Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Keys and their descriptive features - "regles de composition"  (Read 3192 times)

Winston Smith

• AKA Edward Jennings
    • "Our Luxor B&B" Luxor life, slice by slice.
Re: Keys and their descriptive features - "regles de composition"
« Reply #20 on: October 15, 2019, 03:37:38 PM »

I'm hesitant to add my non-musical opinion here, but I do believe that there are some tunes which seem to be much more effecting in a particular key or on a particular instrument. An example is the bowed cello bits in this recording link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wcCmg9Oj9XM

It invariably makes my eyes moist! Is it really a phenomenon, or just the sensitivities of an emotional old codger?
At last, broken and resigned to accept conformity.
Oh, how I LOVE Big Brother!

Thrupenny Bit

• happily squeezing away in Devon
« Reply #21 on: October 15, 2019, 03:55:30 PM »

Thanks Greg, I think I get that...… certainly the bit that they should all be affected the same if moving to EQ.
I think too your second point was what I was thinking of when I referred to a tune sits better on my BbEb than on my DG and that it might have been originally played on an instrument of that key. Therefore 'returning' it to it's original key somehow fits easier on the ear. But I might be waffling here.
and....
I am known to be a frequent Mud Gazer... ;D
cheers
Q
Thrupenny Bit

I think I'm starting to get most of the notes in roughly the right order...... sometimes!

Thrupenny Bit

• happily squeezing away in Devon
« Reply #22 on: October 15, 2019, 03:57:07 PM »

Ah Winston, I think your point is what I too think.
I think....  ;)
Q
Thrupenny Bit

I think I'm starting to get most of the notes in roughly the right order...... sometimes!

Chris Brimley

« Reply #23 on: October 15, 2019, 03:59:45 PM »

I'm surprised nobody's yet mentioned the fact that the key a piece of music is in will have a big effect on how high or low a tune played in that key on a given instrument is likely to be, and that in itself will change the audience's emotional response to it.

And also, I don't by any means have perfect pitch, but after many years playing guitar and box, I do reckon I have developed enough of a 'pitch' memory to be able to predict within a semitone or so what a G or a D note on the box is going to sound like when I pull it out of the case (and therefore get somewhere near what a key will sound like).  Don't most players?

Richard Shaul

• Good talker
« Reply #24 on: October 15, 2019, 04:13:39 PM »

So picking up on recent points, has this something to do with how the composer originally wrote the music. What I mean is that if a composer was writing for an instrument with a set range of notes then the key he chose to write in would impact on the distribution of note above and below the key note that he had to work with, which could (would) influence the tune that they finally came up with.

playandteach

• Currently a music teacher in a high school.
« Reply #25 on: October 15, 2019, 04:58:30 PM »

So picking up on recent points, has this something to do with how the composer originally wrote the music. What I mean is that if a composer was writing for an instrument with a set range of notes then the key he chose to write in would impact on the distribution of note above and below the key note that he had to work with, which could (would) influence the tune that they finally came up with.
I don't believe so. C minor is a dark key with many composers across the periods writing their darkest works in that key - Beethoven, Shostakovich, to name only two. These pieces were written for a variety of instruments - and how the strings resonate while stopped, or in relation to the volume of air in the body are effects that don't link with how it lies on a piano, or on a transposing instrument. For the clarinet, there are weak notes right next to resonant notes, and changing from Bb clarinet to A clarinet will change how this responds, but not how the piece sounds and the impact of the key.
Rightly or wrongly what we are talking about is the characteristics of a key. This changes from person to person to a large extent, and also covers a range of pitch changes - so I can see that believing that the keys have retained a universally felt characteristic is difficult to get your head round. A lot of churches into gospel music tend to like Db - which is very close to C in pitch - but clearly a different emotion for them. It just makes life a bit more interesting. I don't claim any ability to recognise keys by ear, but I do appreciate the intent of a composer choosing that key.
Serafini R2D2 GC, Serafini GC accs 18 bass
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal