Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sidmouth Folk Week 2020  (Read 1486 times)

Min

Sidmouth Folk Week 2020
« on: December 10, 2019, 04:54:49 PM »

Hi, thinking about going to Sidmouth for the first time next year.  There seem to be so many ticket options (& prices!).  Any advice on which to buy please?  We are looking to go for the whole week, 'camp' with caravan on site and make the most of the workshops and general vibe.  We doubt if we will go to many of the headliner concerts. So, those with previous experience - advice would be welcome.
Thanks.

Helena Handcart

• Nine-box Nellie
Re: Sidmouth Folk Week 2020
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2019, 07:18:57 PM »

Hi Min

You might want to look at the week ticket - everything except the main headliner concerts included. Generally dearer than pay as you go but has the advantage of being able to try things out and move among events.

Hope you enjoy your first Sidmouth.

Helena
Sideways typing on the wooden handbag (now with added electric typewriter).

Green Man Sword | Helena Handcart on Soundcloud| Squeezebox from Scratch |

Julian S

• D/G Pastourelle 2, Dony, Pokerwork, G/C Pariselle
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2019, 07:37:25 PM »

Yep - good advice from Helena. Some of the venues for concerts are rather small, but if you have the week ticket you have a better chance of getting in. Alternatively, you can buy books of workshop tickets if that is more your thing, and pay as you go for other events but personally I like to be able to hop around according to what takes my fancy in the programme - drop into sessions, daytime concerts, and maybe one or two of the big evening concerts depending who is on. And the choice of workshops is great.
We're planning to go after missing it this year but I'm beginning to worry about accommodation - probably left it much too late already as we don't camp.

Julian
Old Bones Dance Band

Min

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2019, 08:00:40 PM »

Thanks Helena and Julian. I have to say the choice of tickets is bewildering.  I think we are moving towards weekly seasons and then we'll buy other concerts as and when. Hope to see you there... I'm the one playing all the right melodeon notes, in the wrong order!

Wicked Lady

• Dino Baffetti Art 86, Castagnari Tommy, BP2
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2019, 08:58:13 AM »

We used to go without Season Tickets. We bought books of tickets for Workshops and then paid to attend any dances etc we fancied. It is a very busy week with a full programme and you can feel wiped out by about Wednesday!

Nowadays we buy week Seasons as we like the flexibility of popping in and out of events and are not bothered by the big evening concerts at The Ham. But then we are basically dancers rather than musicians so this influences our choices.

David A

• Good talker
  • Serenellini Lady D/G
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2019, 09:51:51 AM »

Hi Min

You might want to look at the week ticket - everything except the main headliner concerts included. Generally dearer than pay as you go but has the advantage of being able to try things out and move among events.

Hope you enjoy your first Sidmouth.

Helena
Excellent advice from Helena. We bought the All-in-one tickets the first time we went but found we preferred many of the evening concerts in the smaller venues rather than the Ham. So now we buy a Week ticket. If you want to use the Festival camp site you have to have a Week (or Weekend if you’re only staying for the first few days) ticket. It’s very convenient being able to go to any of the workshops and daytime concerts without any additional fuss. And some of the small venue get full of ticket holders so there are no spaces for those without tickets.
It’s a fantastic, but very tiring week. We’ve already bought out tickets for 2020. David

Rob Lands

• Regular debater
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2019, 10:55:45 AM »

There is a cheaper alternative but it is likely to preclude going to some workshops especially those that run through the week.  Volunteer.  I volunteered at the Woodlands last year - moving shifts ~ 4hours either morning/afternoon/ evening, so not good for a workshopper (I did go to a few though).  There are roles that are time specific.  My daughter has done early shifts with the childrens festival allowing workshops and there are some roles advertised which have specific days/times.  "Free camping" "Free pass" (Not evening at Ham) and some small discounts.  Volunteering is advertised in the new year. I hope to volunteer in 2020.

JimmyM

• Regular debater
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2019, 10:17:41 PM »

Yup volunteering is the way forward for me. I volunteer up at the Bulverton and get free camping, free bus pass and entry to nearly all of the workshops and concerts. most of the acts i wanted to see played The bulverton and you only 'work' for a few hours each day. Bit of negotiation got me the sunday off for playing for our morrris side. All in all a very good deal. My only reservation is it took up about 2 weeks of my paid holiday from work.

mudchutney

• Mudchutney
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2020, 10:08:21 AM »

That's my problem too Jimmy - I'm self employed so can't really afford to take full weeks off work :(
I end up just going for the weekend generally.
Player of a Saltarelle Bourroche 5 row CBA
Purveyor of folky themed clothing at www.mudchutney.co.uk
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal