Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Brand spanking new!  (Read 3849 times)

Chris Rayner

• Respected Sage
Brand spanking new!
« on: November 19, 2019, 06:18:51 PM »

I have bought many many musical instruments in my time. Guitars, ukeleles, a mandolin, several mouth organs, penny whistles etc.  The smaller cheaper instruments I have often bought new, apart from anything else there is something slightly revolting about using a whistle or mouth organ whose previous owner(s) is/are unknown.  I have bought three guitars new, in 1969, 1986, and 1988.  All my free reeds were in good(ish) used condition until last weekend in Witney.

I was not using my G/C/Acc Benny, as I had abandoned my attempts to get to grips with the Heim layout in favour of the C system CBA.  So I decided to investigate the possibility of trading it in part-exchange for a smaller CBA.  The prospect of carting my 120 bass four reed behemoth about the country to sessions and so on did not appeal.  So at Witney I made enquires.  There were several options.  There were some attractive Pigini instruments for sale, but Acorn were displaying two four row accordions.  A two voice K2 with 60 basses, and a three voice K3 with identical bass side. 

I tried both.  They simply knock spots off most of the competition.  They are light (as these things go) responsive and beautifully made.  The K2 is very similar in sound to a perfectly set up two voice melodeon, sweet and with just enough tremolo to please without being too wet.  The K3, on the other hand, offers a choice of treble sound. A plaintive single reed, two reeds similar to the K2, and a bandoneon.  Then you can have all three, and you’ve got your own dance band.  The left hand side is full sounding without being overpowering.  The K3 is 125% of the price of the K2, but in my opinion is 300% of the instrument.  Shrouds have no pockets, much less accordion cases, so I did the deal.

I was a little anxious that the difference between the Castagnari and my Paolo Soprani might make it hard to transfer between them, but there is no such problem.  And I can get up and walk about playing it.

Deep joy
« Last Edit: November 20, 2019, 09:32:55 AM by Chris Rayner »
Elderly amateur musician hoping to stave off dementia by learning to play the melodeon.  Main instrument a Tommy, also D/G and G/C pokerworks,  a single row 2 stop Hohner, and a new addition to the free reedery, a rather splendid Paolo Soprani four voice 120 bass c-system chromatic button accordion.  Very shiny, very loud, and about the same size and weight as a small car.  Now I’ve traded me Benny with (ahem) a cash adjustment, to a three voice 60 bass Castagnari K3.

playandteach

• Currently a music teacher in a high school.
Re: Brand spanking new!
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2019, 06:51:34 PM »

I hope you stick around here, and it would be great to hear how you get on. Best of luck.
Serafini R2D2 GC, Serafini GC accs 18 bass

pete /acorn

• .Cast Trilly
    • Acorn Instruments
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2019, 11:14:50 PM »

Hi Chris

I am really glad that the Castagnari K3 chromatic accordion is proving to do what you want,Im sure you will have many years of enjoyment from it.
The Castagnari Piano box is also just as impressive,Simon Dumpleton has one and really enjoys it

Thank you for trusting Acorn Instruments once again
Acorn Instruments are the official retailer for Castagnari Instruments,Melodeons and Accordions for England and Scotland and have an extensive stock of new instruments on the shelf for prompt delivery in standard layouts however these can easily be changed to customers specia lrequirements
 We also have the largest stock in the UK of  pre loved melodons all fully serviced,and with 12 months warranty
UK and international customers catered for
www.acorninstruments.co.uk

mudchutney

• Mudchutney
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2020, 09:59:40 AM »

If you're up for doing a short video reviewing the Castagnari I'd love to see it.  I almost bought one but didn't like the very square edge by my left wrist just before it passed through the bass strap.  Ended up with a Saltarelle Bourroche instead.  Now seriously thinking of buying an accordina (I'll probably create a separate thread for that in a mo...)
Player of a Saltarelle Bourroche 5 row CBA
Purveyor of folky themed clothing at www.mudchutney.co.uk

Chris Rayner

• Respected Sage
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2020, 11:58:32 PM »

If you're up for doing a short video reviewing the Castagnari I'd love to see it.  I almost bought one but didn't like the very square edge by my left wrist just before it passed through the bass strap.  Ended up with a Saltarelle Bourroche instead.  Now seriously thinking of buying an accordina (I'll probably create a separate thread for that in a mo...)

Ooooooh!  Only been playing a short while, and I’m shy.  Not really up to performing in public.  I don’t find the shape uncomfortable on the left.  I’ll probably fetch it along to the playgroup in The Fleece and to Melodeons in Wensleydale if you want to encounter it in the Wood/metal/cardboard/whatevs.
Elderly amateur musician hoping to stave off dementia by learning to play the melodeon.  Main instrument a Tommy, also D/G and G/C pokerworks,  a single row 2 stop Hohner, and a new addition to the free reedery, a rather splendid Paolo Soprani four voice 120 bass c-system chromatic button accordion.  Very shiny, very loud, and about the same size and weight as a small car.  Now I’ve traded me Benny with (ahem) a cash adjustment, to a three voice 60 bass Castagnari K3.

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
    • Lester's Melodeon Emporium and Tune-a-Rama
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2020, 07:30:48 AM »

I’ll probably fetch it along to the playgroup in The Fleece
I'd watch out for the melodeon police if you do

Chris Rayner

• Respected Sage
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2020, 12:11:03 PM »

I shall employ diversionary tactics with me ukulele.  Might even unleash the banjo if it escalates.😉

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
    • Lester's Melodeon Emporium and Tune-a-Rama
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2020, 02:01:36 PM »

I shall employ diversionary tactics with me ukulele.  Might even unleash the banjo if it escalates.😉
The Eviction Elf will be present for such eventualities

Chris Rayner

• Respected Sage
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2020, 02:39:41 PM »

I might have to deploy the twelve string in that case.😳

malcolmbebb

• In dampest Dorset, on the soggy south coast.
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2020, 04:10:40 PM »

8) Do bear in mind that the Fleece has more than one open fireplace.  8) Be a shame if your hand slipped (nudge, nudge).  8)
Dino BPII.
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire."

Gary P Chapin

• L'Accordéonaire
  • We are all the Free Reed Liberation Orchestra
    • l'Accordéonaire
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2020, 04:19:42 PM »

Ooooooh!  Only been playing a short while, and I’m shy.  Not really up to performing in public.  I don’t find the shape uncomfortable on the left.  I’ll probably fetch it along to the playgroup in The Fleece and to Melodeons in Wensleydale if you want to encounter it in the Wood/metal/cardboard/whatevs.

If not a playing video, then an "unboxing" video just showing off. I am pretty excited on your behalf!
Read the l'Accordéonaire French music blog: http://accordeonaire.com/
The Bal Folk Tune Book Project: https://accordeonaire.com/bal-folk-tune-book-project/
The Free Reed Liberation Orchestra: https://accordeonaire.com/the-free-reed-liberation-orchestra/

Chris Rayner

• Respected Sage
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2020, 05:07:32 PM »

If not a playing video, then an "unboxing" video just showing off. I am pretty excited on your behalf!

Oh, OK.  I’ll try to do one in the next couple of days.  No promises.

Gary P Chapin

• L'Accordéonaire
    • l'Accordéonaire
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2020, 05:27:00 PM »

Oh, OK.  I’ll try to do one in the next couple of days.  No promises.

Thanks, didn't mean for my enthusiasm to be quite so demanding! But I appreciate it.
The Bal Folk Tune Book Project: https://accordeonaire.com/bal-folk-tune-book-project/
The Free Reed Liberation Orchestra: https://accordeonaire.com/the-free-reed-liberation-orchestra/

Helena Handcart

• Nine-box Nellie
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2020, 06:54:59 PM »

8) Do bear in mind that the Fleece has more than one open fireplace.  8) Be a shame if your hand slipped (nudge, nudge).  8)

>:E
Sideways typing on the wooden handbag (now with added electric typewriter).

Green Man Sword | Helena Handcart on Soundcloud| Squeezebox from Scratch |

Helena Handcart

• Nine-box Nellie
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2020, 07:01:52 PM »

Well do I remember the last banjo player who infiltrated the Fleece sessions, actually come to think of it it was the one before last:

"There's 37 melodeons in this bar and all I can hear is that sodding banjo"
Sideways typing on the wooden handbag (now with added electric typewriter).

Green Man Sword | Helena Handcart on Soundcloud| Squeezebox from Scratch |

Chris Rayner

• Respected Sage
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2020, 07:22:57 PM »

Well do I remember the last banjo player who infiltrated the Fleece sessions, actually come to think of it it was the one before last:

"There's 37 melodeons in this bar and all I can hear is that sodding banjo"

Some people don’t really get the idea of ensemble playing.  I do try to fit in.  I hope it’s noticeable, even welcome sometimes.

Chris Rayner

• Respected Sage
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2020, 08:32:08 AM »

As promised to Gary, here is a video of me demonstrating my new Castagnari CBA.

https://youtu.be/tisy3poeNEU

Nick Collis Bird

• Been squeezing melodeons for over 48 years (badly)
« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2020, 09:03:10 AM »

Although I dont play one Chris, that’s one hell of a machine.
Has anyone heard of the song. “ Broken Alarm-clock Blues” ? It starts   “I woke up this Afternoon”

Rog

• Repair and tuning in Hants
« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2020, 12:46:13 PM »

Whilst on the subject of CBAs here is one that I've recently been working on. A very compact single voice Mengascini (the M has gone missing), no bigger than a melodeon really, with freebass. I just wish I could actually play it. *sigh*

Gary P Chapin

• L'Accordéonaire
    • l'Accordéonaire
« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2020, 01:54:15 PM »

As promised to Gary, here is a video of me demonstrating my new Castagnari CBA.

https://youtu.be/tisy3poeNEU

Thank you so much! That there is a thing of beauty. I will follow your career with considerable interest!

I am envious.

G
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal