Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: John Spiers Melodeons!  (Read 6599 times)

David Summers

• Regular debater
John Spiers Melodeons!
« on: December 20, 2019, 11:49:26 PM »

Just been to Jackie Oats gig. Highlight for me was John Spiers - he had 8 melodeons, and used every one.

Think all were in different keys, all fourth apart, so the standard DG, CF, then BbEb, and a whole lot others I hadn't heard off. Some two voice, some three (where there was a switch behind the keyboard to take out the low voice).  Think several were franken boxes, one he could switch in any out a third on the right hand!

Two Pokerwork, others I didn't recoginse, several from the 1930s.

Inspiring to see.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2019, 10:20:04 AM by David Summers »

richard.fleming

Re: John Spires Melodeons!
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2019, 08:30:03 AM »

I'd be very interested to know about the tunes - or, more precisely, what keys were the tunes in?
Old Paolo Sopranis in C#/D and D/D#

Graham Spencer

• MAD as a wet Hohner........
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2019, 09:31:51 AM »

I'm sure Squeezy will be along to tell us more in due course........
Among others, Saltarelle Pastourelle II D/G; Hohner 4-stop 1-rows in C & G; assorted Hohners; 3-voice German (?) G/C of uncertain parentage; lovely little Hlavacek 1-row Heligonka; B♭/E♭ Koch. Newly acquired G/C Hohner Viktoria. Also Fender Jazz bass, Telecaster, Stratocaster, Epiphone Sheraton, Charvel-Jackson 00-style acoustic guitar, Danelectro 12-string and other stuff..........

Squeezing in the Cyprus sunshine

Anahata

• This mind intentionally left blank
  • Oakwood D/G, C/F Club, 1-rows in C,D,G
    • Treewind Music
Re: John Spiers Melodeons!
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2019, 10:04:45 AM »

Pedant alert: while "Spires" (as in dreaming..., of Oxford) is a useful pronunciation guide, it's spelt Spiers.
I'm a melodeon player. What's your excuse?
Music recording and web hosting: www.treewind.co.uk
Mary Humphreys and Anahata: www.maryanahata.co.uk
Ceilidh band: www.barleycoteband.co.uk

John MacKenzie (Cugiok)

• Fettling... Learning to reed and right.
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2019, 10:24:37 AM »

Aye, that's always a surprise to me the spires pronunciation, as up here in Scotland, it's always pronounced spears.
Dreaming spears anybody?

Sir John
« Last Edit: December 21, 2019, 11:11:27 AM by John MacKenzie (Cugiok) »
There is no beginning to my talent :)

: Hohner Club Modell 1. Bb/Eb, de-clubbed : Early Hohner Pressed Wood A/D : 1930's Varnished wood G/C:  Hohner Erika C/F: Bandoneon tuned D/G Pressed wood: Koch F/Bb; G/C Pre Corso

David Summers

• Regular debater
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2019, 10:29:44 AM »

I'd be very interested to know about the tunes - or, more precisely, what keys were the tunes in?
He did tell me the keys, but it was a long list, and other than the obvious ones just remember he had several esoteric keys.

Songs were I guess largely chosen by Jackie, folky christmas things, and other songs that were close enough.

Anyway back to keys, on 4th apart systems there are at most 12 possible keys, but hard to see you would need all, e.g. can play a tune in D on a DG, but probably also on an AD. Guess a lot of it may be to do with left hand, and how grunty the left hand was being, in some songs John wasn't doing much more than a drone with the left hand that slowly walked. Anyway guess bass and chords on the left hand changed alot (the 3 row had a full bank of left hand buttons, like a piano accordion; not sure if it was free bass, or arranged in bass/major/minor chords)

Thinking back on it, although not watching closely, don't remember him using the half row on his 2 and a half row boxes (which is what I thing was the majority of the boxes)  - and I guess with that many boxes, can avoid boxes with tricky fingering if needed.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2019, 10:36:38 AM by David Summers »

David Summers

• Regular debater
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2019, 10:30:46 AM »

Pedant alert: while "Spires" (as in dreaming..., of Oxford) is a useful pronunciation guide, it's spelt Spiers.
Doah - that will teach me to type messages when back late at night after a gig! I've modified ....

David Summers

• Regular debater
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2019, 10:45:34 AM »

Oh yes - other interesting thing noticed, he did a form of vibrato that I've not seen before  (e.g. more wobble on the notes than the dampness gives). He used his right hand to massage the bellows, as left hand was on the draw. Only other time I remember seeing vibralto was Tuulikki Bartosik waving her fingers on the pull, which worked well. Anyway Johns method works when doing left hand notes, Tuulikki works when doing right hand notes ...

Helena Handcart

• Nine-box Nellie
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2019, 12:22:14 PM »

John's got some great boxes - I got to try out a couple last time he played solo locally. I've got his old Streb and I will shortly be getting my very own vintage Pastourelle/Connemara* which has been a dream box of mine for quite some time.

* the one I have is the configuration currently called the Connemara but back when it  was built it was named Pastourelle.  Yes I know I am a pedant.
Sideways typing on the wooden handbag (now with added electric typewriter).

Green Man Sword | Helena Handcart on Soundcloud| Squeezebox from Scratch |

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
    • Lester's Melodeon Emporium and Tune-a-Rama
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2019, 12:24:46 PM »

John's got some great boxes - I got to try out a couple last time he played solo locally. I've got his old Streb and I will shortly be getting my very own vintage Pastourelle/Connemara* which has been a dream box of mine for quite some time.

* the one I have is the configuration currently called the Connemara but back when it  was built it was named Pastourelle.  Yes I know I am a pedant.

Pastourmara  or  Connelle   (:)

Corinto

• Regular debater
  • Spain/Brasil/Belgium
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2019, 01:03:44 PM »

My guess the 3 rows one with lots of bass buttons may be his HOHNER LUCIA chromatic converted to melodeon layout keeping the 48 (4x12) stradella bass (counterbass, bass, mayor, minor).

Look here = https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gV59q--prjQ
and here = https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQtg_jFWRt0

Or this HOHNER CORNELIA = https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SDwHiANxeZY
« Last Edit: December 21, 2019, 01:07:04 PM by Corinto »
Carpe diem, C.

Graham Spencer

• MAD as a wet Hohner........
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2019, 01:21:36 PM »

I have a Pastourelle, and when I played a friend's Connemara some years ago it confused me because the arrangement of accidentals on the half-row was different. I don't know if mine is an oddity, or if his was, or whether the difference was deliberate at the design stage, or whether there was just no consistency between models.....
Among others, Saltarelle Pastourelle II D/G; Hohner 4-stop 1-rows in C & G; assorted Hohners; 3-voice German (?) G/C of uncertain parentage; lovely little Hlavacek 1-row Heligonka; B♭/E♭ Koch. Newly acquired G/C Hohner Viktoria. Also Fender Jazz bass, Telecaster, Stratocaster, Epiphone Sheraton, Charvel-Jackson 00-style acoustic guitar, Danelectro 12-string and other stuff..........

Squeezing in the Cyprus sunshine

Helena Handcart

• Nine-box Nellie
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2019, 02:25:30 PM »

I have a Pastourelle, and when I played a friend's Connemara some years ago it confused me because the arrangement of accidentals on the half-row was different. I don't know if mine is an oddity, or if his was, or whether the difference was deliberate at the design stage, or whether there was just no consistency between models.....

Mine's actually the 23 + 4 Connemara configuration rather than 21 + 5 so in modern terms is a Connemara but at the time it was made was called a  The
Sideways typing on the wooden handbag (now with added electric typewriter).

Green Man Sword | Helena Handcart on Soundcloud| Squeezebox from Scratch |

David Summers

• Regular debater
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2019, 05:53:41 PM »

My guess the 3 rows one with lots of bass buttons may be his HOHNER LUCIA chromatic converted to melodeon layout keeping the 48 (4x12) stradella bass (counterbass, bass, mayor, minor).
From what I remember, yes it was the Lucia. Didn`t  realise that it was also a Franken device.

Thrupenny Bit

• happily squeezing away in Devon
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2019, 07:33:20 PM »

I wonder if it's a grey celluloid?
I did a workshop with him maybe 3 years back in Cornwall and Mike Rowbotham had just brought it over for him. Two totally different boxes, melodeon right hand and accordion bass end  cut and shutted into one, and you would swear it was originally built that way!
Q
Thrupenny Bit

I think I'm starting to get most of the notes in roughly the right order...... sometimes!

Clive Williams

• Administrator
    • Home Page
« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2019, 09:55:34 PM »

From what I remember, yes it was the Lucia. Didn`t  realise that it was also a Franken device.

I have another one Mike made; really quite similar. It's a converted C system CBA ( the Lucia was originally a B system or C system CBA); the treble reeds reworked into D/G/Acc, and the stradella bass left untouched. There's 2 mods on mine (and squeezy's too I think) is the stradella mechanism is modded to remove thirds from the minor row, and the provision of a proper air button.

David Summers

• Regular debater
« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2019, 09:38:04 AM »

I did a workshop with him maybe 3 years back in Cornwall and Mike Rowbotham had just brought it over for him. Two totally different boxes, melodeon right hand and accordion bass end  cut and shutted into one, and you would swear it was originally built that way!
Q
And now i'm doubting myself. Any Miles, the main man at downed folk club, took a picture:
https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=2470597959733805&id=443901609070127&anchor_composer=false

And you can see the grey celluloid box on the floor. Does make me wonder if both his 3 rows that he used had banked basses.

Clive Williams

• Administrator
    • Home Page
« Reply #17 on: December 23, 2019, 04:53:51 PM »

Q
And now i'm doubting myself. Any Miles, the main man at downed folk club, took a picture:
https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=2470597959733805&id=443901609070127&anchor_composer=false

And you can see the grey celluloid box on the floor. Does make me wonder if both his 3 rows that he used had banked basses.

Nerd that I am, I zoomed in and had a look. It's clearly a converted CBA from the pattern on the keys; if I remember rightly, the grey one is a Hohner Cordelia conversion. The main difference between this and the Lucia is that it's 3 voice, rather than 2 voice. The Lucia is rare, the Cordelia ridiculously so. Same principle though; keep the stradella bass intact, retune the treble to a D/G/Acc layout, and add a decent air button.

Corinto

• Regular debater
  • Spain/Brasil/Belgium
« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2019, 07:01:45 PM »

Nerd that I am, I zoomed in and had a look. It's clearly a converted CBA from the pattern on the keys; if I remember rightly, the grey one is a Hohner Cordelia conversion. The main difference between this and the Lucia is that it's 3 voice, rather than 2 voice. The Lucia is rare, the Cordelia ridiculously so. Same principle though; keep the stradella bass intact, retune the treble to a D/G/Acc layout, and add a decent air button.

A few months ago 4 Hohner LUCIA came up in less than 2 months time on german ebay, 2 of these on a same week.
But I've never seen a Hohner CORNELIA I on ebay, I got mine from Mike Rowbotham.
Carpe diem, C.

Eshed

• Respected Sage
« Reply #19 on: December 23, 2019, 07:18:42 PM »

If anyone is adventurous, one that looks to be either Lucia or Cornelia has been posted on facebook in Germany at least two months ago.
https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/601196847080883/
They might agree to ship, you never know :)
Do you have a Hohner from 1934-1945 with a serial number on?
Send me a private message or comment on the German Accordion Problem spreadsheet to improve the statistics of the project and get an estimate of the production date of the box if it is not known.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal