Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Old ABC files  (Read 1278 times)

Roger Hare

• Urmston, Lancashire, U.K.
Old ABC files
« on: October 26, 2019, 03:49:22 PM »

I'm looking at an old ABC file. It contains a few oddities which I haven't encountered before.

For example:

Lines of music with notes bracketed with '+'

..."C"+c2C2+ CD EGGA|"C"c<d e>d cAGc|...

Strings like "$" (not a chord?).

Any ideas what these mean?

Thank you.

Roger
Odd strings such as "$", which I have also not seen before.
For more about Manchester Morris, The Beech Band Folk Club or anything else,  please use the private messaging facility.
My (large) ABC Tune Book is here.

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
  • MAD is inevitable. Keep Calm and Carry On
    • Lizzie Dripping
Re: Old ABC files
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2019, 05:23:38 PM »

The plus signs with notes in between, e.g. your +c2C2+ is a now deprecated syntax for a chord, as used in abc:standard:v2.0 . Your example would now be rendered as [c2C2].

Not sure about the $ sign, but it says here in abc:standard:v2.2 that it can be used to specify a change of font (type?, size?) within an exisiting text string.
I've never needed to use this...

Hope this is of some use.
Steve
Sheffield, UK.
www.lizziedripping.org.uk

Stiamh

• Old grey C#/D pest
    • Packie Manus Byrne
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2019, 07:44:24 PM »

I'm looking at an old ABC file. It contains a few oddities which I haven't encountered before.

..."C"+c2C2+ CD EGGA|"C"c<d e>d cAGc|...

Any ideas what these mean?

Did you get the old ABC file from thesession.org by any chance? At some point an update there turned [ and ] in a tune I had posted into + and +

So, if that is where you got the tune, it could be that what is meant is [c2C2]

See: https://thesession.org/tunes/3603#comment807162

Sebastian

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2019, 09:48:13 PM »

Not sure about the $ sign
In a discussion on the Session nine years ago it was mentioned that »a draft proposal includes the idea of using a dollar sign for a treble«. However, the link to the proposal is dead now. :-\

Roger Hare

• Urmston, Lancashire, U.K.
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2019, 06:50:17 AM »

The plus signs with notes in between, e.g. your +c2C2+ is a now deprecated syntax for a chord, as used in abc:standard:v2.0 . Your example would now be rendered as [c2C2].

Not sure about the $ sign, but it says here in abc:standard:v2.2 that it can be used to specify a change of font (type?, size?) within an exisiting text string.
I've never needed to use this...
Thanks for that! I can now fix this! I think the file is pretty old - there are a few other oddities in there as well
which (I think) I can safely ignore.

Did you get the old ABC file from thesession.org by any chance? ...
No, it's actually a file from the ABCEdit database, but looking at it, it is clearly a concatenation of other files from
here and there, so I suppose some Sessions tunes may have crept in there...

...it was mentioned that »a draft proposal includes the idea of using a dollar sign for a treble«...
Thanks. I think I can probably ignore them - I hope.

There's a lot of other weird stuff in there - all sorts of unfamiliar strings entered as if they were accompaniment
chords ("...") rather than annotation strings ("^..."), and also, the file is 'fragmented', including code such as:

|..|A2 B2
c2 d2 |...|
1 A2 B
2 c2 d2 :
|2 A2 B2 c2
d2 |
]

which looks fine when put back together, but which is a bit mind-boggling when encountered 'ASIS' (that's just a
made-up example, but it's not an exaggeration).

I'm now working on the assumption that the file is so old that it contains ABC features which are now deprecated,
so i need to keep a sharp eye on this - there are certainly E: fields in there...

Thanks for the help folks.
For more about Manchester Morris, The Beech Band Folk Club or anything else,  please use the private messaging facility.
My (large) ABC Tune Book is here.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal