Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Tune of the Month for November 2019: Derriere les Carreaux  (Read 17124 times)

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
Re: Tune of the Month for November 2019: Derriere les Carreaux
« Reply #40 on: November 12, 2019, 11:43:40 PM »

I've sort of known this for a while, so it's been nice to have a serious go at it.
Fortunately (for you) my recording skills are not up to making it public.

It's your choice to post, or not post, but I reckon it's absolutely worth your while to learn how to record yourself. It teaches you the difference between what you think you sound like and what you actually sound like. It can be a shock, at first, but it really helps your playing get better (bearing in mind , that as soon as you press record you start making mistakes you never make).
« Last Edit: November 12, 2019, 11:47:08 PM by Tone Dumb Greg »
Greg Smith
DG/GC Pokerwork, DG 2.4 Saltarelle, pre-war CF Hohner, Hohner 1040 Vienna style, old  BbEb Hohner that needs a lot of work.

ACCORDION, n. An instrument in harmony with the sentiments of an assassin. Ambrose Bierce

Thoon

« Reply #41 on: November 13, 2019, 01:59:55 AM »

Thanks for feedback 🙂
I find scottish like « derrière les carreaux »  are difficult to play stable even if there are not particular rythm difficulties. Playing with metronome is a good exercise but my attempt is a bit school because I’m too much focused on tempo. Perhaps I will try an other attempt without metronome when I feel good with tempo.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2019, 01:56:51 AM by Thoon »

Dick Rees

• Neo-Luddite
« Reply #42 on: November 14, 2019, 05:16:11 PM »

Just a couple of observations as to tempo and rhythm:

Sometimes (often) the rhythm benefits from a bellows change rather than a longer cross-row section.  Keeping it in the groove using bigger muscles/appendages can take the load off the digits.

If you opt for crossing rows, throwing in shorter, crisper notes (stacatto if you will) can help.

Know the step, dance the dance, use your feetronomes.

Great bunch of recordings.  Fun listening.  Thanks.
"You're making the wrong mistakes."
...Thelonius Monk

"I never made one of my discoveries through the process of rational thinking."
...Albert Einstein

Cogito ergo bibo.
...Bacchus

Graham Spencer

• MAD as a wet Hohner........
« Reply #43 on: November 14, 2019, 07:00:20 PM »

Among others, Saltarelle Pastourelle II D/G; Hohner 4-stop 1-rows in C & G; assorted Hohners; 3-voice German (?) G/C of uncertain parentage; lovely little Hlavacek 1-row Heligonka; B♭/E♭ Koch. Newly acquired G/C Hohner Viktoria. Also Fender Jazz bass, Telecaster, Stratocaster, Epiphone Sheraton, Charvel-Jackson 00-style acoustic guitar, Danelectro 12-string and other stuff..........

Squeezing in the Cyprus sunshine

playandteach

• Currently a music teacher in a high school.
« Reply #44 on: November 14, 2019, 07:32:56 PM »

Just a couple of observations as to tempo and rhythm:

Sometimes (often) the rhythm benefits from a bellows change rather than a longer cross-row section.  Keeping it in the groove using bigger muscles/appendages can take the load off the digits.

If you opt for crossing rows, throwing in shorter, crisper notes (stacatto if you will) can help.

Know the step, dance the dance, use your feetronomes.
All apply to my melodeon playing, of course. I was actually moving in this month's piece, because I think it will help with the feel of the pulse - not for keeping time, but to help bring some weight to the weak beats. I don't think, though that tapping feet help a player stay in time: all they do is stay in time with their feet, not keep a steady pulse, or play in time with others. Obviously many of the players who tap play perfectly in time, it's just that those who don't, still don't when they tap - but they get more ingrained in their own world (whether steady or not). Of course moving and tapping aren't the same thing, as tapping is much more prone to irregularity.
I'm also trying to play more crisply, though this hasn't reached my left hand yet. As I have only really played cross row I am really lacking bellows control and this is becoming more obvious - but I don't know that I can dedicate time to unpicking it.
Serafini R2D2 GC, Serafini GC accs 18 bass

Eshed

• Respected Sage
« Reply #45 on: November 14, 2019, 08:06:40 PM »

I don't think, though that tapping feet help a player stay in time: all they do is stay in time with their feet, not keep a steady pulse, or play in time with others.
It definitely does for me. the difference between playing when tapping my feet and not is quite extreme, my rhythm in general became much more stable once I started tapping my feet. You might claim that I'm confusing cause with effect here, but we can easily test this by recording a tune twice, once with tapping and once without.
Do you have a Hohner from 1934-1945 with a serial number on?
Send me a private message or comment on the German Accordion Problem spreadsheet to improve the statistics of the project and get an estimate of the production date of the box if it is not known.

Julian S

• D/G Pastourelle 2, Dony, Pokerwork, G/C Pariselle
« Reply #46 on: November 14, 2019, 08:19:48 PM »

I must try tapping my feet with the rhythm of the dance tomorrow - D.Les.C. is such a great Scottish to dance to !
I'm very much in favour of knowing the basics of these kinds of dances, in approaching how to play them...not that I'm an expert in either.

J
Old Bones Dance Band

Earl Bryce

« Reply #47 on: November 15, 2019, 09:18:31 AM »

Hello all!
This is my first post on mel.net. After years of lurking around on here and lusting after a box of my own, I finally came across one way over here in California last month, so here I am!

I've really enjoyed listening to everyone's take on this tune, it's one of my favorites. It's definitely a tough one to keep an even tempo with, I agree that focusing on bellow changes helps pull it all together. Here's my go at it:
https://youtu.be/lVFv6VBG00s
Please forgive the obscene amounts of clickity-clack, I'm pretty sure the original felt from the 40s is still on the pallets.
Anyways, super excited to finally be posting here!

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
« Reply #48 on: November 15, 2019, 10:53:11 AM »

Hello all!
This is my first post on mel.net. After years of lurking around on here and lusting after a box of my own, I finally came across one way over here in California last month, so here I am!

I've really enjoyed listening to everyone's take on this tune, it's one of my favorites. It's definitely a tough one to keep an even tempo with, I agree that focusing on bellow changes helps pull it all together. Here's my go at it:
Please forgive the obscene amounts of clickity-clack, I'm pretty sure the original felt from the 40s is still on the pallets.

Hello and welcome Earl. Congratulations on finally succumbing  (:)
Nicely played. You make it sound well within your comfort zone. Good time keeping.
I find it hard to believe you've only had an instrument for a month.
The clackiness is nothing to be ashamed of, by the way, normal Hohner auto percussion. Always seems to sound louder on a recording, for some reason.

It can, more or less,  be fettled out.
Greg Smith
DG/GC Pokerwork, DG 2.4 Saltarelle, pre-war CF Hohner, Hohner 1040 Vienna style, old  BbEb Hohner that needs a lot of work.

ACCORDION, n. An instrument in harmony with the sentiments of an assassin. Ambrose Bierce

Fred

• G/C Pariselle, D/G Loffet & maybe too many Hohners
« Reply #49 on: November 15, 2019, 02:17:17 PM »

Here's my approach to this one. I tried to record it without major flaws for about an hour now and ended up just fooling around on this recording. Turned out pretty nice so I decided to just share it with you.
Tried to play faster and faster with each repetition. That was a nice practice for playing in Dmin which I don't normally play in and thus I don't know the right hand fingering and chords very well.

https://soundcloud.com/laubblaeser/derriere-les-carreux-take-2

Played in D minor on a G/C Pariselle workshop box. One medium voice.

All feedback welcome, even the honest and negative kind. ;-)

Pete Dunk

• Typo Expert
« Reply #50 on: November 15, 2019, 04:16:15 PM »

It's always a pleasure to listen to your playing Fred, your take on this tune is great fun and it didn't get away from you until the last time through. I had a huge grin on my face by the end!  :||:
Squeezing on the Isle of Oxney, UK
Primo (Serenellini) D/G
Isis D/G
Hohner B/E, G/C, C/F, Bb/Eb G/C/F
Liliputs D/G (G scale), C/F, Bb/Eb, Albrecht Custom D/G (G scale)

Fred

• G/C Pariselle, D/G Loffet & maybe too many Hohners
« Reply #51 on: November 15, 2019, 07:21:20 PM »

It's always a pleasure to listen to your playing Fred, your take on this tune is great fun and it didn't get away from you until the last time through. I had a huge grin on my face by the end!  :||:

Haha yes I thought so as well while playing and quickly decided to end the recording there.
Thanks for the nice words!

Eshed

• Respected Sage
« Reply #52 on: November 15, 2019, 09:40:51 PM »

Nice harmonies in that one, Fred! Seems like you're getting Dm better than you claim  ;)
Do you have a Hohner from 1934-1945 with a serial number on?
Send me a private message or comment on the German Accordion Problem spreadsheet to improve the statistics of the project and get an estimate of the production date of the box if it is not known.

Dick Rees

• Neo-Luddite
« Reply #53 on: November 15, 2019, 11:07:46 PM »

Here's my approach to this one. I tried to record it without major flaws for about an hour now and ended up just fooling around on this recording. Turned out pretty nice so I decided to just share it with you.
Tried to play faster and faster with each repetition. That was a nice practice for playing in Dmin which I don't normally play in and thus I don't know the right hand fingering and chords very well.

https://soundcloud.com/laubblaeser/derriere-les-carreux-take-2

Played in D minor on a G/C Pariselle workshop box. One medium voice.

All feedback welcome, even the honest and negative kind. ;-)

Brilliant start!  I love the various modes of D on a G/C box.  I'll bet this one will offer you many ideas in the future.  Enjoy the journey!
"You're making the wrong mistakes."
...Thelonius Monk

"I never made one of my discoveries through the process of rational thinking."
...Albert Einstein

Cogito ergo bibo.
...Bacchus

Saul Bailey

• Anarchist
  • Good talker
« Reply #54 on: November 16, 2019, 12:56:40 AM »

Hello all!

I refuse to believe you've only been at that for a month! I definitely look forward to hearing more of your lovely playing!! ('Clickity-clack' or 'natural percussion'? Hahaaa! ;D)
Castagnari Morys DG & CF, Pariselle BbEb, Saltarelle Neuilly DG, Castagnari Lilly DG, Pokerwork DG, Eric Martin G/C

fc diato

• Regular debater
« Reply #55 on: November 16, 2019, 11:33:36 AM »

I'll admit I did not much like this tune at first ... find it a tad boring (just me, sorry!)
Started coming around upon hearing Thoon's sustained chords.
Then Fred's slow version:  That first section was lovely - the slowdown gives space to play with rhythm both on treble and bass sides, and sets up nicely for the speed up ... no boredom, suddenly.  Fred: seems you've really made a jump in your playing lately!
fc diato

heartshaped1

• Good talker
« Reply #56 on: November 17, 2019, 04:48:25 PM »

Ah well I was very much in two minds about uploading this as there are already so many outstanding versions on this thread and I can hear all my mistakes ringing loud in my ears on this one, but then ToTM only keeps going if we all pitch in and I haven't done one for AGES so here it is to add to the merry throng!

Thanks to all who've posted their versions so far and inspired me to pick up the box and join you!

https://youtu.be/hFHdTlZ1JUs

Featuring the 'probably' oak melodeon mentioned in the oak melodeons thread recently, for those who are interested!

(excuse the massive hand at the end, couldn't be bothered with editing!)

Vicky.
G/C/Acc VanDerAa, D/G/Acc Hohner Lucia, D/G Pariselle, D/G Castagnari Mory, G/C Castagnari Lilium, C/F Hohner Club I, D/G Hohner Pokerwork

playandteach

• Currently a music teacher in a high school.
« Reply #57 on: November 17, 2019, 06:06:46 PM »

You're right about everyone needing to have a go now and then - which is what worries me when there's feedback of the tips for improvement type. As you also said, we normally know our own flaws, despite uploading it anyway.
Good to see you on here again. It took me a while to work out what I was hearing - that D major chord is a nice bright moment. Good steady pace too.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2019, 06:08:36 PM by playandteach »
Serafini R2D2 GC, Serafini GC accs 18 bass

Earl Bryce

« Reply #58 on: November 18, 2019, 05:43:31 AM »

Thank you for the warm welcome!
I refuse to believe you've only been at that for a month!
I find it hard to believe you've only had an instrument for a month.
As much as it would be wonderful to be that talented, I've been playing piano accordion for a few years, so even though I'm new to the diatonic setup, there are some transferable skills. I've totally fallen for everything about the diatonic accordion though, "natural percussion" and all hahaha.

Vicky, that possibly oak melodeon is beautiful! It sounds lovely too, and you play it very well. I like the accents you do on the left hand side, it's a good rhythm

Little Eggy

« Reply #59 on: November 18, 2019, 10:46:00 AM »

Here goes with my first bash at a TotM. 

https://youtu.be/ERhNyH0q2Os

I've been playing about three years - mostly English Morris - so this was a bit of a challenge.

Better bellows control, more row crossing to smooth it out definitely needed.

But it's a lovely tune to play.  Played on my Emmanuelle Pariselle D/G (from Theo).
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal