Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Paolo Soprani G/C Stradella  (Read 1021 times)

tirpous

Paolo Soprani G/C Stradella
« on: December 04, 2019, 08:45:10 PM »

In a moment of MADness, I've become owner of this 1920-30 Paolo Soprani.  It's a G/C 3 voices, with 3x10 Stradella bass (bass, major and minor chords, C# and Ab missing).  I was half-expecting the treble to be chromatic, say B/C, for a streamlined 'mixte' layout.  As it stands, many of the chords would be unsuitable for G, C and related keys so I'm a bit puzzled.  Anyone know if this was a standard layout, and if so, for what kind of music ?         

Stiamh

• Old grey C#/D pest
    • Packie Manus Byrne
Re: Paolo Soprani G/C Stradella
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2019, 09:25:46 PM »

Is there anything to suggest that it was converted to G/C from another tuning?

Regardless of the answer, you might consider a conversion job (I haven't tackled my project yet).

tirpous

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2019, 07:04:29 PM »

No, it's quite original and while there are a few odd things (how about the 4 lowest reedplates on one side of the G block fitted with the reed tips at the bottom!), it  doesn't look like it has been converted.  Maybe I will be the one to do it !!  ;D

pgroff

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2019, 07:20:36 PM »

Here's another old accordion with a two-row GC melody layout and a stradella bass (see pdf attached at bottom of this post) and discussions quoted and linked below:

The Keshel accordion (pics below) is a 2 row G/C built into a body that may have been intended for a PA.  It has 6 dummy buttons - levers are there, and trimmed off aluminum pallet levers, but no holes in the soundboard or in the reedblocks.

PG

And another similar box discussed here:

http://forum.melodeon.net/index.php/topic,23504.msg280053.html#msg280053

Will try to take some fresh photos of the Keshel box next time I'm working in my storage space.

« Last Edit: December 05, 2019, 07:24:55 PM by pgroff »

Winston Smith

• AKA Edward Jennings
    • "Our Luxor B&B" Luxor life, slice by slice.
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2019, 07:58:31 PM »

"4 lowest reedplates on one side of the G block fitted with the reed tips at the bottom"

I seem to recall doing this on one of my Frankenstein conversions. There just wasn't room for the lowest couple of treble reed tongues to swing back and forth in the top end of the newly extended chambers. I don't remember any problem with a change of sound at all.
At last, broken and resigned to accept conformity.
Oh, how I LOVE Big Brother!

trikitilari

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2019, 12:03:35 AM »

I have also seen two examples of trikitixas with 40 (4x10) stradella basses. The one in the photo is in a museum in Zumarraga (Gipuzkoa). It is a Larrinaga-Guerrini, made in Donostia in the 1930s, and it is (I think) in C/F.
Castagnari Giasco III Bb/Eb, Giulietti G/C, Modified Hohner pressedwood A/D, 1960s Paolo Soprani Bb/Eb, 1920s Paolo Soprani C#/F#, 1950s Larrinaga C/F
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal