Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Fanning the flame  (Read 7470 times)

Chris Rayner

• Respected Sage
Re: Fanning the flame
« Reply #40 on: October 30, 2019, 12:49:20 PM »

Yes he does, thanks for that - though I need more notes for most of the tunes.

For this very reason I have recently started (at the age of 70, now 71) learning the chromatic button accordion.  I tried to get there with a three row G/C/Acc melodeon, but decided I should’ve started thirty years ago.  The CBA is much easier to play than it looks.  It’s also got four voices and a 120 stradella bass.  You do need to train with weights a bit.
Elderly amateur musician hoping to stave off dementia by learning to play the melodeon.  Main instrument a Tommy, also D/G and G/C pokerworks,  a single row 2 stop Hohner, and a new addition to the free reedery, a rather splendid Paolo Soprani four voice 120 bass c-system chromatic button accordion.  Very shiny, very loud, and about the same size and weight as a small car.  Now I’ve traded me Benny with (ahem) a cash adjustment, to a three voice 60 bass Castagnari K3.

playandteach

• Currently a music teacher in a high school.
« Reply #41 on: October 30, 2019, 02:23:15 PM »

For this very reason I have recently started (at the age of 70, now 71) learning the chromatic button accordion.  I tried to get there with a three row G/C/Acc melodeon, but decided I should’ve started thirty years ago.  The CBA is much easier to play than it looks.  It’s also got four voices and a 120 stradella bass.  You do need to train with weights a bit.
No desire to go back to the big beasts, but I am interested in which GG Acc melodeon you had, and if you still have it?
Serafini R2D2 GC, Serafini GC accs 18 bass

xgx

• Bagpipes & Musette Boxes... and Banjos, luv 'em!
« Reply #42 on: October 30, 2019, 02:49:28 PM »

No desire to go back to the big beasts (...)
CBAs
No need to go for the big beasts ... a 72 Bass, 5 Row with single and double reed couplers does the job and much less like the proverbial wardrobe on the chest  :)

... a three row Hohner Amati is also fairly lightweight and has a good sound ... for Hohner aficionados ;)

forget fanning, blow gently on the coals  ;D
Graham

N Cambs/S Lincs - UK   :|glug + :|glug:|||: = :|bl

Chris Rayner

• Respected Sage
« Reply #43 on: October 30, 2019, 05:32:11 PM »

No desire to go back to the big beasts, but I am interested in which GG Acc melodeon you had, and if you still have it?

It’s a Castagnari Benny with 12 bass.  I’m probably going to p-ex it for another more suitable instrument shortly.  B. Loffet does a small 20 bass three row CBA.  The basses are arranged as 10 fundamentals with corresponding thirdless chords.  They go from Eflat to Fsharp.  It is quite light at 4kilos.
Elderly amateur musician hoping to stave off dementia by learning to play the melodeon.  Main instrument a Tommy, also D/G and G/C pokerworks,  a single row 2 stop Hohner, and a new addition to the free reedery, a rather splendid Paolo Soprani four voice 120 bass c-system chromatic button accordion.  Very shiny, very loud, and about the same size and weight as a small car.  Now I’ve traded me Benny with (ahem) a cash adjustment, to a three voice 60 bass Castagnari K3.

playandteach

« Reply #44 on: October 30, 2019, 06:17:26 PM »

What are you looking for instrument-wise. I'm seriously considering a 3 row GC.

Pete Dunk

• Typo Expert
« Reply #45 on: October 31, 2019, 10:25:44 AM »

or altenatively a word I cannot spell like rythmn

With this mnemonic you will henceforward spell it right!
Rhythm Has Your Two Hips Moving.

Brilliant!
Squeezing on the Isle of Oxney, UK
Primo (Serenellini) D/G
Isis D/G
Hohner B/E, G/C, C/F, Bb/Eb G/C/F
Liliputs D/G (G scale), C/F, Bb/Eb, Albrecht Custom D/G (G scale)

Chris Rayner

• Respected Sage
« Reply #46 on: October 31, 2019, 11:03:03 AM »

What are you looking for instrument-wise. I'm seriously considering a 3 row GC.

I assume you are talking to me.  If not please accept my apologies.

I’m carting a number of currently underused boxes up to Witney Supersqueeze.  Pete of Acorn has promised to bring a Castagnari CBA for me to have a go on.  If it meets my requirements then I shall attempt to do a deal with the Benny and any other boxes he’ll give me a decent price on.  Failing that it’s probably the Loffet P’tit Chroma.  Who knows?  I’m still on my pilgrimage to find the perfect instrument.  It seems to be slightly more elusive than the Holy Grail.

playandteach

« Reply #47 on: October 31, 2019, 01:32:28 PM »

Yes, Chris, I should have made it clear. Good luck with the CBA trial. You are a fair way from me, otherwise I'd ask to try your Benny out, but we are many hours apart. You don't have any videos of you playing the Benny do you?

Chris Rayner

• Respected Sage
« Reply #48 on: October 31, 2019, 06:31:21 PM »

Yes, Chris, I should have made it clear. Good luck with the CBA trial. You are a fair way from me, otherwise I'd ask to try your Benny out, but we are many hours apart. You don't have any videos of you playing the Benny do you?

I fear not.  I have largely ceased to play it.  I’m not sure what you imagine you could learn from my somewhat hesitant and inexpert playing.  The sound of the instrument is pretty much what you might expect from a two voice Castagnari, fairly dry.  Although no doubt an expert fettler could make it more or less moist.  If you insist I could record something if you wish as a private exercise.

playandteach

« Reply #49 on: October 31, 2019, 06:59:31 PM »

No insistence, but it would certainly help me. Any old thing showing the sound of the two hands (I like dry tuning, so it's not about the tuning but the core sound). Perhaps something slow rather than bouncy.

Chris Rayner

• Respected Sage
« Reply #50 on: October 31, 2019, 09:39:11 PM »

No insistence, but it would certainly help me. Any old thing showing the sound of the two hands (I like dry tuning, so it's not about the tuning but the core sound). Perhaps something slow rather than bouncy.

I’ll give it a go tomorrow.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal