Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Tune of the Month for November 2019: Derriere les Carreaux  (Read 17121 times)

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
Re: Tune of the Month for November 2019: Derriere les Carreaux
« Reply #80 on: November 29, 2019, 11:18:49 AM »

and here's mine.
Including a late contribution to last month's theme.
https://soundcloud.com/greg-bradfield-smith/derrier-les-carreaux
Greg Smith
DG/GC Pokerwork, DG 2.4 Saltarelle, pre-war CF Hohner, Hohner 1040 Vienna style, old  BbEb Hohner that needs a lot of work.

ACCORDION, n. An instrument in harmony with the sentiments of an assassin. Ambrose Bierce

playandteach

• Currently a music teacher in a high school.
« Reply #81 on: November 29, 2019, 11:37:48 AM »

Both are lovely. Very light sounding.
Serafini R2D2 GC, Serafini GC accs 18 bass

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
« Reply #82 on: November 29, 2019, 12:13:39 PM »

Both are lovely. Very light sounding.

If you mean me, thank you. ;D

I realised early that I wasn't to come up with a thoughtful moody melodic version, so I went for something different.
Greg Smith
DG/GC Pokerwork, DG 2.4 Saltarelle, pre-war CF Hohner, Hohner 1040 Vienna style, old  BbEb Hohner that needs a lot of work.

ACCORDION, n. An instrument in harmony with the sentiments of an assassin. Ambrose Bierce

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
« Reply #83 on: November 29, 2019, 02:38:23 PM »

I have really got to move on...so here is my latest attempt, can't see much improvement likely at my age...but will keep trying !
https://youtu.be/s3qmsEmmPp8

Julian
Thanks for that, Julian, lovely cross rowing. What's happening on the excursions to the helper row? Seems really complex.
I think you're wrong, by the way, improvement keeps happening.
Greg Smith

Julian S

• D/G Pastourelle 2, Dony, Pokerwork, G/C Pariselle
« Reply #84 on: November 29, 2019, 03:36:30 PM »

Thanks for your very kind comments Greg - much appreciated.
 I have two different versions of the tune - one taught by Andy Cutting in a workshop (can't remember where or when), and the original dots and recording by Frederic Paris- so I think I was mixing them up a bit and using my D and E reversals and D# on the helper row as well. The main challenge I found was avoiding speeding up - particularly when cross rowing, and when I tried adding a second tune my speed control went out of the window.
I found a great recording by Greg Jolivet and Andy C somewhere - fast but so well controlled - must post a link.

Julian
Old Bones Dance Band

Julian S

• D/G Pastourelle 2, Dony, Pokerwork, G/C Pariselle
« Reply #85 on: November 29, 2019, 03:38:19 PM »

And here are Greg and Andy pairing Carreaux with Mominette...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vlUGzykzN3s

J
Old Bones Dance Band

playandteach

« Reply #86 on: November 29, 2019, 07:04:07 PM »

Thanks for your very kind comments Greg - much appreciated.
The main challenge I found was avoiding speeding up - particularly when cross rowing, and when I tried adding a second tune my speed control went out of the window.
I found a great recording by Greg Jolivet and Andy C somewhere - fast but so well controlled - must post a link.
Julian
I play table tennis a lot. Every match there's someone whose game I can't handle, but my team mates beat them easily, then I beat other opponents who my team mates struggle with. I think it's the same with tunes - I've heard you play in the flesh and I can't hope to have the same command, but then a tune that suits my style comes up and I can't see why others find it harder than the stuff they can play all day long. I admire your contributions here, especially the ones you are frustrated by - because of the openness to share things that you are personally less satisfied with. Sometimes our less polished performances are more encouraging than the brilliant ones.
Keep it up. I do have lots of strategies for practising out flaws (none of which I use, because the melodeon is for me a relax tool rather than a work one) but if you ever want to talk about how to break a skill down, I'm happy to help. I suspect you and most others here already know them though.

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
« Reply #87 on: November 29, 2019, 08:27:24 PM »

And here are Greg and Andy pairing Carreaux with Mominette...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vlUGzykzN3s

J

;D ;D ;D

I wish. Maybe I'll get to play them with at Halsway, next year.

[I used the recording you posted a lot when I was learning Mominette, aka Schottische a Bethany.]
« Last Edit: November 29, 2019, 08:31:20 PM by Tone Dumb Greg »
Greg Smith

Gena Crisman

• 🇬🇧
« Reply #88 on: November 29, 2019, 09:15:03 PM »

Been taking a bit of a break from TotM (and a lot of internet things really), decided to pop back for this one since I quite liked some of the early reference recordings, but, not others - this recording by (I think?) La Chavannée shared by Steve Freereeder (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PSSP6Ir7ans&feature=youtu.be&t=139) was largely inspirational to me in terms of actually becoming smitten with the tune. Really love the alternative melodies they play, and a drone seems to really suit the tune. I didn't do any of that though, I just thought it was cool.

What really got me though is that everyone seems so keen to play this tune quite quickly? Also, I really have no idea what a schottische is or how to approach one, so, I mostly just went with what felt good to me. I also played around a bit with my chords and playing basses that don't necessarily go with the chords, a bit of right hand chording, Em/C -> D/C -> Bm -> Am -> Bm -> Em sounded pretty nice, and lets me sell my right hand side chord intro. Low G scale is great and all but sadly offers you nothing to play under your E besides the low C, but that feeds nicely into the above sequence. Also, for fun and a bit of ending flavour, the final B runs with the chords G -> Am -> Bm -> C -> D -> Em, a nice ascending bit of nonsense. I'd like to be building more difference repeat to repeat, rather than feeling like I came up with one good idea that I just play over and over, which I battled with here a bit, but I think there's still room for improving my arrangements. Actually spending any time on coming up with an arrangement is probably worthwhile, rather than just seat-of-pantsing it on the evening of recording.

The tune doesn't really 'go' to a lot of places, and after finishing the recording I did worry I'd accidentally played a part an extra time but, I don't think I did? Having listened through a few times now, I haven't noticed it, but, there's still a chance I've made a mistake I suppose!

Anyway, here we go:
Derriere les Carreaux
https://youtu.be/u9RNBGm8W5Q
nb - apparently I have a squeak in my box that rather mars this recording, disappointingly

Stop settings:
everything's on!

Anahata

• This mind intentionally left blank
  • Oakwood D/G, C/F Club, 1-rows in C,D,G
    • Treewind Music
« Reply #89 on: November 29, 2019, 11:59:43 PM »

this recording by (I think?) La Chavannée shared by Steve Freereeder (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PSSP6Ir7ans&feature=youtu.be&t=139) was largely inspirational to me in terms of actually becoming smitten with the tune.

Thanks for posting that link again, which reassured me that my version wasn't necessarily too slow.
I'm a melodeon player. What's your excuse?
Music recording and web hosting: www.treewind.co.uk
Mary Humphreys and Anahata: www.maryanahata.co.uk
Ceilidh band: www.barleycoteband.co.uk

Gary P Chapin

• L'Accordéonaire
  • We are all the Free Reed Liberation Orchestra
    • l'Accordéonaire
« Reply #90 on: November 30, 2019, 12:35:41 AM »

This tune has been kicking my butt all month. I will post eventually, but it will be late. I don't know why, but some tunes I become obsessive about because there's an indescribable tricky something to them.

I appreciate everyone's posting. It has been inspirational, as always.
Read the l'Accordéonaire French music blog: http://accordeonaire.com/
The Bal Folk Tune Book Project: https://accordeonaire.com/bal-folk-tune-book-project/
The Free Reed Liberation Orchestra: https://accordeonaire.com/the-free-reed-liberation-orchestra/

Saul Bailey

• Anarchist
  • Good talker
« Reply #91 on: November 30, 2019, 01:01:23 PM »

What really got me though is that everyone seems so keen to play this tune quite quickly? Also, I really have no idea what a schottische is or how to approach one, so, I mostly just went with what felt good to me.

It just feels natural to some of us to play it quickly - the beauty is that we can all play it the way we want to hear it, so we'll all play it differently. I think the diversity should be celebrated rather than questioned...
Castagnari Morys DG & CF, Pariselle BbEb, Saltarelle Neuilly DG, Castagnari Lilly DG, Pokerwork DG, Eric Martin G/C

Gena Crisman

• 🇬🇧
« Reply #92 on: November 30, 2019, 02:28:24 PM »

It just feels natural to some of us to play it quickly - the beauty is that we can all play it the way we want to hear it, so we'll all play it differently. I think the diversity should be celebrated rather than questioned...

Ah, well, I do like to question everything. Probably the justification for that is some tired concept of it being 'important to understand, as well as celebrate', I suppose.

Given your taking the time to quote me however, and my likely very fallible reading of subtext, I feel the need to apologise in case that part of my post (and my earlier one upthread) brought with them the implication that I was asking "why is everyone playing this tune in this [obviously wrong] way?" and that they ought to stop it - that certainly would not be my intent.

Instead, I'd intended to include my observation there as it had been part of what the fueled me to learn to play the tune, so I could play it in the vein of how I'd want to hear it - so, just as you say. I do like to 'show my work' in my TotM posts, and describe how I arrive at the conclusions I make, and that usually includes my journey of interacting with the tune/s. And in this case, it turns out I'm a significant outlier when it comes to the tempo - which personally I find fascinating, so, hooray for diversity? It was in no way meant as a besmirchment upon anyone else
(edit; ), it was just an offhand, somewhat surprised, observation.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2019, 02:42:33 PM by Gena Crisman »

Anahata

• Treewind Music
« Reply #93 on: November 30, 2019, 03:45:36 PM »

Also, I really have no idea what a schottische is or how to approach one, so, I mostly just went with what felt good to me.

Find your nearest French Dance group and get somebody to teach you how to dance a Schottiche (Scottish, as the French call it) The basic steps are quite easy and all you need in order to get a  feel for the correct speed (or range of speeds).

You don't have to play it at dance speed, of course, but at least then if you choose not to, you are making an informed decision.
Also by knowing the dance, you get the shape of the 4-bar sequence, where the important beats are, because your feet have been there, and then you'll know how to make a tune sound like a Schottische.

Winston Smith

• AKA Edward Jennings
    • "Our Luxor B&B" Luxor life, slice by slice.
« Reply #94 on: November 30, 2019, 08:30:49 PM »

Interesting Anahata. But, if it's French and they pronounce it "Scottish", then why do I hear it pronounced as "Shoteesh" (well, more or less!) here in England?
At last, broken and resigned to accept conformity.
Oh, how I LOVE Big Brother!

playandteach

« Reply #95 on: November 30, 2019, 08:54:11 PM »

Don't get me started on French Horn and Cor Anglais. Actually, that is an interesting distinction.

Anahata

• Treewind Music
« Reply #96 on: November 30, 2019, 09:04:05 PM »

If it's French and they pronounce it "Scottish", then why do I hear it pronounced as "Shoteesh" (well, more or less!) here in England?

A good question!
Wikipedia has it in many languages, and most of them (as far as I can tell) pronounce it the way we do.

Jesse Smith

• Buffalo, NY, USA
« Reply #97 on: November 30, 2019, 09:36:02 PM »

In Old Time American I have heard it pronounced like "shoddish".
Hohner Pokerwork D/G (x2!), Hohner one row four stops in D and C, Hohner Presswood C/F.

Earl Bryce

« Reply #98 on: November 30, 2019, 09:36:28 PM »

Having a dance that goes along with a song is a new concept to me, but I like how it adds another layer of depth to a tune and another way to look at tunes in different and creative ways. Some of us naturally hear this tune fast, some slow, but being able to approach it with the intention of playing it as a polka or a hornpipe for example helps open your mind to new ways of playing.

How many of you on here dance these tunes, or at least know the dances that accompany them?

Clive Williams

• Administrator
    • Home Page
« Reply #99 on: December 01, 2019, 07:24:54 AM »

Thanks everyone - great selection this month! Onto the next tune; as ever please post late contributions here on the end
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal