Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: The official #AccordionEmoji is probably coming out in March  (Read 1421 times)

Bruce Triggs

• Accordion Uprising
The official #AccordionEmoji is probably coming out in March
« on: December 08, 2019, 12:38:29 AM »

Hi all,

I'm pleased to share that my real-live #AccordionEmoji proposal has gone through almost all the official hoops, and if all goes as planned, should be announced publicly in March 2020. It would then trickle out over the year onto people's phones and devices (are digital accordions emoji-compatible?) Apple usually comes last, so the emoji would be available on iPhones by September. So that'll be amusing.

The proposal-art ended up being a three-row button-box, but different services will design their own, so I expect quite a few piano accordions. Maybe it was good to get the buttons out there in hopes some of the official emoji designers will use them.

The finished proposal is here for your perusal (big pdf): http://www.unicode.org/L2/L2019/19087-accordion-emoji.pdf
I used it to talk about traditions around the world, and the usefulness of being able to talk about #Accordion wallets, #Accordion doors, #Accordion pleats, as well as #Accordion music ;):

I've been following the process on twitter at:
https://twitter.com/accordionemoji

Here's the list of all the upcoming draft emoji proposals at "the Unicode Consortium" (I love to say that):
(I was hoping "Disco Ball" would party with the Accordion, but they're having trouble making it not look like a christmas ornament.)
https://unicode.org/emoji/future/emoji-candidates.html

The EmojiNation.org folks helped a Lot in writing the proposal and the whole procees!
http://www.emojination.org/

Last year I published a book. Next year an Emoji. Here's to a good years to come!
Bruce Triggs
Accordion Revolution: a People’s History of the Accordion in North America

Broadland Boy

• Awful noises from Pokerwork, HA114G, BbEb Liliputs
Re: The official #AccordionEmoji is probably coming out in March
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2019, 01:48:11 AM »

Congratulations Bruce, for those of us firmly embedded at the Luddite end of the Melnet spectrum would you please be so kind as to explain by what standard or authority this becomes official and what if any advantage it will be to us all? 
We already have a very nice, appropriate, range of these, poised ready for use above the text box as I type  :||: :||:  oh there's one of my favourites ;)  will their use be banned by some self appointed cyber bullies ?
I don't want to diminish your clearly considerable effort to achieve this but doubt I'm alone thinking 'what does it mean to us'

Cheers
Richard in Blustery Broadland
Richard A
Venit ventus contrarius ventus egrediente,
Omnes prope quid ventum est circa

Bruce Triggs

• Accordion Uprising
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2019, 04:09:19 AM »

Hi Richard,

No worries. Everybody will be able to keep using personal emojis and the ones on forums like this.

More relevant to this site: Someone could write a tune called "Accordion Emoji," and play it as the thing appears on people's phones all over the world.

Long winded: There is an international computer industry group with the great name "The Unicode Consortium" that makes standards so that computers can show roughly the same characters when you type in your phone or another brand of computer or wherever. They've been doing that for years without anybody noticing.

In the last decades they've been approving a growing list of standard emoji characters, so a cellphone in one place will show something similar as a computer. Every year they approve some more. There's a banjo emoji on the new phones—the gauntlet had been thrown. Different companies (computer or phone makers) let people use these standard emojis. I just tried some of the "standard" emojis here and they didn't work. So there goes international standards ;). But they'll work in many places.

Short winded: Nothing will change, but millions (billions?) of people will be able to add little accordions to their text messages or whatever. Even my kids! It's silly, but was a fun project while I was waiting for copy-edits on my accordion history book.

Now I'm curious how the emojis work on this forum. I think they're an earlier system based on the smilies like :) that people have used for years. The Unicode emojis are sort of an upgrade on that system to add many more.

For those interested in further boring "emoji theory" I just searched for "emoji history" and got a screenful of articles to peruse.

I could start here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emoticon

And then go here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emoji

But instead I'm going to go eat dinner with my fam in the real world.  ;D
Bruce Triggs

Anahata

• This mind intentionally left blank
  • Oakwood D/G, C/F Club, 1-rows in C,D,G
    • Treewind Music
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2019, 09:31:33 AM »

The emojis on melnet and similar are graphic images inserted by the forum software to replace certain sequences of characters in the text.
A Unicode  character is actually part of the font, so you'll be able to use the accordion emoji when (and only when) you can install a font that includes it.
I'm a melodeon player. What's your excuse?
Music recording and web hosting: www.treewind.co.uk
Mary Humphreys and Anahata: www.maryanahata.co.uk
Ceilidh band: www.barleycoteband.co.uk

Broadland Boy

• Awful noises from Pokerwork, HA114G, BbEb Liliputs
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2019, 11:34:38 PM »

Thanks both for clarifying this, ASCII on steroids as a very loose approximation. What is regarded as essential by the post Ctrl+Alt+Del generations is often a mystery for one now much better informed, but not necessarily any wiser  semicolon+close bracket or ;)
Richard A
Venit ventus contrarius ventus egrediente,
Omnes prope quid ventum est circa

mudchutney

• Mudchutney
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2020, 10:15:19 AM »

"Accordion History Book"?  Bruce?  Do tell us more (Or should I ask on an accordion forum rather than here?!)   :|||:
Player of a Saltarelle Bourroche 5 row CBA
Purveyor of folky themed clothing at www.mudchutney.co.uk

Bruce Triggs

• Accordion Uprising
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2020, 05:39:30 AM »

[[ADMIN]]

Duplicate post removed and replaced with link to original post.

[[ADMIN]]

"Accordion History Book"?  Bruce?  Do tell us more (Or should I ask on an accordion forum rather than here?!)   :|||:

Hi Mudchutney,

My big accomplishment for 2019 was publishing Accordion Revolution: A People's History of the Accordion in North America

Details here: http://forum.melodeon.net/index.php/topic,24885.msg295970.html#msg295970
« Last Edit: January 04, 2020, 09:08:33 AM by Theo »
Bruce Triggs
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal