Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Tunes for learning by ear: Captain Pugwash  (Read 1262 times)

gmatkin

• Gavin Atkin
    • Julieandhersqueeze.com
Tunes for learning by ear: Captain Pugwash
« on: October 04, 2019, 04:31:29 PM »

Captain Puwash: https://youtu.be/cvYjJ7hDooY

There's an older, rather plainer version of this tune known as the Trumpet Hornpipe... And then it got adapted for TV. The Wikipedia says 'The series had a memorable signature tune, The Trumpet Hornpipe, played by accordionist Tom Edmundson and arranged by Philip Lane. It was recorded in 1954 in Northumberland on the button accordion and chosen from the BBC sound library. Edmundson had learned the tune from Jimmy Shand.'

But the 'jazzy bit' chords Edmundson are a falling series of semitones. The ones I have here are from Tony Hall, I think, though I'm sure he'd never play the tune as simply as I do!

Cheers, Gavin
« Last Edit: October 04, 2019, 04:39:52 PM by gmatkin »

The Oul' Boy

• Respected Sage
Re: Tunes for learning by ear: Captain Pugwash
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2019, 07:33:25 PM »

I was amused to hear Bollin Morris play this tune this past summer, which I instantly recognised from my childhood!
Warren M (Edinburgh, formerly Tyneside and Tyrone)
Hohner Pokerwork D/G

Alan Morley

• Alan Morley
    • UK Folk Music
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2019, 09:53:41 AM »

Black Pig Border Morris have always danced to this tune since the 1980's.... Well they would wouldn't they.
ISIS Melodeon, Hohner Erica,  Fender Strat Plus, Takamine, Hofner Violin Bass, Hohner CX12 Harmonica, etc.... Website: https://folk-music.uk

folkloristmark

• street entertainers
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2019, 01:19:23 PM »

I think Captain Pugwash is written for the series and is still under copywright . (at least the arrangement)The trumpet Hornpipe is very similair and when played people will say thats Pugwash .I stand to be corrected
Mark Taylor
Folkloristmark

Winston Smith

• AKA Edward Jennings
    • "Our Luxor B&B" Luxor life, slice by slice.
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2019, 02:10:30 PM »

I've heard many versions of Captain Pugwash over the years, and all are instantly recognisable. However, it seems to me that non of those I can recall, including Gary's here, are actually the same as the programme. I'll have to try to play what's in my memory, although I seem to remember that I did so a few years ago and that it couldn't be done on the 1 rows which I played exclusively at the time.
At last, broken and resigned to accept conformity.
Oh, how I LOVE Big Brother!

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2019, 03:06:07 PM »

The Captain Pugwash tune is, indeed, a setting of the 19C tune , of unknown origin, the Trumpet Hornpipe, aka the Thunder Hornpipe. It was played for the TV programme by Tom Edmundson on a chromatic button accordion in 1954. Tom learned the tune from Jimmy Shand.

I wouldn't sweat too much about copyright infringement. It's one musician's rendition of a tune in the public domain to a setting by anon, possibly Shand. And you're right, Winston, it's a setting that cannot be played on a one row, or a lot of two rows, come to that.
Greg Smith
DG/GC Pokerwork, DG 2.4 Saltarelle, pre-war CF Hohner, Hohner 1040 Vienna style, old  BbEb Hohner that needs a lot of work.

ACCORDION, n. An instrument in harmony with the sentiments of an assassin. Ambrose Bierce
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal