Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]   Go Down

Author Topic: D7 (and Am) Bass  (Read 6522 times)

Anahata

• This mind intentionally left blank
  • Oakwood D/G, C/F Club, 1-rows in C,D,G
    • Treewind Music
Re: D7 (and Am) Bass
« Reply #80 on: December 16, 2019, 08:50:38 AM »

True about two mic recordings, but I'd assume when Gary said "video recordings" he meant with the camera's built in mics and no rebalancing of L and R channels, or it would be an obviously loaded comparison.

I agree about the increased directionality of higher frequency sounds. It's obvious with loudspeakers and also well known to microphone designers and sound engineers.
I'm a melodeon player. What's your excuse?
Music recording and web hosting: www.treewind.co.uk
Mary Humphreys and Anahata: www.maryanahata.co.uk
Ceilidh band: www.barleycoteband.co.uk

Julian S

• D/G Pastourelle 2, Dony, Pokerwork, G/C Pariselle
« Reply #81 on: December 16, 2019, 09:02:04 AM »

The difference between what one hears oneself and what others do is certainly an issue. I like playing my Dony at home, but I think the bass is much stronger sounding than the treble - and whilst droned bass/chords sound really nice it's easy to overpower the treble. I've certainly had comments that people can't hear melody over the bass end. I think it might be that the treble needs a bit more tremelo to cut through - it's problematic playing in a session, but fine when miked up.
 Could be time for me to contact an expert !
As for my faithful Pastourelle, bass end is definitely not as sweet sounding as the Dony, but the balance (at least to me) is much better, and using held bass works well. And having just had the bass mechanism replaced - no clacks !

J
Old Bones Dance Band

Thrupenny Bit

• happily squeezing away in Devon
« Reply #82 on: December 16, 2019, 10:09:03 AM »

I suspect too, there are other biological factors creeping in.
Julian and I are both Male and of a similar age. Therefore our hearing will have suffered some top end hearing loss ( I know I have )  thus we hear bass notes and loose some treble. Probably other factors come into play as well.

I don't play tunes that require held bass/chords and overlay the melody on top, as I simply can't take out the low bass on my boxes. I sometimes get tempted with one that has this feature, and I might jump that way in the future. I certainly come back to this at times, as being able to switch in a low bass can give a tune extra oomph which can be a nice impetus in a tune.
For the majority of tunes not requiring droned basses then to my mind the balance of bass and treble is less of an issue, so long as its reasonably balanced.
Q
Thrupenny Bit

I think I'm starting to get most of the notes in roughly the right order...... sometimes!
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal