Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: The Tipp Staff  (Read 3416 times)

Pete Dunk

• Typo Expert
The Tipp Staff
« on: November 15, 2019, 03:59:36 PM »

Here's a tune that has haunted and frustrated me for years, now I find that the hardest part of this tune to play on an English concertina is straightforward, almost simple, on an Anahata (G scale) tuned D/G box. The tune in general is taxing whatever you play it in on and you'll need G# and Fnat accidentals to play it as written but no doubt there are ways to fudge those. Played at full tilt it really rattles along but it sounds pretty good at any speed and is quirky enough to stand out from the crowd. A PDF is attached.

X:15
T:Tipp Staff, The
C:William Vickers manuscript 1776
M:4/4
L:1/8
Z:Pete Dunk March 2008
K:G
d/c/|BGgG G,G GA/2B/2|cAaA A,A AB/2c/2|dBBd ecce|dccB BAAc|
BGgG G,G GA/2B/2|cAaA A,A AB/2c/2|Bdge fgag|fde^c d3 D:|
|:d=ffe eddc| BAA^G AA,A,B|ceed dccB|gdcB B3 A|
G,GGB A,AAc|B,BBd Ccce|deef gdcB|AGAB G3:|
« Last Edit: November 15, 2019, 08:45:35 PM by Pete Dunk »
Squeezing on the Isle of Oxney, UK
Primo (Serenellini) D/G
Isis D/G
Hohner B/E, G/C, C/F, Bb/Eb G/C/F
Liliputs D/G (G scale), C/F, Bb/Eb, Albrecht Custom D/G (G scale)

Thrupenny Bit

• happily squeezing away in Devon
Re: The Tipp Staff
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2019, 05:24:10 PM »

Interesting tune Pete, and one I've not heard before.
Wondering if you'd split it into 2 lots of 8 bars, making an A and B music, or play as writ?
Q
Thrupenny Bit

I think I'm starting to get most of the notes in roughly the right order...... sometimes!

Pete Dunk

• Typo Expert
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2019, 05:37:18 PM »

It's played straight through from top to bottom but there's no problem with seeing it as a two part tune, the second eight bars are very different from the first eight.
Primo (Serenellini) D/G
Isis D/G

Pete Dunk

• Typo Expert
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2019, 05:52:59 PM »

Alistair Anderson repeats both parts but no repeat is shown in The Great Northern Tunebook which is a transcription of the Vickers' manuscript by Matt Seattle.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2019, 07:26:50 PM by Pete Dunk »
Primo (Serenellini) D/G
Isis D/G

Thrupenny Bit

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2019, 05:54:46 PM »

Oh ok, thanks Pete.
It is interesting ..... hmm maybe!
Q
Thrupenny Bit

I think I'm starting to get most of the notes in roughly the right order...... sometimes!

John MacKenzie (Cugiok)

• Fettling... Learning to reed and right.
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2019, 06:51:28 PM »

As an aside, I assume that's the way the title is rendered in the music manuscript. However modern usage has it as Tipstaff, which refers to an officer in a court of law. I sort of assume that's what the tune title refers to, in spite of the different spelling.

SJ

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tipstaff
There is no beginning to my talent :)

: Hohner Club Modell 1. Bb/Eb, de-clubbed : Early Hohner Pressed Wood A/D : 1930's Varnished wood G/C:  Hohner Erika C/F: Bandoneon tuned D/G Pressed wood: Koch F/Bb; G/C Pre Corso

Pete Dunk

• Typo Expert
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2019, 07:26:15 PM »

Yes it is written as Tipp Staff in Vickers' but Ali Anderson calls it The Tipstaff on his recordings
Primo (Serenellini) D/G
Isis D/G

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2019, 08:07:52 PM »

Yes it is written as Tipp Staff in Vickers' but Ali Anderson calls it The Tipstaff on his recordings

I think "tipp staff" may be an earlier spelling (plural "tippe staves"). An interim version between "The office of the Tippe staff is thought to have been created in the 14th century. One of the earliest records of the Tipstaff was mentioned in 1570: "The Knight Marshall with all hys tippe staues". It is a position of both law enforcement and ceremonial duties" and the modern version, maybe.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2019, 09:49:46 PM by Tone Dumb Greg »
Greg Smith
DG/GC Pokerwork, DG 2.4 Saltarelle, pre-war CF Hohner, Hohner 1040 Vienna style, old  BbEb Hohner that needs a lot of work.

ACCORDION, n. An instrument in harmony with the sentiments of an assassin. Ambrose Bierce

Pete Dunk

• Typo Expert
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2019, 08:14:11 PM »

Vickers' manuscript is from 1776 so it probably falls into the 'ye olde world' category as regards spellings.
Primo (Serenellini) D/G
Isis D/G

Pete Dunk

• Typo Expert
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2019, 08:29:15 PM »

Here is a scan of the manuscript page. It's the second tune halfway down
« Last Edit: November 16, 2019, 12:08:18 AM by Pete Dunk »
Primo (Serenellini) D/G
Isis D/G

Pete Dunk

• Typo Expert
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2019, 08:52:11 PM »

Looking at the manuscript page (I've not looked it up before), there is a clearly marked double repeat mark in the middle of the tune but nothing at the begining or end. Given the age of the piece it was probably common practice to write music like this and I now think it should be played AABB as previously suggested.
Primo (Serenellini) D/G
Isis D/G

Mike Hirst

• Primatona IV D/D#, Black Dot B/C, One Row in D
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2019, 11:48:03 PM »

"Slip like Freudian, your first and last step to playing yourself like an Accordion" - MF DOOM - Madvillain

Pete Dunk

• Typo Expert
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2019, 12:15:43 AM »

Thanks Mike, I don't know what happened there because I checked the link when I posted it and also followed it back to the page a little later to check out the repeat sign, now it's broken! I've updated the link above using your link so it now works again.  ???
Primo (Serenellini) D/G
Isis D/G

Roger Hare

• Urmston, Lancashire, U.K.
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2019, 06:34:31 AM »

...Not sure about that link. I would suggest http://www.farnearchive.com/farneimages/jpgs/R0300700.jpg as a better option...
Yes, that works. It also leads the incurably curious to backtrack to the Farne Archive list of resources
which includes a lot of MSS: http://www.farnearchive.com/browse_by_collection.asp which looks as if
it might be worth poking about in. In C18th I can see  one which has been transcribed, and a couple
which haven't, but I haven't checked the whole list which is pretty long...

The 'home' page http://www.folknortheast.com/ appears to be 'empty' which is pretty irritating...
« Last Edit: November 16, 2019, 06:48:49 AM by Roger Hare »
For more about Manchester Morris, The Beech Band Folk Club or anything else,  please use the private messaging facility.
My (large) ABC Tune Book is here.

ChrisP

• Respected Sage
  • West Yorkshire, UK
    • Chris Partington
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2019, 09:58:41 AM »

...Not sure about that link. I would suggest http://www.farnearchive.com/farneimages/jpgs/R0300700.jpg as a better option...
Yes, that works. It also leads the incurably curious to backtrack to the Farne Archive list of resources
which includes a lot of MSS: http://www.farnearchive.com/browse_by_collection.asp which looks as if
it might be worth poking about in. In C18th I can see  one which has been transcribed, and a couple
which haven't, but I haven't checked the whole list which is pretty long...

The 'home' page http://www.folknortheast.com/ appears to be 'empty' which is pretty irritating...
Indeed. We at VMP have poked around in there somewhat,transcribing what seemed like a good selection at the time. There may be some unchewed bits, but I'm busy at the moment, and there are other areas less well represented on our books. http://www.cpartington.plus.com/Links/ChrisPartingtonsLinksPage.html

Broadland Boy

• Awful noises from Pokerwork, HA114G, BbEb Liliputs
« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2019, 02:26:06 PM »

Just in case of East Anglian roots, Tip Staff or Tip Cat was a childrens game hereabouts until WW2 ish, played with a stick whittled to a pencil like point at each end that was struck with another stick which would send it flying end over end, not sure what if any scoring there might have been, more likely that like bowling hoops or tops, it was something to do while in transit by Shanks pony !
Richard A
Venit ventus contrarius ventus egrediente,
Omnes prope quid ventum est circa

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2019, 08:22:20 PM »

Just in case of East Anglian roots, Tip Staff or Tip Cat was a childrens game hereabouts until WW2 ish, played with a stick whittled to a pencil like point at each end that was struck with another stick which would send it flying end over end, not sure what if any scoring there might have been, more likely that like bowling hoops or tops, it was something to do while in transit by Shanks pony !

We used to play something related but I can't, for the life of it, remeber what we called it.
There was a wooden peg, with a wedge on each end, sat on a stump. You had to wack with a stick so it flew into the air and then give it an almighty thwack as it came down, sending it as far as you could. The winner was the one that went furthest. A bit like knurr and spell, but you had to make the spelling happen before the knurr. I won't sleep until I know what it's called.
Greg Smith
DG/GC Pokerwork, DG 2.4 Saltarelle, pre-war CF Hohner, Hohner 1040 Vienna style, old  BbEb Hohner that needs a lot of work.

ACCORDION, n. An instrument in harmony with the sentiments of an assassin. Ambrose Bierce

Broadland Boy

• Awful noises from Pokerwork, HA114G, BbEb Liliputs
« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2019, 11:01:33 AM »

Other than the stump launch pad this sounds the same Greg, I had neglected to add the swipe if possible - doesn't help musically but an alternative source for the name, who in Norwich were and still are known as Whifflers, which opens a new page for tune naming, I love to go a Whiffling, Whiffling Rufus, Whiffle while you Squeeze, sorry approaching thread drift...
Richard A
Venit ventus contrarius ventus egrediente,
Omnes prope quid ventum est circa

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2019, 12:18:55 PM »

Other than the stump launch pad this sounds the same Greg, I had neglected to add the swipe if possible - doesn't help musically but an alternative source for the name, who in Norwich were and still are known as Whifflers, which opens a new page for tune naming, I love to go a Whiffling, Whiffling Rufus, Whiffle while you Squeeze, sorry approaching thread drift...

Finally remembered. We called it Peggy, or Peggoty.
Play your tune on a Peggy Whiffle?
Greg Smith

Thrupenny Bit

« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2019, 12:52:44 PM »

Growing up in rural Devon..... I have never heard of this game!
What a wonderful and varied country we live in.
Long live regions and the varied tapestry they give us....
Q
Thrupenny Bit

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal