Discussions > Tunes

Moor Music CD

(1/3) > >>

george garside:
Have just listened to a CD I have had for many years, by Moorr Music ( Mark Bazeley and Jason Rice  ) published by Veteran in 2000.   Exellent and very danceable  Dartmoor  ''english' ceilidh stuff.  All worth a listen but the track I particularly like is the unusual combination of  the ploughboy and the barren rocks of aiden. Don'tt know if its still availabe

george

Alan Pittwood:
Looks like it.

Mark Bazeley (melodeon & concertina) & Jason Rice (accordion) with Rob Murch (banjo)  Gareth Kiddier (piano)  Moor Music  VT139CD

http://www.veteran.co.uk/VT139CD.htm

£9.25+p&p with a link to buy at the foot of that page  Also, hyperlinks to some reviews

Alan Pittwood:
And don't overlook Mark Bazeley with Rob Murch Over the fields of turnips which is track 5 on:

Various Artists  Banquet of Boxes: a celebration of the English Melodeon  Mrs Casey Records MCRCD1102 (2011)

or, the Rice family from Chagford, Devon

Jack Rice (mouthorgan)  Les Rice (Concertina & Mouthorgan)  Jason Rice (piano accordion)  Merrymaking: Mouthorgan, concertina & accordion music from Chagford, Devon   Veteran VT144CD (2014)

Tufty:
One of my all time favorite CDs! I can't understand why so few people play this material. If I start one of these sets at Whitby or Sheffield Sessions Festival I just get blank looks and a silent room!

pbsalt:

--- Quote from: Tufty on November 05, 2019, 04:32:01 PM ---One of my all time favorite CDs! I can't understand why so few people play this material. If I start one of these sets at Whitby or Sheffield Sessions Festival I just get blank looks and a silent room!

--- End quote ---
Agree the music is great - especially for dancing - but I think the problem with them at large sessions like Whitby is that the direct style doesn't lend themselves to accompaniment by lots of other melodeons  ( which usually dominate Whitby sessions)   and other styles are easier to accompany with harmonies and other interesting accompaniments. - so the silent room is probably an appreciation of your playing and perhaps a surprising case of sensitive musicians not wanting to ruin a great tune .
( Perhaps everyone os now busy practising them for next year )
Paul

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version