tweaked it a bit.
It's heavier box that I'm used to, and never feels really in control.

Here it is, anyway: https://youtu.be/N7p6RfP37D0

Such a nice sounding monster you have there. :)

LoonBox

• Good talker
  • Minneapolis Minnesota 🇺🇸
« Reply #39 on: October 31, 2019, 05:11:13 PM »

I liked this one and everyone's playing of it, especially Thoon. Thanks to Janneke for suggesting it.

https://youtu.be/Rra0meSjXiU
My grandfather's 1930s GC Hohner Burlwood. AD Hohner Presswood. DG Pokerwork with 4th button start. CF Preciosa- 4th button and doubled fifths. Bunch of project boxes and an in progress tuning bench. Also fiddles.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal