Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Buying Advice  (Read 6251 times)

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
Re: Buying Advice
« Reply #40 on: November 21, 2019, 05:39:34 PM »

Wot George says.
Use your thumb. Strange at first, but you soon get used to it.
Greg Smith
DG/GC Pokerwork, DG 2.4 Saltarelle, pre-war CF Hohner, Hohner 1040 Vienna style, old  BbEb Hohner that needs a lot of work.

ACCORDION, n. An instrument in harmony with the sentiments of an assassin. Ambrose Bierce

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
« Reply #41 on: November 21, 2019, 05:40:36 PM »

You then need to jump between the treble button up to the accidental.

That's what you get with a DG, isn't it? So glad I wasn't lured into the DG trap. Best thing I never did.

How the other half lives  ;D
Greg Smith
DG/GC Pokerwork, DG 2.4 Saltarelle, pre-war CF Hohner, Hohner 1040 Vienna style, old  BbEb Hohner that needs a lot of work.

ACCORDION, n. An instrument in harmony with the sentiments of an assassin. Ambrose Bierce

The Oul' Boy

• Respected Sage
« Reply #42 on: November 21, 2019, 05:50:04 PM »

I always use my thumb for the chin end accidentals for the simple reason that the thumb joint articulates sideways much better than finger joints.   It takes a bit of getting used to initialy but is well worth the effort as it leaves 4 fingers to get on with playing the tune and/ or adding right hand chords whilst also playing the melody.

However to make full use of the thumb it is absolutely essential that the box is firmly attached to the player so the thumb is not in any way responsible for steadying or locating; the keyboard relative to the person.   Which is why I always use  2  reasonably  wide padded straps on all my boxes.

How does this work for those of us who don't put our thumbs on the edge of the treble board (something I've tried a lot and just can't get used to), but behind it (in a version of the morris grip)?
Warren M (Edinburgh, formerly Tyneside and Tyrone)
Hohner Pokerwork D/G

Thrupenny Bit

• happily squeezing away in Devon
« Reply #43 on: November 21, 2019, 05:59:12 PM »

I knew you'd say that George!
I have tried using my thumb but I  destabilise the box as my thumb anchors it and I use it as a reference point.
I have become quite proficient at using the chin end ones 'my way '

I don't think I could use the chin end accidentals using the Morris Grip, but I know some do!
Q
Thrupenny Bit

I think I'm starting to get most of the notes in roughly the right order...... sometimes!

Peadar

« Reply #44 on: November 21, 2019, 09:09:57 PM »

You then need to jump between the treble button up to the accidental.

That's what you get with a DG, isn't it? So glad I wasn't lured into the DG trap. Best thing I never did.
That's a little harsh....I would see it as not being lured into the 4th button start trap.
Why should the devil have all the best instruments???

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #45 on: November 21, 2019, 09:13:04 PM »

I think the point that Richard is making is that a semitone system is more logical (in the context of diatonic boxes) and it is chromatic so no need for big stretches like you may have to make for chin end accidentals on a 4th apart system.  I don’t think you can really argue with that.
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

george garside

« Reply #46 on: November 21, 2019, 09:40:14 PM »

that is indeed true .  The 2 row the semitone and 4th apart boxes  both have advantages and limitations which is probably why I play both systems.  The  2 row semitone boxes are chromatic and the accidentals fall readily to hand  but some keys are not particularly easy. The downside is a shortage of usable bass capable of driving a strong rhythm  and  less scope for right hand chords unless playing in the two home keys.  On the other hand the semitone boxes  have lots of scope for right hand chords both on and across the rows  and bass to drive a good strong rhtymn in the home keys.

The 3 row semitone boxes  with stradella bass get round most of the problems with the price of a larger heavier box.  The 3 row 4th apart boxes  chuck in an extra home key with bass to match  and are generally more versatile than the 2 row jobs, but again at the penalty of increased weight and bulk)

Some people  seem to torture themselves trying to get a simple 'folk' box to do things the makers never intended  but of course this can be fun in itself.  However those who want a box capable of meeting their every need(ish)   either have to indulge in the art of faking here and there  or go for  a large continental or piano box
which again is why I havae boxes (all 'diatonic') ranging from 8 to 96 bass and from one to three rows. All good fun!?

george
author of DG tutor book "DG Melodeon a Crash Course for Beginners".

Thrupenny Bit

« Reply #47 on: November 22, 2019, 10:35:55 AM »

Yes, everything with a basic 2 row is a compromise.
My compromise is that I have toyed with the idea of a 2.5 row/12 bass box which brings the accidentals nearer the fingers and allows for playing in  more keys.
But.... I don't play many tunes outside of the 2 row DG range, so have adapted my style to making them fit in terms of keys and using the chin end accidentals where necessary.
Even with small hands I can use the accidentals with a 4th button start. I have become used to a stretch, it is entirely possible.

It all comes down to what music you wish to play, and how best to accommodate it on a box.
Q
Thrupenny Bit

I think I'm starting to get most of the notes in roughly the right order...... sometimes!

Thrupenny Bit

« Reply #48 on: November 22, 2019, 10:39:22 AM »

....'Making them fit...'  Transposing tunes using abc is such a great tool and useful to see if a tune can be crammed onto your box!
Q
Thrupenny Bit

george garside

« Reply #49 on: November 22, 2019, 11:25:02 AM »

or simply "transpose" tunes by ear  which is quite easy once you can hum, sing or whistle  a tune.   As a matter of 'interesting practice'  I often run through a tune in all 12 keys on my BCC# box. - the more you do it the easier it gets  . on a 2 row DG box  its simply a question of playing a tune in D or G ( and maybe A) irrespective of the key it is written in.    It can help to thing in terns of do, re , me etc rather than the name of a particular note.

george
author of DG tutor book "DG Melodeon a Crash Course for Beginners".
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal