Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Club II Bellows Wanted  (Read 407 times)

Pat McInnis

• Regular debater
Club II Bellows Wanted
« on: November 08, 2019, 05:10:30 PM »

I tried this a while back but got no love. Hope it's ok to ask again. Still looking for bellows in pretty much any condition at this point to keep my ClubII from being a wall hanger.

IMG_8963 by Pat McInnis, on Flickr
IMG_8956 by Pat McInnis, on Flickr

Mike-T

• Good talker
  • 1930s Hohner B C C#, D/GAcc Benny, 2.5 Beltuna
Re: Club II Bellows Wanted
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2019, 08:34:32 AM »

Hi Pat, let me know the size of your bellows and I'll check the 3 sets I have here.
Mike.

Pat McInnis

• Regular debater
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2019, 03:46:29 PM »

Hi Pat, let me know the size of your bellows and I'll check the 3 sets I have here.
Mike.

Will do Mike. It might be in a couple of days since I'm just heading out on a wee vacation. I don't actually have anything to compare to but I did include a measuring tape in the one image to show the overall inner length.

Steve_freereeder

• Grumpy old git (sometimes)
  • Content Manager
  • MAD is inevitable. Keep Calm and Carry On
    • Lizzie Dripping
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2019, 08:13:56 PM »

Mike.

Will do Mike. It might be in a couple of days since I'm just heading out on a wee vacation. I don't actually have anything to compare to but I did include a measuring tape in the one image to show the overall inner length.

When quoting bellows dimensions, you need to specify (a) the internal width and length, measured from the internal crests of the folds; (b) the external width and length, similarly measured across the external crests of the folds. It's possibly easier to quote units of measurements in centimetres/millimetres, since most makers are European and the bellows tend to be originally made to metric dimensions, rather than imperial measurements with awkward fractions of an inch.

Also - if you were ordering from a bellows maker, you would additionally need to specify the number of folds and the style/radius of the metal corner pieces (usually an option on the makers' web pages). This is probably not relevant here if Mike is checking his spare bellows for you.
Steve
Sheffield, UK.
www.lizziedripping.org.uk

Pat McInnis

• Regular debater
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2019, 11:00:04 PM »

When quoting bellows dimensions, you need to specify (a) the internal width and length, measured from the internal crests of the folds; (b) the external width and length, similarly measured across the external crests of the folds. It's possibly easier to quote units of measurements in centimetres/millimetres, since most makers are European and the bellows tend to be originally made to metric dimensions, rather than imperial measurements with awkward fractions of an inch.

Also - if you were ordering from a bellows maker, you would additionally need to specify the number of folds and the style/radius of the metal corner pieces (usually an option on the makers' web pages). This is probably not relevant here if Mike is checking his spare bellows for you.
[/quote]

Good points Steve, I made sure I used a tape in the photo that notates Imperial and Metric so that no one gets left out. It is unfortunate that I have never owned bellows that fit this box. I bought it as-is for a project, hoping that I would turn up a bellows.

Mike, the inside dimensions of my cases are 138mm X 278mm. So that would be the maximum outside dimensions of your bellows frame. Fingers crossed.

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
    • Lizzie Dripping
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2019, 11:55:36 PM »

Good points Steve, I made sure I used a tape in the photo that notates Imperial and Metric so that no one gets left out. It is unfortunate that I have never owned bellows that fit this box. I bought it as-is for a project, hoping that I would turn up a bellows.

Mike, the inside dimensions of my cases are 138mm X 278mm. So that would be the maximum outside dimensions of your bellows frame. Fingers crossed.

You do need to be careful with the internal bellows folds measurement. If any replacement bellows do not have a sufficiently large internal gap between the fold crests from side to side and end to end, there might be problems with the bellows folds hitting the reed blocks when fully closed, or, even if not impacting directly on the reed blocks, the reed valves and reed tongues could come into contact with the bellows folds during playing.
Steve
Sheffield, UK.

Pete Dunk

• Typo Expert
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2019, 08:39:36 AM »

I have a Club Modell II currently on loan to one of the morris side, it will be returned at the weekend and I will take measurements of the bellows. To be clear mine is a Club Modell II with a wooden casing, and it appears to be exactly the same as an Erika. I'm not sure if this is the same casing dimensions as the celluloid covered Club II?
Squeezing on the Isle of Oxney, UK
Primo D/G, Albrecht Custom Liliput D/G
Hohner B/E, B/C, C/F, Bb/Eb G/C/F
Liliputs D/G G scale, C/F, Bb/Eb

Fred

• Respected Sage
  • Loffet Graet e Breizh D/G and various Hohners
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2019, 03:31:53 PM »

I have a Club Modell II currently on loan to one of the morris side, it will be returned at the weekend and I will take measurements of the bellows. To be clear mine is a Club Modell II with a wooden casing, and it appears to be exactly the same as an Erika. I'm not sure if this is the same casing dimensions as the celluloid covered Club II?

While Steve (or others) will definitely be here to correct me on this, I can say that I've succesfully exchanged Erika and Club II bellows in the past. In my experience they're the same.

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
    • Lizzie Dripping
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2019, 03:47:26 PM »

While Steve (or others) will definitely be here to correct me on this, I can say that I've succesfully exchanged Erika and Club II bellows in the past. In my experience they're the same.
I'm not about to correct or dispute. I'm sure your experience is correct. I'm simply urging caution; sometimes there is very little clearance around the reeds/reed blocks and a couple of millimetres difference either in the bellows dimensions or the reed blocks placement could potentially cause problems.
Steve
Sheffield, UK.

Pat McInnis

• Regular debater
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2019, 04:12:27 PM »

That would be very much appreciated. It would probably be good for other ClubII owners to know that they can get something that has a higher production as well. My assumption was that it is a one off size. Shows what I know.

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.