Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: addiction  (Read 1330 times)

chris hall

• Regular debater
addiction
« on: November 07, 2019, 06:42:25 PM »

hi everyone. my first post! my name is chris hall and i am a melodiholic. will i ever get better? after 30 or 40 years of playing and doing the occasional bit of tweaking and tuning things have got serious! over the last 2 or 3 weeks ive tuned 10 melodeons, rewaxed, revalved, reset reeds, repaired bellows, replaced springs, adjusted action, and more more more. melodeons that were previously perfectly happy to be taken to gigs and abused have been tweaked and given the TLC they deserve. others that were happy to sit on shelves resting have been dragged kicking and screaming to the bench for exploratory assessment that invariably leads to attention. bedtime reading is now mel.net posts. i must have read every post. what a wonderful resource. im a hopeless case. but here's the take home as they say these days. im hearing things that never bothered me before...a lazy valve here, a reed thats slow to start, a reed that carries a weak tone, a chord that could be sweeter, a reed thats a couple of cents out that's brought to life by the slightest tweak.....and whilst it could be argued that i should be playing instead of all this tweaking im finding my ears are enjoying the sweet sounds and im motivated to play more....so in a way its win win innit! just got to resist the temptation to trawl ebay for stray dogs in need of a home! got too many already in various states of disrepair! so fellow addicts......nice to meet you.

malcolmbebb

• In dampest Dorset, on the soggy south coast.
Re: addiction
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2019, 06:46:29 PM »

Welcome Chris. You'll fit right in.
Dino BPII.
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire."

Peadar

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2019, 07:15:29 PM »

I can't help thinking that in some cases "New Starter" is as much of a misnomer as "Respected Sage".
Welcome...like Malcolm says you'll fit right in.
Why should the devil have all the best instruments???

folkloristmark

• street entertainers
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2019, 07:44:12 PM »

welcome; its just those sounds I like. The ones are I usually pick up are not the sorted ones. Dont you just love it when you go for practice and a reed stops and you away in the dental surgery.How come so slow to get here.If its an addiction I have a few here for you should you reach the end of yours.
Mark Taylor
Folkloristmark

rees

• Windjammer
    • Wesson Accordions
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2019, 10:04:28 PM »

Hiya Chris. Welcome to the crazy house - who'd a thought it?
Rees Wesson (accordion builder and mechanic)
Gungrog, Welshpool, Wales, UK
www.melodeons.com

Winston Smith

• AKA Edward Jennings
    • "Our Luxor B&B" Luxor life, slice by slice.
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2019, 10:22:42 PM »

Welcome indeed. If you've read a lot of posts on here, then you'll be getting to know what many of the members are like and whereabouts they are. How about telling us where you hail from, we've already gleaned that you're a MAD as a hatter (like most of the rest of us!) but knowing where you are can prove helpful when you're looking for someone/something/some advice.
By the sounds of it, you'll be able to dish out lots of advice to some of us later starters, as well!
At last, broken and resigned to accept conformity.
Oh, how I LOVE Big Brother!

David Colpitts

• Regular debater
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2019, 11:10:27 PM »

Welcome, Chris.  As an “old early starter” I am sensitive to MAD, and it seems you have it!  For my part, I just sold on two boxes at Northeast Squeeze In, and only brought home one new one.  So, I says, I’m one ahead.  But, of course, I think of those two every day, and am tempted to buy them back from my friends at the ButtonBox, when I look at their videos. Like a reverse rental period... But there’s just not enough room...

Which are your favorite boxes to play?

David

chris hall

• Regular debater
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2019, 11:54:24 PM »

well im from Derby UK. been playing mainly one row cajun boxes for 40 years but also triple rows in the zydeco/blues style. i have a bunch of single rows....about 3 or 4 acadians / a martin/ a master/ about 3 or 4 hohner HA114's an international (branded sterling or monarch is US) a Globe and let me see 2 or 3 gabanelli 3 rows / 3 baffetti 3 row / 3 hohner triple rows......countless ericas....oh dear.....there are others........im currently restoring the Master and the globe...when i say currently i mean today...tomorrow i may be restoring something else but rewaxing the master and retuning so maybe thats enough for tomorrow (got to also practice melodeon and practice my drums)....i play in several bands mostly cajun and zydeco but also blues/country......i been doing lots of little jobs for years but a few months ago i went and lived with Rees Wesson for a week and he shared his knowledge in exchange for biscuits and whiskey.....he's to blame for fostering my addiction! in my days of little tweaks it drove me mad. i hated it. but then i got a bench and a all the tools and a nice lamp and a quiet zone of peacefulness and all of a sudden it stopped being a wind up and became relaxing.....funny that!

chris hall

• Regular debater
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2019, 12:08:14 AM »

and yeh woops...not sure how the reply thing works...my favourite has got to be my Acadian but my Master im working on has a mysterious character that may prove it to be number one. buying back accordions......i can relate to that.....in the early 2000's i was totally broke and sold my first Acadian....but it was the one i played with Paul Mcartney at Abbey Road and at The Cavern and on BBC TV so i couldn't rest until i somehow raised enough cash to buy it back and im proud to say i still have it and will never leave my side again. He had a go on it and couldnt figure it out! haha

David Colpitts

• Regular debater
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2019, 03:05:15 AM »

Wow!  Great to know what a modest habit I have!

David

Nigel

• Respected Sage
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2019, 07:05:18 AM »

'Have I gone MAD? I'm afraid so. You're entirely Bonkers but I will tell you a secret. All the best people are.'

Anahata

• This mind intentionally left blank
  • Oakwood D/G, C/F Club, 1-rows in C,D,G
    • Treewind Music
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2019, 10:19:00 AM »

Chris, welcome to the MADhouse. You're definitely one of us.
I'm a melodeon player. What's your excuse?
Music recording and web hosting: www.treewind.co.uk
Mary Humphreys and Anahata: www.maryanahata.co.uk
Ceilidh band: www.barleycoteband.co.uk

Bob Ellis

• Hero?....Where's my medal, then?
  • Ain't I cute?
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2019, 11:52:40 AM »

Welcome, Chris. I've enjoyed listening to your music for many years and now look forward to reading your contributions on this forum.
Bob in beautiful Wensleydale, Les Panards Dansants, Crook Morris and the Loose Knit Band.
Clément Guais 3-row D/G/acc.; Castagnari 1914 D/G; Karntnerland Steirische 3-row G/C/F; Ellis Pariselle 2.6-row D/G/acc.; Gabbanelli Compact 2-row D/G with lots of bling, pre-war Hohner Bb/F; Acadian one-row in D.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal