Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: Theme of the Month for November 2019: Hornpipes  (Read 9326 times)

Clawhammer

• Good talker
Re: Theme of the Month for November 2019: Hornpipes
« Reply #60 on: November 26, 2019, 01:57:23 PM »

"Thanks, Anahata"  said the American Bill CORSER (where did the letter "u" go?)
trying to capably ride a pair of Baldoni DG and Baffetti BP II D/G boxes.

Ellisteph

« Reply #61 on: November 27, 2019, 03:29:58 PM »

Here's what Clive calls 'one of those wonderful 3/2 things' - Downfall of the Gin from John Offord's book 'John of the Green the Cheshire Way' which I am slowly - very slowly - working my way through.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7R7_9n68Swg
Salterelle Connemara III, Loffet Pro C/F

Thrupenny Bit

• happily squeezing away in Devon
« Reply #62 on: November 27, 2019, 04:13:31 PM »

Ellisteph: Well I'm blowed!
I thought I was the only one playing this tune, after a tip from Anahata that it was a good 'un.
Well done, and good to air our forgotten tunes.
cheers
Q
Thrupenny Bit

I think I'm starting to get most of the notes in roughly the right order...... sometimes!

Ellisteph

« Reply #63 on: November 27, 2019, 06:45:04 PM »

Ellisteph: Well I'm blowed!
I thought I was the only one playing this tune, after a tip from Anahata that it was a good 'un.
Well done, and good to air our forgotten tunes.
cheers
Q
Thanks very much - it was a challenge to learn, but been on my to do list for some time, and this month's theme gave me the impetus to put the time in. I should have explained that the tune is in Em in the book, but I'm playing it on my C/F in Dm because
a) my Salterelle D/G is poorly (going to take it to Theo in a couple of weeks)
b) One of my fiddle playing friends plays it in Dm

Cheers,
Ellis
Salterelle Connemara III, Loffet Pro C/F

Thrupenny Bit

• happily squeezing away in Devon
« Reply #64 on: November 27, 2019, 07:33:14 PM »

Yes, I play it on my DG in Em.
It is an odd tune and I quite think it can be quite doom laden, possibly reflected by the title!
cheers
Q
Thrupenny Bit

I think I'm starting to get most of the notes in roughly the right order...... sometimes!

Jesse Smith

• Buffalo, NY, USA
« Reply #65 on: November 30, 2019, 05:37:45 AM »

The Steamboat Hornpipe

Here's my last minute entry, an old chestnut and a bit quick and dirty because I only learned it yesterday! I was working on a more complex tune for this month but it became clear I didn't have enough practice time to get it down by the end of the month. Then while I was noodling around the other day, this one fell under my fingers pretty quickly and I decided to give it a go. Played on the Hohner 114 as an excuse for not worrying about the chords, and audio only because it was recorded in "the engine room", aka my basement, amidst the pipes for the steam boiler!

(Actually, I think the four stopper is great for this tune, with the basses chugging away like a steam engine.)
« Last Edit: November 30, 2019, 05:44:07 AM by Jesse Smith »
Hohner Pokerwork D/G (x2!), Hohner one row four stops in D and C, Hohner Presswood C/F.

Eshed

• Respected Sage
« Reply #66 on: November 30, 2019, 08:38:55 PM »

Just in time!
Tumbler's Hornpipe - https://youtu.be/KArHWl0hap8
Third time through I've tried to do something fancy with the basses, immediate fumble ;D I took it as a sign that I should spare the neighbours from more takes.

Many thanks to Fred of this parish for getting this tune stuck in my brain.
Do you have a Hohner from 1934-1945 with a serial number on?
Send me a private message or comment on the German Accordion Problem spreadsheet to improve the statistics of the project and get an estimate of the production date of the box if it is not known.

Anahata

• This mind intentionally left blank
  • Oakwood D/G, C/F Club, 1-rows in C,D,G
    • Treewind Music
« Reply #67 on: November 30, 2019, 08:56:46 PM »

The Steamboat Hornpipe
(Actually, I think the four stopper is great for this tune, with the basses chugging away like a steam engine.)

Indeed, and your performance makes a convincing case for that view!
I'm a melodeon player. What's your excuse?
Music recording and web hosting: www.treewind.co.uk
Mary Humphreys and Anahata: www.maryanahata.co.uk
Ceilidh band: www.barleycoteband.co.uk

Gena Crisman

• 🇬🇧
« Reply #68 on: November 30, 2019, 10:13:46 PM »

A lot of great tunes & a lot of great playing! Hornpipes, especially of not 2/2 or 4/4 variety, is a bit of a knowledge gap for me, so I've taken a keen interest in this thread, but, have been a bit too busy to comment as things have gone along. So, better late than never, and in reverse chronological order:

Eshed - Tumbler's Hornpipe; Lovely, both in terms of playing and expressions. Still enjoying seeing the G box in action, and uh, your seemingly growing collection of instruments. Enjoying your bass and harmony work.

Jesse Smith - The Steamboat Hornpipe; I really enjoyed this, you're spot on about the 4 stop. Suits it to a T. I should really learn this tune, because it's neat and comes up somehow both more frequently and less frequently than I think.

Ellisteph - Downfall of the Gin; What an interesting tune! There really are a lot of Gin inspired tunes. Also very interesting to watch you play your way around your 3 row instrument there.

Anahata - Jack The Horse Courser's and Iron legs; This starts out so jolly! I love the brief departure to D that is somehow even more jolly! I think I've had the Iron Legs Hornpipes stuck in my head for like, several months, and didn't know what it was? Enjoyed the RHS harmony and bass work very much.

Squeaky Pete - Remember Me; Oooh I'm really quite surprised at how fond of this tune I have become after listening to your playing here, thank you for sharing it! You put a lovely lilt into it, and keep it even across the whole video, which is something I struggle to do, and admire!

Clive - all of the hornpipes; I get the impression you are a big fan of hornpipes! I enjoy (and have sometimes tried hard to imitate the sound of, in fact) your bass work for your more horn-pipey performances, and that's on show here. A nice selection of tunes, and all of them are lovely.

Thrupenny Bit - The Flying Dutchman; I like the way this tune moves around a lot! And, you accompany it very nicely!

folkbluesnbeyond - Sunshine Hornpipe; a neat tune, with some some pretty complicated bits to get your fingers around, in if my ears don't deceive me, that you played very well (and nice bass run)

smiley - Kath McCaughey's hornpipe; Lovely to watch you play all over your Erika's rows. Clacking rather suits the tune & your tasteful bass work.

folkbluesnbeyond - Martha's Comet; I can always appreciate good pinky work! Another really nice, and nice RHS chording.

Hopefully I didn't miss anyone out, I can assure you it won't have been on purpose.

Fred

• G/C Pariselle, D/G Loffet & maybe too many Hohners
« Reply #69 on: December 01, 2019, 12:36:05 AM »

Just in time!
Tumbler's Hornpipe - https://youtu.be/KArHWl0hap8
Third time through I've tried to do something fancy with the basses, immediate fumble ;D I took it as a sign that I should spare the neighbours from more takes.

Many thanks to Fred of this parish for getting this tune stuck in my brain.

Glad you learned it, such a nice melody.

That ending though. Glorious. :D

Clive Williams

• Administrator
    • Home Page
« Reply #70 on: December 01, 2019, 07:26:58 AM »

Thanks everyone - good month and great to see all the videos! Onto the next month; as ever please put any late contributions on the end here.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal