Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: Learning diatonic accordion  (Read 5824 times)

Chris Ryall

• "doc 3-row"
  • French Interpreter
  • Wirral UK
    • Chris Ryall
Re: Learning diatonic accordion
« Reply #60 on: March 22, 2020, 01:00:25 PM »

. It has been said that it takes seven months to learn the pipes and seven years to master them. That's probably true of the melodeon as well.

More or less my experience. My wife (who bought me a pokerwork to stop me practicing concertina!) was gobsmacked when I played a pair of polka’s straight through, no errors 😳  in Whitby Folk club. It was … 10 months in?
  _       _    _      _ 

Little Eggy

« Reply #61 on: March 22, 2020, 01:18:11 PM »

I've been learning this wonderful instrument for 3 years and a bit.
I know a few music basics but use YouTube to familiarise myself with tunes and learn to play them.
I hope over the coming weeks of isolation to deal with several 'deficiencies', viz :-

Improved recognition of the actual notes coming out of each button (If someone says 'give me an f#' I have to run through the D scale to get to it)

Sight reading and playing simple tunes where I can't quickly find the tune on FolkTuneFinder or YouTube

abc notation

Improving my technique several notches - clarity; smoothness; starting and ending properly - including relearning some tunes

george garside

« Reply #62 on: March 22, 2020, 02:31:55 PM »

but keep in mind that honing 'playing by ear' skills is just as or possibly more important than site reading in 'melodeon land'

george
author of DG tutor book "DG Melodeon a Crash Course for Beginners".

Brian J Morris

• Hohner Double Ray B/C, old Hohner C/F
« Reply #63 on: March 22, 2020, 02:51:21 PM »

Thanks to all of you for your wisdom gained from experience. I found the responses enlightening and frequently entertaining, but best of all the consensus is to do what I've been doing and let my fingers find their way to the right (more often than not) buttons.

Dick Rees

• Neo-Luddite
« Reply #64 on: March 22, 2020, 06:31:41 PM »

Thanks to all of you for your wisdom gained from experience. I found the responses enlightening and frequently entertaining, but best of all the consensus is to do what I've been doing and let my fingers find their way to the right (more often than not) buttons.

Each tune you learn will have the potential to add something new to your bag of tricks.  Eventually you'll keep what works and sluff off the less effective bits.  It's beneficial to keep a tune list and go back over it whenever a new tune reveals a new trick to compare and contrast technique developments and go deeper into what makes the music flow.

Two suggestions:

1.  Arpeggio exercises for the fingers and
2.  Interval recognition training for the ears.

Combining 1&2, try harmonizing scales in 3rds and 6ths.

Have fun, good luck.
"You're making the wrong mistakes."
...Thelonius Monk

"I never made one of my discoveries through the process of rational thinking."
...Albert Einstein

Cogito ergo bibo.
...Bacchus
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal