Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Fanning the flame  (Read 7474 times)

Randal Scott

• Respected Sage
  • Western USA
Re: Fanning the flame
« Reply #20 on: October 08, 2019, 03:43:57 PM »

I have a similar problem with boxes.  I enjoy playing, and they're fun, but not particularly musically inspiring.  The sound of a free reed, while pleasant enough, isn't the most interesting to me.  Yes, I'm spoiled - I grew up playing strings and woodwinds.

To illustrate - over on the accordion forum I cant relate as the population seem primarily interested in "classical" music, or standards, on accordion...which I cannot stand (on free reeds; I play Balkan or Brazilian or boogie-woogie).

So, i rarely play the box for myself, at home.  But I go every week to play at the homeless shelter.  It brings joy, and keeps my chops up reasonably well.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2019, 03:55:04 PM by catty »

playandteach

• Currently a music teacher in a high school.
« Reply #21 on: October 08, 2019, 07:41:04 PM »

La Sourde intro was a PDF ... here it is (I think ... can't tell if attachment works) .
Ah, no. That was a piece I wrote, having been inspired by La Sourde. Just a piece of counterpoint.
Serafini R2D2 GC, Serafini GC accs 18 bass

playandteach

« Reply #22 on: October 08, 2019, 08:31:15 PM »

Interestingly I just spent a while playing through that counterpoint piece, though of course I need a second player - catch 22. I don't want to spend the effort recording a part to a click track to play against. Then I grabbed some Telemann recorder music lying around, but very quickly ran out of notes. I could see myself really enjoying that, but I'd need a 3 row. I do still like the sound of my Serafini.

playandteach

« Reply #23 on: October 08, 2019, 11:43:59 PM »

Actually played a lot this evening trying out some solo line music, and then went back to some Naragonia stuff. Can anyone point me towards videos of more classical or solo line playing on melodeon? I think one of the issues for me is that I love subtle passing modulations which is limited on a 2 row.

Chris Brimley

« Reply #24 on: October 09, 2019, 09:10:12 AM »

Hmm - is the real reason for your 'anomie' that as a music teacher you simply find your box too limiting musically?  In which case, try one with more rows and basses.  Not only will working out its new possibilities give you enough scope for your imagination for decades, but also it will be inherently much more suitable for collaborations with other musicians.  I found out something interesting many years ago - if you want to play in a band, seek out the best players around of the instrument you'd like in the band.  Then approach them, and say to them, 'I'm starting a band, and I want a violin/singer/bass/crumhorn/piano/whatever player.  You're the best person I know, will you join the project?'  Human nature is such that they will invariably say yes!  What they will value most is your imagination in putting it together, your musical skills in putting together many of the arrangements, and your willingness to let them suggest music for your set.

fc diato

• Regular debater
« Reply #25 on: October 09, 2019, 10:39:11 AM »

Sorry about my La Sourde confusion. I obviously hadn’t tried it out (it’s in my growing ‘tunes to aspire to’ pile.)
classical or solo line playing
Do you mean something like this? (Benjamin Macke La Furstemberg, André Campra - 1697) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WfSoG9BRDGA&fbclid=IwAR1K4gc_6EvGXm6IsN2Glu7wpNoy8hI5T5apA_F1kkKiuyRRf6f7HS60XzU
But definitely need the three rows there ….
I love subtle passing modulations which is limited on a 2 row.
Maybe you’re approaching something of an answer to your question?
fc diato

arty

« Reply #26 on: October 09, 2019, 01:21:38 PM »

Have a look at this guy’s channel on YouTube, Pete. He seems to play a big range of music, Irish, Breton, Classical, Ancient. I particularly admire his use of the basses. I enjoy listening to him and his approach - it might offer some inspiration:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=EFuk1zuF1oc

Reading more of your recent posts, I get the idea that you are going to need a 3 row instrument with 18 basses. I don’t see how a two and a half row would satisfy your hunger for long.
Pre-Pokerwork C/F, Castagnari Laura G/C, Beltuna Sara 3 A/D, Castagnari Sander Special D/G

Randal Scott

• Respected Sage
  • Western USA
« Reply #27 on: October 09, 2019, 03:08:36 PM »

English concertina.

Jeremy Burnett

• Regular debater
« Reply #28 on: October 09, 2019, 03:13:20 PM »

I have to ask. What is a "subtle passing modulation" ?

byteofthecherry

• Good talker
« Reply #29 on: October 09, 2019, 04:10:49 PM »

It's Jazz 'man'.. 8)
1 X Corona II(ADG)..1X Early 'Darth Vader' Corona IIIR (Eb/Bb/Ab)..2 X Erica(DG/CF)..1X Club VictoriaX(CF)..1 X Club II(Bb/Eb) 4 X Liliput (DG(red)/BbEb(purple)/GC(purple)..2 X preciosa(D/G(green)/Bb/Eb(Grey)+ lots of guitars/banjos/saxes/brass/synthy 'stuff'

playandteach

« Reply #30 on: October 09, 2019, 06:28:52 PM »

Just a quick wander through a different key, without establishing it as a new tonal centre, often moving on somewhere new or back again very quickly. Just a bit of sun peeking through the clouds.

playandteach

« Reply #31 on: October 09, 2019, 06:31:59 PM »

Have a look at this guy’s channel on YouTube, Pete. He seems to play a big range of music, Irish, Breton, Classical, Ancient. I particularly admire his use of the basses. I enjoy listening to him and his approach - it might offer some inspiration:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=EFuk1zuF1oc
Thanks, Arty - looks right up my street. Funnily enough in Wensleydale, when I was brave enough to actually talk with Pascale Rubens, she said I 'needed' a 3 row. It was probably just because I knew where most of the notes were, though.

Jeremy Burnett

• Regular debater
« Reply #32 on: October 09, 2019, 07:49:20 PM »

Just a quick wander through a different key, without establishing it as a new tonal centre, often moving on somewhere new or back again very quickly. Just a bit of sun peeking through the clouds.
P&T, very good. My Missis who knows about these things says you have it exactly right.

Guy

• Not quite enough melodeons....
    • Cats Claw
« Reply #33 on: October 09, 2019, 11:14:13 PM »

Unlike "syncopation", which a jazz player memorably described as "an unsteady movement from bar to bar". Or was that a Morris musician's description?
Guy, in South Wales

Cats Claw, http://www.cats-claw.co.uk

Rob Lands

• Regular debater
« Reply #34 on: October 10, 2019, 10:35:42 AM »

or altenatively a word I cannot spell like rythmn

David Summers

• Regular debater
« Reply #35 on: October 10, 2019, 11:07:04 AM »

An example that I love is Vashti Bunyan, Where I Like To Stand. Its mainly in C minor, but for short passages it moves up to Eb major (same key signature); and the change from the minor key to the major brings a change of mood for just short periods. The first verse has a very clean cut between the two keys, but in the second verse it takes a couple of bars to firmly establish in the major.

playandteach

« Reply #36 on: October 18, 2019, 09:06:23 PM »

I was listening to this, this morning and I thought of you.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=KAR7zEHGWIc

Could you not find music of this type, to duet with your flautist daughter? I can imagine that could be wonderful. Do you know a competent pianist to accompany you?
Well, I've started playing again because someone has asked me to play background French music at a party. Which I can just about manage, if nobody is listening.
Then I thought I'd try your suggestion of playing some flute music. 2 problems, one is tinnitus is back, so I'm playing with ear plugs - but the second one is that very little of the music I picked up is possible on a 2 row. My box has accidentals at the bottom and in the middle, but the top octave doesn't have them. I may just decide to go to a bigger box, in the meantime can anyone suggest pieces (like the one I've just recorded quickly as an example - not to showcase my playing as it is a bit wooden here) that will fit on a 2 row. I'm happy transposing. I have a GC box with G sharp and C sharp Bb and Eb in the bottom and middle octaves only. I don't mind finding the odd alternative, but sometimes the chromatic note is the whole point. It doesn't have to be a slow piece either.
Telemann

arty

« Reply #37 on: October 29, 2019, 07:17:45 AM »

Someone else recently discovered. Benjamin Macke - if you Google him, he has an interesting website.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=WfSoG9BRDGA
Pre-Pokerwork C/F, Castagnari Laura G/C, Beltuna Sara 3 A/D, Castagnari Sander Special D/G

playandteach

« Reply #38 on: October 29, 2019, 10:09:23 AM »

Yes he does, thanks for that - though I need more notes for most of the tunes.

Jack Humphreys

• tunesbyjackhumphreys
« Reply #39 on: October 30, 2019, 08:29:31 AM »

or altenatively a word I cannot spell like rythmn

With this mnemonic you will henceforward spell it right!
Rhythm Has Your Two Hips Moving.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal