Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Tramp, tramp, tramp / God Save Ireland  (Read 1788 times)

Peadar

Tramp, tramp, tramp / God Save Ireland
« on: November 17, 2019, 08:55:07 PM »

Has any body got abc or dots for this tune?

I think Tramp tramp tramp was one of the Union army songs of the American Civil War ....soon after used for the song "God save Ireland"....which [[[ cough, political comment of all flavours is inappropriate on this forum -- admin ]]] and  then used in 1910 as the tune for "The Land Monopoly must clear" a Liberal Party election song.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2019, 09:55:27 AM by Clive Williams »

John MacKenzie (Cugiok)

• Fettling... Learning to reed and right.
Re: Tramp, tramp, tramp / God Save Ireland
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2019, 09:27:50 PM »

There is no beginning to my talent :)

: Hohner Club Modell 1. Bb/Eb, de-clubbed : Early Hohner Pressed Wood A/D : 1930's Varnished wood G/C:  Hohner Erika C/F: Bandoneon tuned D/G Pressed wood: Koch F/Bb; G/C Pre Corso

boxcall

• You got to love it!!!
  • Accordion to who?
Hohner 1040 C, Beltuna one row four stop D, O'Byrne Dewitt/ Baldoni bros. D/C#, Paolo soprani "pepperpot" one row D

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2019, 10:47:46 PM »

They look pretty identical to me, except that John's version contains two parts [and more swing]. They both look right, as well.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2019, 10:53:38 PM by Tone Dumb Greg »
Greg Smith
DG/GC Pokerwork, DG 2.4 Saltarelle, pre-war CF Hohner, Hohner 1040 Vienna style, old  BbEb Hohner that needs a lot of work.

ACCORDION, n. An instrument in harmony with the sentiments of an assassin. Ambrose Bierce

boxcall

• You got to love it!!!
  • Accordion to who?
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2019, 11:20:52 PM »

I believe the link I put up has 2 parts, no? I put it up for the ABC part mostly for the link S.J. posted didn’t show one.
Hohner 1040 C, Beltuna one row four stop D, O'Byrne Dewitt/ Baldoni bros. D/C#, Paolo soprani "pepperpot" one row D

Peadar

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2019, 11:42:39 PM »

Gents,
Thanks- It will be tomorrow night before I can try  this/these. Will let you know how I get on. Times lie this I wish I had begged my father's Irish music books but I think they went along with  his classical music to my late brother.
Peadar

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
  • MAD is inevitable. Keep Calm and Carry On
    • Lizzie Dripping
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2019, 11:56:27 PM »

I believe the link I put up has 2 parts, no? I put it up for the ABC part mostly for the link S.J. posted didn’t show one.
They look pretty identical to me, except that John's version contains two parts [and more swing]. They both look right, as well.

There is possibly some confusion here over the word 'parts'.

Boxcall's link contains an A-music and a B-music and is a single melody line.

John's version has the same melody with A-music and B-music, although in a more economical notation with repeat and dal segno markings. However, it also contains a separate harmony part labelled '2nd fife'. The two parts (top two lines and bottom two lines) are meant to be played simultaneously.
Steve
Sheffield, UK.
www.lizziedripping.org.uk

Roger Hare

• Urmston, Lancashire, U.K.
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2019, 06:15:47 AM »

Has any body got abc or dots for this tune?

I think Tramp tramp tramp was one of the Union army songs of the American Civil War ....soon after used for the song "God save Ireland"....which [[[ cough ]]] and  then used in 1910 as the tune for "The Land Monopoly must clear" a Liberal Party election song.

Is this it (albeit, re-titled)?
Code: [Select]
X:223
%A lightly edited tune from 'Old and not so old Bush songs' http://www.davidjohnson.id.au/music/obs/abcindex.htm
T:Wallaby Brigade, The
C:from the Queenslander (1894) with a tune based on GF Root's Tramp Tramp Tramp! (1864)
M:4/4
L:1/8
K:Gmaj
P:(Verse)
D>C | "G" B,>D G>A G2 G>F | "C" E>F G>E "D7" D2- D>C | "G" B,>D G>A B>A G>B | "D7" A6 D>C |
"G" B,>D G>A G2 G>F | "C" E>F G>E "D7" D2 B>A | "G" G2 G>E "D7" F>G A>F | "G" G6 z2 |
P:(Chorus)
"G" B2 B2 B>A G>E | "D7" D4 "G" G2-G>G | "D7" A2 A>A "G" B>A G>B | "D7" A6 D>C |
"G" B,>D G>A G2 G>F | "C" E>F G>E "D7" D2 B>A | "G" G2 G>E "D7" F>G A>F | "G" G6 |

The tune 'Tramp, Tramp, Tramp' (a.k.a. 'The Prisoner's Hope') is included in Gary Coover's Civil War Concertina (p. 95).
No PDF as I don't have a scanner...
« Last Edit: November 18, 2019, 09:56:02 AM by Clive Williams »
For more about Manchester Morris, The Beech Band Folk Club or anything else,  please use the private messaging facility.
My (large) ABC Tune Book is here.

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2019, 08:41:20 AM »

John's version has the same melody with A-music and B-music, although in a more economical notation with repeat and dal segno markings. However, it also contains a separate harmony part labelled '2nd fife'. The two parts (top two lines and bottom two lines) are meant to be played simultaneously.

Erm, yes. I was using the word part in terms of a melody part and a harmony part. Sorry if there was any confusion.

Apologies to Boxcall. I didn't know you couldn't access the abc from Tunesearch. It came up before the melody when I opened the link. Seems that glimpse is all you get to see of it.
Greg Smith
DG/GC Pokerwork, DG 2.4 Saltarelle, pre-war CF Hohner, Hohner 1040 Vienna style, old  BbEb Hohner that needs a lot of work.

ACCORDION, n. An instrument in harmony with the sentiments of an assassin. Ambrose Bierce

boxcall

• You got to love it!!!
  • Accordion to who?
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2019, 10:30:53 PM »

Erm, yes. I was using the word part in terms of a melody part and a harmony part. Sorry if there was any confusion.

Apologies to Boxcall. I didn't know you couldn't access the abc from Tunesearch. It came up before the melody when I opened the link. Seems that glimpse is all you get to see of it.
Thanks Greg ,but none needed  (:)   I cannot see anything but dots.
My link was a single melody line,yes, usually played AABB or any way you choose.
I don’t play it exactly as shown in the one I posted, it just an example.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal