Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: What's a currently available good clip-on microphone setup these days?  (Read 1488 times)

Clive Williams

• Administrator
    • Home Page

Sorry chaps, I know this has been asked in the past, but times move on, and the answer may well have changed, so...

I currently have a 2x AKG416 swan neck mic setup on my main box (the bass mic is a clip-on version of the same thing actually, but you get the idea); great sound quality, "just works", and 20 years old. I can't believe it's still working, and surely its time will run out soon, especially given the state of the wiring.

What's a decent, equivalent system these days? Capable of being fitted and removed to a Mory without damaging it, not necessarily top line, but decent enough for ceilidh band use and the occasional concert.

I'm not a 'microphones on stands' person, and a microvox, good though they are won't work physically on the Mory (I've got one of my Pokerwork though, and it's great - again worked for 25 years now, no problem at all). Quick mount/dismount would be a bonus, as would some kind of wireless setup (that works reliably in dodgy electrical situations).

Any thoughts? What do you folks use?

Chris Brimley

Re: What's a currently available good clip-on microphone setup these days?
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2019, 09:43:28 AM »

(Steering well clear of the mics-on-stands vs. clip-on debate!)

However, can I suggest an important factor in your decisions might be the foldback system (if you use one) in your playing situation?  'Sound quality' is a highly multi-dimensional matter.

Anahata

• This mind intentionally left blank
  • Oakwood D/G, C/F Club, 1-rows in C,D,G
    • Treewind Music
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2019, 09:55:06 AM »

The obvious replacement for the C416 (discontinued) is the C516!

For lower cost, look at the T-bone Ovid system from Thomann.
I have its predecessor, with something like the "universal clip" but rely on heavy duty velcro to attach the clip to my melodeon.
It sounds great, and I count it as an advantage that it has a phantom power adapter built in to the XLR connector. You do need phantom power from the mixer, but in contrast the AKG battery box is too many extra connections, bits to go wrong, switches to be set incorrectly and batteries to fail, and no option of running from phantom power.
I see they do an "accordion set" which combines the mic with what looks like their so-called piano clip. As ever, physically attaching it to the melodeon without damage is the main problem.
I'm a melodeon player. What's your excuse?
Music recording and web hosting: www.treewind.co.uk
Mary Humphreys and Anahata: www.maryanahata.co.uk
Ceilidh band: www.barleycoteband.co.uk

Clive Williams

• Administrator
    • Home Page
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2019, 11:07:38 AM »

Thanks - have heard that the C516 sound quality wasn't as good as the C416, but I'd be interested to know if anyone's noticed any difference in the real world - i.e. is it something I'm not likely to notice in practice?

I assume the Ovid microphones bend? :-) Struggled for a minute to see how you'd mount them, but then I guess with a clip mount, and something like this http://forum.melodeon.net/index.php/topic,24457.msg291362.html#msg291362 we might have a plan. Have mailed Pete to see what happened to his plan to stock these.

Cheers,

Clive

pete /acorn

• .Cast Trilly
    • Acorn Instruments
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2019, 12:10:36 PM »

I have a load ready to finish,other things took priority,
I will be back in workshop in next few days
Acorn Instruments are the official retailer for Castagnari Instruments,Melodeons and Accordions for England and Scotland and have an extensive stock of new instruments on the shelf for prompt delivery in standard layouts however these can easily be changed to customers specia lrequirements
 We also have the largest stock in the UK of  pre loved melodons all fully serviced,and with 12 months warranty
UK and international customers catered for
www.acorninstruments.co.uk

boxlad

• Respected Sage
    • Ray Ó Díomasaigh
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2019, 02:11:39 PM »

Anahata

• Treewind Music
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2019, 02:18:49 PM »

Thanks - have heard that the C516 sound quality wasn't as good as the C416

If you're that fussy, you might want to check the sound of the Ovid system carefully. Mine are quite bright sounding, but that can be compensated on the mixer, and they don't overload on my Oakwood (which can be a problem with some Microvox mics). If you want best realistic sound, for a concert performance, you're probably better off with mics on stands. Even a pair of SM57s with a good engineer on the desk can sound perfectly acceptable.

I assume the Ovid microphones bend?
They are on a bendy gooseneck, yes.

DPA is the best I have ever tried.
https://www.dpamicrophones.com/instrument-microphones
They'd better be, at the price they charge  :o
But yes, DPA are a reputable high end mic and I'd expect them to be impeccable.
Yer pays yer money and yer takes yer choice...

Martin P

• Respected Sage
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2019, 03:38:37 PM »

Not exactly microphone suggestion, but I use a guitar wireless system to connect my Microvox to PA. These are readily available on eBay for £35.00. Works great and I suspect the Bluetooth transmitter acts as a pre-amp because sound is slightly louder and more solid than via cable. As I play for Border morris side and I Jig about a lot when playing, wireless is great. Means I can walk forward to ask the side what dance they are about to do!

Clive Williams

• Administrator
    • Home Page
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2019, 03:48:23 PM »

Not exactly microphone suggestion, but I use a guitar wireless system to connect my Microvox to PA. These are readily available on eBay for £35.00. Works great and I suspect the Bluetooth transmitter acts as a pre-amp because sound is slightly louder and more solid than via cable. As I play for Border morris side and I Jig about a lot when playing, wireless is great. Means I can walk forward to ask the side what dance they are about to do!

Interesting! Are there any latency issues? Any issues with interference?

Anahata

• Treewind Music
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2019, 08:12:12 PM »

Standard Bluetooth latency is 200ms, which would be a big problem.
Apparently it can be reduced to around 50ms, which would still be a noticeable delay.
I had to look this up, because the whole idea is intriguing.
Are you sure it's really Bluetooth? I've (just) seen Bluetooth mics advertised, but they looked like toys.
And yes, there would be a preamp in the transmitter because that will have an A/D converter, which needs more audio voltage than a microphone would give.

Other than Bluetooth, a wireless mic system using a beltpack transmitter is always a possibility for a melodeon, and could be useful if you are apt to leap about on stage with your instrument.

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2019, 08:24:15 PM »

If we're talking wireless, these are as good as you can get for reliable wireless connection. A little bit pricier than some, but the 2.4GHz link works a treat with  Microvox pickups and probably any others you want to name. No latency. No feedback issues.

https://www.thomann.de/gb/xvive_wireless_for_guitar_bass.html
Greg Smith
DG/GC Pokerwork, DG 2.4 Saltarelle, pre-war CF Hohner, Hohner 1040 Vienna style, old  BbEb Hohner that needs a lot of work.

ACCORDION, n. An instrument in harmony with the sentiments of an assassin. Ambrose Bierce

Gary P Chapin

• L'Accordéonaire
  • We are all the Free Reed Liberation Orchestra
    • l'Accordéonaire
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2019, 08:27:30 PM »

When you use these, how do you (or do you?) handle playing on multiple accordions in a performance? A mic for each? Does the clip and mic transfer easily? This is a new world for me that I just discovered I will have to enter.
Read the l'Accordéonaire French music blog: http://accordeonaire.com/
The Bal Folk Tune Book Project: https://accordeonaire.com/bal-folk-tune-book-project/
The Free Reed Liberation Orchestra: https://accordeonaire.com/the-free-reed-liberation-orchestra/

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2019, 09:03:44 PM »

The Xvive has 4 discreet channels, independently selected. Very much plug and play.

If you need more than 4 it could get tricky, but channels can be shared by more than one instrument, if needed. Each would need a gain/volume control before the wireless link, to allow for balancing.

I use a Microvox 310 which has a combined treble and bass output, so I only need one unit. They work with a variety of Microvox units: Violin, flute, etc. I don't know what they're like with other types of pickup but they work fine with a Fender Strat. No loss of tone. The transmitter plugs straight into the 1/4" jack socket.

It has a rechargeable battery that I haven't managed to flatten in a days festival use. Don't know how long the batteries actually last on a charge, though, or what the battery life is. Don't know what the life of the batteries is. Don't know if they're easily replaceable

The output from the receiver can be plugged straight into an amp input with a reasonably high impedance. They are primarily designed as electric guitar links for stage work, but they work great with microvox pickups.

I've not had any problems in the 2 seasons I've used them.
Greg Smith
DG/GC Pokerwork, DG 2.4 Saltarelle, pre-war CF Hohner, Hohner 1040 Vienna style, old  BbEb Hohner that needs a lot of work.

ACCORDION, n. An instrument in harmony with the sentiments of an assassin. Ambrose Bierce

Stotty

• Stotty
  • Regular debater
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2019, 10:38:06 PM »

I've used Xvives with a  Microvox 310 on melodeons, and also fiddle and concertina pick-ups and all have worked fine.  The fiddle and concertina pick-ups really need some pre-amp, but they also do with wired leads too.

I've also used Xvives and a Smooth Hound on my Streb, and both work fine. 

The Smooth Hound has more features (for example I think you can vary latency for guitar use), than the Xvive and I think it has more channel options (for more than 4 instruments) than the Xvive's 4 channels, but it is also good deal more "hassle" because the sender unit needs a couple of AAA batteries and the receiver end has a mains adapter and jack lead connection to the mixer. The Smooth Hound also feels a bit more fragile and is a more expensive.

The reason I first bought an Xvive (after the Smooth Hound) above all of the others available on the internet was that it gets good reviews across a lot of purchases on Amazon, and others who have used mine have then acquired their own. With on board rechargeable batteries and jack plugs at both ends the Xvive is also really easy to use with a small portable, battery powered PA, like a Roland AC30 or a Street Cube if you want a bit of a boost outside (or inside without mains power hassle). 
Perhaps some of the cheaper alternatives are as good as Xvives, but afraid I haven't been brave enough to try one.

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal