Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Migration to new forum software  (Read 5747 times)

Fred

• G/C Pariselle, D/G Loffet & maybe too many Hohners
Migration to new forum software
« on: November 19, 2019, 04:49:33 PM »

Hi everyone,

I know that there has been discussion about this before but I wanted to bring up the topic again.

Are there any plans to migrate our beloved forum to some newer platform?

Good reasons to do so:
- HTTPS encryption (forum is handling login data and personal messages after all)
- no more cookie problems (you know, those lovely errors most of us get on an irregular basis)
- hopefully better search functionality

Webmasters and admins, what do you think?

Best wishes

Mike Hirst

• Primatona IV D/D#, Black Dot B/C, One Row in D
Re: Migration to new forum software
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2019, 05:07:10 PM »

I understand your concerns, but it has to be said that I have never had any problems with this forum. I find it robust and dependable. Unlike other forums I do not have to jump through hoops to get to work. I am a cautious internet user. Some forums are incontinent - dropping  their sh*t with scant regard for cleanliness. In my experience, this forum does not. If it aint broke don't try to fix it.
"Slip like Freudian, your first and last step to playing yourself like an Accordion" - MF DOOM - Madvillain

Sebastian

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2019, 06:23:29 PM »

I don’t remember any technical problems for me using this forum.

Nevertheless reading it on the small screen of a smartphone is not exactly pleasing. (I do think SMF has a module or something to help with this a bit, but I’m not sure.)

Maybe I’m wrong, but isn’t HTTPS a different thing and independent from the forum software?

Graham Spencer

• MAD as a wet Hohner........
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2019, 06:53:58 PM »

I've never had any issues here either; it works smoothly and seamlessly on all three devices I use to access it. As Mike said, if it ain't broke........

Graham
Among others, Saltarelle Pastourelle II D/G; Hohner 4-stop 1-rows in C & G; assorted Hohners; 3-voice German (?) G/C of uncertain parentage; lovely little Hlavacek 1-row Heligonka; B♭/E♭ Koch. Newly acquired G/C Hohner Viktoria. Also Fender Jazz bass, Telecaster, Stratocaster, Epiphone Sheraton, Charvel-Jackson 00-style acoustic guitar, Danelectro 12-string and other stuff..........

Squeezing in the Cyprus sunshine

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2019, 07:10:53 PM »

I don’t remember any technical problems for me using this forum.

Nevertheless reading it on the small screen of a smartphone is not exactly pleasing. (I do think SMF has a module or something to help with this a bit, but I’m not sure.)

Click on the link at the bottom of the screen “WAP2”

Maybe I’m wrong, but isn’t HTTPS a different thing and independent from the forum software?

Yes that’s correct.
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

Roger Hare

• Urmston, Lancashire, U.K.
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2019, 08:01:37 PM »

...I have never had any problems with this forum...

Me too!

I have subscribed to at least two other forums in wildly differing areas (sailing, audio books) which use this
software - configured slightly differently, so that the appearance is slightly different in each case, but never
experienced a problem...
For more about Manchester Morris, The Beech Band Folk Club or anything else,  please use the private messaging facility.
My (large) ABC Tune Book is here.

Clive Williams

• Administrator
    • Home Page
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2019, 10:14:31 PM »

Main concern for me is that SMF2 (which we use) isn't terribly well supported at the moment. Have briefly considered a migration to a more recent platform, but as others have said, it works, and there's other ways to spend time for now...

Fred

« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2019, 12:53:20 AM »

Yes that’s correct.

Didn't intend to mix things up as I know that encryption is a topic of its own. Still, migrating to a new platform would be a good opportunity to set up a renewed SSL certificate and enforce https as the secure and modern standard. (Current certificate is expired since I don't know how long.)

Main concern for me is that SMF2 (which we use) isn't terribly well supported at the moment. Have briefly considered a migration to a more recent platform, but as others have said, it works, and there's other ways to spend time for now...

Understandable that you're not too keen on putting in the required time and effort. I'm wondering what would be the tipping point for you?

some people saying that there are no cookie related problems with posting

There are posts about this on an irregular basis. There are often errors trying to post and I'd be happy to see them gone. Either with an updated version of SMF2 (presumably not going to happen) or with some other platform.

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
  • MAD is inevitable. Keep Calm and Carry On
    • Lizzie Dripping
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2019, 01:13:36 AM »

I like the way this forum software behaves. It works just fine for me.
As far as I can see it ain't broke, so no need to fix it.
Steve
Sheffield, UK.
www.lizziedripping.org.uk

Nick Collis Bird

• Been squeezing melodeons for over 48 years (badly)
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2019, 06:04:45 AM »

I like the way this forum software behaves. It works just fine for me.
As far as I can see it ain't broke, so no need to fix it.

Ditto!!
Has anyone heard of the song. “ Broken Alarm-clock Blues” ? It starts   “I woke up this Afternoon”

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2019, 09:26:16 AM »

some people saying that there are no cookie related problems with posting

There are posts about this on an irregular basis. There are often errors trying to post and I'd be happy to see them gone. Either with an updated version of SMF2 (presumably not going to happen) or with some other platform.

We are on the most up to date version of SMF 2.0.15.  There is SMF2.1 in beta testing

Apart from HTTPS our security seems to be pretty good.  We've had no spammers here for several years I think.  Spammers appear to be the biggest security risk for a discussion forum.

Nearly all the errors that have been reported are a result of some of our security settings being too restrictive.  At present these errors seem to be at a very low level, judging by the reports received.
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

Bill Young

• Paolo Soprani BCC#
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2019, 12:18:15 PM »

I don’t have any problems with the forum as it is and don’t think it needs to change. But then I'm biased as I use the same SMF software for my BCC# Button Box Forum https://buttonbox.org.uk.

Regarding a Search facility, it wouldn’t be easy to do better than the Google Search option in the main menu.

SSL security is a separate thing. I have it on the Button Box Forum (free from my website hosting provider).

invadm

« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2019, 12:24:27 PM »

all works fine for me too however  ;) ....... I wish it was easier to upload full size photos-a bunch of them- and our own video sharing option without going thru you tube,sound cloud etc links ..
as main aim is discussion melodeons I'd guess photos and videos comes 2nd or 3rd and I understand that fully.     

Clive Williams

• Administrator
    • Home Page
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2019, 02:52:33 PM »

Understandable that you're not too keen on putting in the required time and effort. I'm wondering what would be the tipping point for you?

Generally when the risks of staying on the platform outweigh the risks of migration. A large security hole that goes unpatched for example. The risks of losing at least some of our existing data during a migration would be sizeable, even though I'd pick something with an established migration tool to move from SMF2 - there are products out there that do have that. We'd also have to migrate the informational parts of the site, which are currently implemented as an SMF2 plugin using 'SimplePortal'. That would probably go to Wordpress, or something similar I expect.

In general, I don't see functionality on other portal platforms that I miss enough to make a serious feasibility study of a non-emergency migration worthwhile yet.

Fred

« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2019, 03:15:20 PM »

In general, I don't see functionality on other portal platforms that I miss enough to make a serious feasibility study of a non-emergency migration worthwhile yet.

Fair.

Calum

• Good talker
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2019, 03:40:40 PM »

Just a comment on the ain'tbrokedon'tfix mindset - this is a good principle in general, but it is worth knowing with tech that it's not that simple.  Every internet service depends on a cluster of supporting technologies, and over time those services update, change, retire, upgrade, and anything that relies on them needs to adapt.  Sometimes things get to the point where adaption is no longer possible, and it's worth staying ahead of that rather than being caught short when XYZ essential feature goes away because something else broke. 

Eshed

• Respected Sage
« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2019, 09:01:17 AM »

While forum software is indeed not an issue.
I would like to voice my concern regarding https.
People will be using passwords for melnet that they use elsewhere no matter what we say or recommend. So their passwords are essentially public knowledge now.
I cannot exaggerate the security hazard here.
Do you have a Hohner from 1934-1945 with a serial number on?
Send me a private message or comment on the German Accordion Problem spreadsheet to improve the statistics of the project and get an estimate of the production date of the box if it is not known.

Fred

« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2021, 01:27:25 PM »

While forum software is indeed not an issue.
I would like to voice my concern regarding https.
People will be using passwords for melnet that they use elsewhere no matter what we say or recommend. So their passwords are essentially public knowledge now.
I cannot exaggerate the security hazard here.

Any updates regarding this topic?

Graham Spencer

• MAD as a wet Hohner........
« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2021, 03:56:08 PM »

Other than that I  still have absolutely no problems whatever, I guess not.........
Among others, Saltarelle Pastourelle II D/G; Hohner 4-stop 1-rows in C & G; assorted Hohners; 3-voice German (?) G/C of uncertain parentage; lovely little Hlavacek 1-row Heligonka; B♭/E♭ Koch. Newly acquired G/C Hohner Viktoria. Also Fender Jazz bass, Telecaster, Stratocaster, Epiphone Sheraton, Charvel-Jackson 00-style acoustic guitar, Danelectro 12-string and other stuff..........

Squeezing in the Cyprus sunshine

Roger Hare

• Urmston, Lancashire, U.K.
« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2021, 04:36:20 PM »

My comment of Nov 19 2019 still applies:

I have subscribed to at least two other forums in wildly differing areas (sailing, audio books) which use this
Simple Machines software - configured slightly differently, so that the appearance is slightly different in each
case, but I've never experienced a problem using this software...

This is still true. If it ain't broke, don't fix it is my feeling...
« Last Edit: March 16, 2021, 07:00:50 AM by Roger Hare »
For more about Manchester Morris, The Beech Band Folk Club or anything else,  please use the private messaging facility.
My (large) ABC Tune Book is here.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal