Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: The MAD Index  (Read 10423 times)

boxcall

• You got to love it!!!
  • Accordion to who?
Re: The MAD Index
« Reply #40 on: November 12, 2019, 11:48:58 PM »

What about those ( mad-ones ) who try to build or actually build a melodeon, its a project box but not quite.
Surely an extra amount of madness required!! Add in those working / repairing them too!
A lot of work for not much do re mi , nuts! ;D

And then the teachers should get a badge! And a stiff drink:)
When I look back at what I knew when I started, oh my !! ( still clueless with a bit more knowledge)

I got most of the melodeons I have, for playing music or for learning to play music.
But there are a few that just fell into my possession  ;)

Hohner 1040 C, Beltuna one row four stop D, O'Byrne Dewitt/ Baldoni bros. D/C#, Paolo soprani "pepperpot" one row D

Peadar

« Reply #41 on: November 13, 2019, 12:19:09 AM »

MAD = Melodeon Aquisition Disorder.
You have it when you find yourself almost, if not quite, impulse buying melodeons in quantities way beyond those which are good you.
Building your own melodeon is not a sign of MAD.
Why should the devil have all the best instruments???

Squeaky Pete

• Squeaky Pete
  • Re-hohn a Hohner
« Reply #42 on: November 13, 2019, 12:26:28 AM »

I have one, maybe two boxes that will stay with me. All the rest are lodgers and will make their own way in the world when they are good and ready.
I might acquire more tunes, though that is a tad different.
Poker work DG.
Pariselle 2.6 DG, Ex-Club IIIBS CF,
Matching Liliputs in CF and DG,
Lots of sickly Hohners needing TLC,
Bassoon, Various Bagpipes........

boxcall

• You got to love it!!!
  • Accordion to who?
« Reply #43 on: November 13, 2019, 01:09:06 AM »

MAD = Melodeon Aquisition Disorder.
You have it when you find yourself almost, if not quite, impulse buying melodeons in quantities way beyond those which are good you.
Building your own melodeon is not a sign of MAD.

Ok , I have two that where just giving to me not bought that are not much good to me. That probably counts a bit.
I did have to buy parts to make them whole again and I do have to buy ( acquire) melodeon parts to make one.
Hohner 1040 C, Beltuna one row four stop D, O'Byrne Dewitt/ Baldoni bros. D/C#, Paolo soprani "pepperpot" one row D

smiley

• Folk music: it's not as bad as it sounds
    • a few sound clips
« Reply #44 on: November 13, 2019, 05:05:51 AM »

My MAD Index score of 0.083 probably indicates a different pathological obsession.
I've identified about 1,200 tunes that I can play reasonably well from memory on melodeon, and that must be clogging up a significant part of my ageing brain.

Peadar

« Reply #45 on: November 24, 2019, 07:43:41 PM »

It took my a while to count the boxes (including unplayables that aren't actually Works in Progress).

My MAD Index is 14.32 .....  but at least the ironing board is a melodeon free zone.

Helena Handcart

• Nine-box Nellie
« Reply #46 on: December 08, 2019, 09:03:20 AM »

Given that the number of tunes know is difficult to define being a variable that varies too much I have come up with my own simpler calculation - and a way of reducing my box score at the same time. Given that in this house we both play melodeon but I am the one with the collecting habit I have decided to add up the total number of boxes in the house and divide by the number of players.

It is reassuring to know that I actually own so few boxes, so few in fact that I don't even qualify for the soubriquet 'Nine Box Nellie' any more.
Sideways typing on the wooden handbag (now with added electric typewriter).

Green Man Sword | Helena Handcart on Soundcloud| Squeezebox from Scratch |

Chris Rayner

• Respected Sage
« Reply #47 on: December 08, 2019, 01:41:52 PM »

It is reassuring to know that I actually own so few boxes, so few in fact that I don't even qualify for the soubriquet 'Nine Box Nellie' any more.

Are you including other free reed squeezy things in this arithmetic?
Elderly amateur musician hoping to stave off dementia by learning to play the melodeon.  Main instrument a Tommy, also D/G and G/C pokerworks,  a single row 2 stop Hohner, and a new addition to the free reedery, a rather splendid Paolo Soprani four voice 120 bass c-system chromatic button accordion.  Very shiny, very loud, and about the same size and weight as a small car.  Now I’ve traded me Benny with (ahem) a cash adjustment, to a three voice 60 bass Castagnari K3.

Peadar

« Reply #48 on: December 08, 2019, 10:38:56 PM »

Given that the number of tunes know is difficult to define being a variable that varies too much I have come up with my own simpler calculation - and a way of reducing my box score at the same time. Given that in this house we both play melodeon but I am the one with the collecting habit I have decided to add up the total number of boxes in the house and divide by the number of players.

If you estimate that you can play aprox 80 tunes then 9 boxes is (just) normal. In much the way some of the old 1 rows are (just) tuned in just temperament.

(9)2/(80+1)= 1.0

How does "Nine Box Normal" appeal as a handle?

Nick Collis Bird

• Been squeezing melodeons for over 48 years (badly)
« Reply #49 on: December 12, 2019, 08:27:54 AM »

Being innumerate .......wot?  :o
Has anyone heard of the song. “ Broken Alarm-clock Blues” ? It starts   “I woke up this Afternoon”

Rog

• Repair and tuning in Hants
« Reply #50 on: December 13, 2019, 08:24:25 PM »

81 divided by 81 is 1..

Corinto

• Regular debater
  • Spain/Brasil/Belgium
« Reply #51 on: August 23, 2020, 03:49:20 PM »

Update

(6-1)2/(36+1) = 25/37 = 0,68 = still healthy (was 0,64 november 2019)
Carpe diem, C.

John MacKenzie (Cugiok)

• Fettling... Learning to reed and right.
« Reply #52 on: May 30, 2021, 07:26:02 PM »

11 working, 3 not working, one flutina (iffy), and 2 anglos, both needing work.

SJ
There is no beginning to my talent :)

: Hohner Club Modell 1. Bb/Eb, de-clubbed : Early Hohner Pressed Wood A/D : 1930's Varnished wood G/C:  Hohner Erika C/F: Bandoneon tuned D/G Pressed wood: Koch F/Bb; G/C Pre Corso

Chris Marriott

« Reply #53 on: May 30, 2021, 07:36:56 PM »

Badly lagging behind in the MAD department. A mere three melodeons, two concertinas, and a piano accordion 🙂.

... and a large but indeterminate number of harmonicas.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2021, 07:42:35 PM by Chris Marriott »
Chris

Castagnari Marie-Nicole, English Concertina and Piano Accordion.

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
« Reply #54 on: May 30, 2021, 07:51:39 PM »

...and a piano accordion 🙂...

aka a box of spare reeds.
Greg Smith
DG/GC Pokerwork, DG 2.4 Saltarelle, pre-war CF Hohner, Hohner 1040 Vienna style, old  BbEb Hohner that needs a lot of work.

ACCORDION, n. An instrument in harmony with the sentiments of an assassin. Ambrose Bierce

Accordion Dave

• Respected Sage
« Reply #55 on: May 30, 2021, 08:30:19 PM »

Some people seem to have too much spare time to postulate mathematical equations related to how many melodeon/accordions one owns. Maybe you need to be squeezing more often.

Every one of my boxes came to me in a memorable way. They each have a unique sound or personality. They are scattered around the house. When I am in the mood to squeeze out a tune, one is always within reach.

Some of my melodeon/accordions have been passed along to others who have great appreciation for a particular squeezebox. These are people who love the sound of a particular box and are not likely to flip it on eBay a day later.

I also have the "basket cases" which are useful for spare parts.

Chris Ryall

• "doc 3-row"
  • French Interpreter
  • Wirral UK
    • Chris Ryall
« Reply #56 on: May 31, 2021, 12:00:08 PM »

Index about 22/100. I am down to just 2 boxes. My Lilly has been with …  other people for 8 years.

It was five + 2 +concertinas at one point, 1990s. I then tended to sell & replace for a decade or so, while evolving a “melodeons should be played” philosophy, and a “one box per festival” policy.

My Damascene progress was aided by ex wife running of with a gypsy, and also our bagpipes, trombone, gurdy etcetera. My progress to 3-row designer kit aided by a driver who put me in ITU for a week, but was insured 👍 and plea bargained “dangerous” when offered “reckless” by the cops”

I’d criticise the index maths, in squaring the n of melodeons it super inflates the index for those of us still in melodeon horticultural stage, which I regard as healthy.

Basically the kit just … circulates? Much of it is second hand, and my hobby didn’t really cost until I had that chat with Gaillard. Most boxes … went for a bit more than I’d paid (in a time of inflation).

I would appeal to folk with 2-3 rarely played melodeons to find these “good new homes” 🤔
  _       _    _      _ 

John MacKenzie (Cugiok)

• Fettling... Learning to reed and right.
« Reply #57 on: May 31, 2021, 03:48:41 PM »

Well, you say that Chris, but I disagree. I have 2 boxes that I play regularly, a D/G  bandoneon tuned pressed wood, and a G/C with a varnished wooden case, and a gold Greek Key pattern, the model name/number of which, I don't know. The others mostly sit on the shelf, but dang me, they look real purty ! Sometimes I looks at them, and rubs me 'ands, and calls them "My Precious", but I assure you that's quite normal.

Sir ( Uriah Heep )  John
There is no beginning to my talent :)

: Hohner Club Modell 1. Bb/Eb, de-clubbed : Early Hohner Pressed Wood A/D : 1930's Varnished wood G/C:  Hohner Erika C/F: Bandoneon tuned D/G Pressed wood: Koch F/Bb; G/C Pre Corso

Squeaky Pete

• Squeaky Pete
  • Re-hohn a Hohner
« Reply #58 on: May 31, 2021, 04:38:39 PM »

I'm quite happy buying any box I like the look of (under £100) and sorting it out to play nicely. New valves, wax etc and tuning.
If I take to it I'll keep it for the moment otherwise I sell it and someone gets a nice box and that frees up some money for the next project.
Having said that, I notice I've got 7 or 8 Liliput/Preciosa boxes in various states from derelict to gorgeous. There may be a glut on the market soon.
Poker work DG.
Pariselle 2.6 DG, Ex-Club IIIBS CF,
Matching Liliputs in CF and DG,
Lots of sickly Hohners needing TLC,
Bassoon, Various Bagpipes........

Stockaryd

• Regular debater
« Reply #59 on: May 31, 2021, 05:16:16 PM »

Nov 2019  my score was 12.8  and I felt normal,

now I am up to 22.5  . . . . . . .  and I feel cured.   (:)    Totally  cured!
Hohner Corso, Hohner Erica, Emmanuel Pariselle, Gessner,   Koch,   Mariotti,    "China  NoName",   4 Toy,     -and now some more
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal