Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Chromatic Button Accordion  (Read 8146 times)

-Y-

• Handry 18 (G/C), Mélodie (D), Club IIb (A/D)
    • a database of 400 or more melodeons here
Re: Chromatic Button Accordion
« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2020, 02:28:37 PM »

Apparently it's not available anymore, they're designing a new one. Which is a good thing, seeing that the old version did not have the 12 notes on the left-hand side.
(how one could conceive a chromatic accordion without all the notes always seemed crazy to me)

bearwhisperer

« Reply #21 on: May 21, 2020, 04:36:13 AM »

I've considered Bernard's Petit Chromatic for some time. I understand it to have a stradella set up with 12 bass notes and chords with no thirds. May end up with one yet. I'd really like to try this idea of diatonic bass/chromatic treble first. As mentioned above, stradella bass has a lot to offer but I can't seem to get the French or the Morris styles to sound right on bass using my bourrouche. I understand that the whole bellows dance can not really be duplicated on chromatic but I'm just toying with the Idea of a hybrid sound. I really love so much about each system.

mudchutney

• Mudchutney
« Reply #22 on: May 29, 2020, 08:32:49 AM »

I'd be quite tempted by Bernard's Petit Chromatic too if I could afford it, it looks gorgeous!
Player of a Saltarelle Bourroche 5 row CBA
Purveyor of folky themed clothing at www.mudchutney.co.uk

-Y-

• Handry 18 (G/C), Mélodie (D), Club IIb (A/D)
    • a database of 400 or more melodeons here
« Reply #23 on: May 29, 2020, 08:38:43 AM »

I've considered Bernard's Petit Chromatic for some time. I understand it to have a stradella set up with 12 bass notes and chords with no thirds.

The first version only has 10 bass notes (that makes it kind of useless IMO), I think that's why they're working on a second version of it, to have all the notes on the left-hand side.

Chris Rayner

• Respected Sage
« Reply #24 on: May 29, 2020, 05:59:22 PM »

Apparently it's not available anymore, they're designing a new one. Which is a good thing, seeing that the old version did not have the 12 notes on the left-hand side.
(how one could conceive a chromatic accordion without all the notes always seemed crazy to me)

Coo!  I didn’t know that.  Makes it even more tempting.  😳
Elderly amateur musician hoping to stave off dementia by learning to play the melodeon.  Main instrument a Tommy, also D/G and G/C pokerworks,  a single row 2 stop Hohner, and a new addition to the free reedery, a rather splendid Paolo Soprani four voice 120 bass c-system chromatic button accordion.  Very shiny, very loud, and about the same size and weight as a small car.  Now I’ve traded me Benny with (ahem) a cash adjustment, to a three voice 60 bass Castagnari K3.

Kimric Smythe

• Smythe's Accordion Center
« Reply #25 on: August 02, 2020, 09:47:51 PM »

I got this little guy in Russia. It is a tiny B system 3 row (swapping the blocks would make it a C I think) It has a major and minor row. It is about the same size as a pokerwork hohner if not a bit smaller.
Stradella bass but biased for the key of A? https://www.instagram.com/p/CBtlm84J35F/
Smythe's Accordion Center
Pinole, California
Sales and repairs since 1997

Gonk

• (Mudlark Music)
    • Mudlark Music
« Reply #26 on: August 02, 2020, 10:09:39 PM »

Kimric, aren't the holes offset a bit differently on blocks 1 and 3?
Mudlark Music - restoration, repairs, lessons, and sales.  (USA)  http://mudlark-music.com

Kimric Smythe

• Smythe's Accordion Center
« Reply #27 on: August 03, 2020, 05:39:23 AM »

The blocks are screwed down to the deck and the two outer blocks looked the same when I popped it open. I have to relax and valve it so swapping the reeds would not be an issue anyway. It would be more of an issue if the reed blocks were canted.
Smythe's Accordion Center
Pinole, California
Sales and repairs since 1997

mwatersworld

« Reply #28 on: August 03, 2020, 05:44:23 AM »

Kimric - How much are you asking for this box as is, i.e. B system? I didn't see it on your website. I play B system.

Thanks,

Castagnari Lily DG, Hohner Galaad GC, Hohner Panther GCF, Hohner 1140 D, Hohner HA112 C, Hohner Eb/Bb, Excelsior Organetto G, Moskva Bayan CBA, Morse Beaumont Duet concertina, Concertina Connection Minstrel Anglo.

Chris Marriott

« Reply #29 on: November 02, 2020, 06:21:50 PM »

Love my Hohner C-system CBA. Small and light (for an accordion  ;) ) and so much easier to learn to play than a piano accordion (and I say that as a piano player). You can use the same fingering to play a tune in any key, which is wonderful.

Chris
Chris

Castagnari Marie-Nicole, English Concertina and Piano Accordion.

Peadar

« Reply #30 on: November 02, 2020, 07:31:46 PM »

I used to live in a mid-floor tenement flat in Edinburgh with neighbours on both sides, above and below, and sanded wooden floors too.  Strangely nobody ever complained so I guess my playing can't have been that bad.

No that's not it. Edinburgh tenements are damn near sound proof.
Why should the devil have all the best instruments???

pete /acorn

• .Cast Trilly
    • Acorn Instruments
« Reply #31 on: November 03, 2020, 08:13:08 PM »

I have in stock a Castagnari K2,small light weight,2 voice.
Full details on web site.
www.acorninstruments.co.uk
Acorn Instruments are the official retailer for Castagnari Instruments,Melodeons and Accordions for England and Scotland and have an extensive stock of new instruments on the shelf for prompt delivery in standard layouts however these can easily be changed to customers specia lrequirements
 We also have the largest stock in the UK of  pre loved melodons all fully serviced,and with 12 months warranty
UK and international customers catered for

Chris Rayner

• Respected Sage
« Reply #32 on: November 04, 2020, 12:32:38 PM »

If that is the little brother of the one I bought (3v) then I’ve played it, or its identical twin.  A lovely little instrument.🙂  I only went for the three voice version because I liked the variety.  Sometimes I wish I’d opted for lighter weight.  Not often, mind.
Elderly amateur musician hoping to stave off dementia by learning to play the melodeon.  Main instrument a Tommy, also D/G and G/C pokerworks,  a single row 2 stop Hohner, and a new addition to the free reedery, a rather splendid Paolo Soprani four voice 120 bass c-system chromatic button accordion.  Very shiny, very loud, and about the same size and weight as a small car.  Now I’ve traded me Benny with (ahem) a cash adjustment, to a three voice 60 bass Castagnari K3.

Chris Marriott

« Reply #33 on: November 04, 2020, 12:52:42 PM »

If that is the little brother of the one I bought (3v) then I’ve played it, or its identical twin.  A lovely little instrument.🙂  I only went for the three voice version because I liked the variety.  Sometimes I wish I’d opted for lighter weight.  Not often, mind.

Looks like a lovely instrument, Chris! The only real downside of the 60-and 72-bass instruments is the occasional jump from one end of the basses to the other if you play in some of the more obscure keys, but the lighter weight more than offsets that, I think. I have a 3-voice 96-bass Hohner C-system which I love. Not in the same class as yours, but all that current finances allow 😁.

Chris
Chris

Chris Rayner

• Respected Sage
« Reply #34 on: November 12, 2020, 01:35:53 PM »

Looks like a lovely instrument, Chris! The only real downside of the 60-and 72-bass instruments is the occasional jump from one end of the basses to the other if you play in some of the more obscure keys, but the lighter weight more than offsets that, I think. I have a 3-voice 96-bass Hohner C-system which I love. Not in the same class as yours, but all that current finances allow 😁.

Chris

Nothing wrong with Hohners.  I had a Hohner 96 bass, two, in fact, although I prefer the Italian sound.  As you say, jumping from one end to the other of the stradella bass is a bit of a pain, but I mostly play in the middle, so not so much of a problem.

I understand your unwillingness to part with the price of the K2, but, as I’m now 72 and reasonably well pensioned off I take the view that shrouds have no pockets, and time is not on my side. :-(

rebus

« Reply #35 on: December 28, 2020, 11:25:57 AM »

What's the minimum budget for a beginner CBA to start with?
Giustozzi Mod. 87a F/Bb
Dino Baffetti Mod. 85LC G/C

Chris Marriott

« Reply #36 on: December 28, 2020, 11:43:50 AM »

For a new instrument, something like the Hohner Nova II is at the bottom end of the range, at about £1500:

https://theaccordionshop.co.uk/accordions/hohner-nova-ii-72-bass-c-system-button-accordion/

You can buy a reasonable second-hand instrument for about half that, though.
Chris

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
  • MAD is inevitable. Keep Calm and Carry On
    • Lizzie Dripping
« Reply #37 on: December 28, 2020, 11:52:21 AM »

For a new instrument, something like the Hohner Nova II is at the bottom end of the range, at about £1500:

https://theaccordionshop.co.uk/accordions/hohner-nova-ii-72-bass-c-system-button-accordion/

There's one here:
https://www.acorninstruments.co.uk/listing.cfm?inst=177
£875 ono
Steve
Sheffield, UK.
www.lizziedripping.org.uk

baz parkes

• All Blacked Up
« Reply #38 on: December 28, 2020, 12:17:26 PM »

There's one here:
https://www.acorninstruments.co.uk/listing.cfm?inst=177
£875 ono

I'm sure I won't be the first to say this but you can buy from Pete with absolute confidence. This is also true of all other dealers/fettlers on this forum  :|glug
On the edge of Cheshire's Golden Triangle, apparently...

pete /acorn

• .Cast Trilly
    • Acorn Instruments
« Reply #39 on: December 28, 2020, 01:49:39 PM »

I also have a Castagnari ''hybrid''
CF acc treble,Stradella bass.

3 voice tipo a mano reeds LMM with register to remove bass note

£1750 serviced and tuned,£1495 as is
Great box

pic on web site

Acorn Instruments are the official retailer for Castagnari Instruments,Melodeons and Accordions for England and Scotland and have an extensive stock of new instruments on the shelf for prompt delivery in standard layouts however these can easily be changed to customers specia lrequirements
 We also have the largest stock in the UK of  pre loved melodons all fully serviced,and with 12 months warranty
UK and international customers catered for
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal