Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: D/G/C layout  (Read 1149 times)

Debbie

D/G/C layout
« on: November 10, 2019, 10:04:57 PM »

Hello, I'm a new member (thanks for making me official Theo) and hoping to get some thoughts on the attached layout.  I found a D/G/C melodeon advertised recently which peeked my interest, as I didn't know this tuning was available. I have since contacted a maker who sent me their layout for D/G/C, with scope to make some modifications of my own if necessary. The flexibility to play in sessions where DG is standard but also play French repertoire in an appropriate key really appeals to me. I'd be interested to know what people think. Thanks.
The right hand doesn't know what the left hand is doing.

Eshed

• Respected Sage
Re: D/G/C layout
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2019, 10:18:24 PM »

Welcome!
I have never played a 3-row, so take my advice with a grain of salt.

The problem with DGC is that the G in DG is an octave lower than the G in GC.
So either you get a really low D or a really high C.
Therefore if I had to build such an instrument, I'd go for a 4th or even 5th button start with a high C row. This way you have the high part of a G/C and the low part of a D/G spliced together, giving you the best of both worlds (more or less).
Do you have a Hohner from 1934-1945 with a serial number on?
Send me a private message or comment on the German Accordion Problem spreadsheet to improve the statistics of the project and get an estimate of the production date of the box if it is not known.

Rob Lands

• Regular debater
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2019, 10:26:54 PM »

There was a topic a few years ago comparing two three row melodeons http://forum.melodeon.net/index.php?topic=13423.0. You may find information there.

Debbie

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2019, 12:22:30 PM »

The problem with DGC is that the G in DG is an octave lower than the G in GC.
So either you get a really low D or a really high C.
Therefore if I had to build such an instrument, I'd go for a 4th or even 5th button start with a high C row. This way you have the high part of a G/C and the low part of a D/G spliced together, giving you the best of both worlds (more or less).

Thanks for your replies. I've seen the problem with octaves mentioned here before but I'm struggling to get my head around what that actually means in practice.

Looking at the PDF layout the note names have ', ", "' after them which I assume denotes their register. They all looked pretty compatible to me or am I missing the blindingly obvious? As ever, happy to be enlightened by you knowledgeable lot.
The right hand doesn't know what the left hand is doing.

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
    • Lester's Melodeon Emporium and Tune-a-Rama
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2019, 12:32:41 PM »

If you look at these layouts which show where the notes being played on a stave it should help you understand the different octaves of G being to referred to above.
http://forum.melodeon.net/files/site/DGwithStave.pdf
http://forum.melodeon.net/files/site/keyboards/GC_with_accidentals_showing_notes_on_stave.pdf

Rob Lands

• Regular debater
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2019, 04:13:18 PM »

I asumed the ' '' was what you did.  For me the percived pitch will depend on whether you are looking a two reed or a three reed instrument and whether the reeds are L or M.  If you have a L reed in the combination it will sound lower.  I have a GC with LM reed combination with a lovely low tone but if you have D on the out the inner C MM might seem very high.  However as I have never played one....

-Y-

• Handry 18 (G/C), Mélodie (D), Club IIb (A/D)
    • a database of 400 or more melodeons here
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2019, 09:09:40 PM »

I've come across this subject of pitch in these forums, but I don't see how it's relevant for playing French (or any other music).
I'm French, playing French music, on a G/C, and I use the low voice as often (if not more) than the medium voices.
Seeing that they are transposing instruments, and that at least for French music, the absolute pitch is somewhat irrelevant, I don't really see the issue.

For your accordion, as already pointed out, if it's a G/C base, you'll be one octave lower than the usual D/G, and if it's a D/G base, you'll be one octave higher than the usual G/C. IMO a D/G/# would be more versatile than a D/G/C, but it's a matter of personal taste, fourth-apart 3 rows is also a good layout.

Rog

• Repair and tuning in Hants
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2019, 08:28:35 AM »

If the C row is lower than the G row, you'd get a layout similar to that found on a CG concertina, though to fully get that you'd need G, (lower) C, then accidentals.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal