Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Putting a strap bracket back on  (Read 1539 times)

The Oul' Boy

• Respected Sage
Putting a strap bracket back on
« on: December 28, 2019, 10:24:03 AM »

Aagghh! I picked up my Pokerwork this morning and the top strap bracket pulled out. I've screwed it back on but the screws aren't going to stay in as they've just pulled out of the thread. Any suggestion for how to remedy this problem?

Thanks,

Warren.
Warren M (Edinburgh, formerly Tyneside and Tyrone)
Hohner Pokerwork D/G

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
    • Lester's Melodeon Emporium and Tune-a-Rama
Re: Putting a strap bracket back on
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2019, 10:38:30 AM »

I would fill the holes with cocktail sticks (good as the pointy end is easy to drive into the holes) and superglue then refit. Alway worked for me and never failed.

Peadar

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2019, 10:54:49 AM »

Taking the positives out of the situation- it is a sign that yoour melodeon isn't being underused. >:E

The Oul' Boy

• Respected Sage
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2019, 11:25:18 AM »

Taking the positives out of the situation- it is a sign that yoour melodeon isn't being underused. >:E

Ha ha, definitely not! Christmas, the perfect time to drive the family and neighbours mad with my playing.
Hohner Pokerwork D/G

The Oul' Boy

• Respected Sage
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2019, 11:26:19 AM »

I would fill the holes with cocktail sticks (good as the pointy end is easy to drive into the holes) and superglue then refit. Alway worked for me and never failed.

Thanks Lester! So do I fill the holes like that then drill entirely new ones somewhere close by, or redrill those holes once everything has set?
Hohner Pokerwork D/G

Peadar

« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2019, 11:52:07 AM »

If you are using small enough screws (e.g. Imperial No.2) then simply providing a starter hole in the midle of your repair with the tip of a panel pin will let the screw work it's way in.  Obviously a screwdriver with a good fit to the screw head is essential if you do it this way - otherwise you risk the screwdriver jumping and damaging the screw head.

It's good to know I'm not the only beginner north of the border to have pulled straps out of their anchors in the first twelve months....though I think doing it to a Pokerwork must earn you extra brownie points.

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2019, 11:57:16 AM »

If you are using small enough screws (e.g. Imperial No.2) then simply providing a starter hole in the midle of your repair with the tip of a panel pin will let the screw work it's way in.  Obviously a screwdriver with a good fit to the screw head is essential if you do it this way - otherwise you risk the screwdriver jumping and damaging the screw head.

It's good to know I'm not the only beginner north of the border to have pulled straps out of their anchors in the first twelve months....though I think doing it to a Pokerwork must earn you extra brownie points.

All of that and, care of Emmanuel Pariselle, put some candle wax on the screw threads. This is by far one of the best tips I have ever received.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2019, 12:27:03 PM by Lester »

Gena Crisman

• 🇬🇧
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2019, 12:16:37 PM »

All of that and, care of Emmanuel Pariselle, put some candle wax on the screw threads. This is by far one of the best tips I have ever reieved.

Do not underestimate this advice. The difference it made was extraordinary and reading this tip 2nd hand made it no less effective.

george garside

« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2019, 02:22:30 PM »

whilst I have never ever pulled a strap bracket out myself I have dealt with those that others have done.  Agree with Lesters cocktail stick or a sheved dowm matchstick  but have also used gorilla expanding glue successfully.  Just slightly dampen the hole(s) put a very small amount down each hole. gentrly tighten the screw back in and leave for at least 24 hours  to cure.

george
author of DG tutor book "DG Melodeon a Crash Course for Beginners".

The Oul' Boy

• Respected Sage
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2019, 02:40:16 PM »

... and leave for at least 24 hours  to cure.

That will be the hard part!

Thanks George.
Hohner Pokerwork D/G

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2019, 02:42:48 PM »

Use superglue and you can use it immediately.
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

The Oul' Boy

• Respected Sage
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2019, 02:45:43 PM »

Thanks Theo. So are you saying put some superglue in the original holes, screw the screws back in immediately and bob's your uncle?
Hohner Pokerwork D/G

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2019, 03:08:45 PM »

Glue in bits of cocktail stick with superglue, then then screw on the brackets.
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

Chris Rayner

• Respected Sage
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2019, 03:14:47 PM »

Thanks Theo. So are you saying put some superglue in the original holes, screw the screws back in immediately and bob's your uncle?

Only screw into fresh superglue (cyanoacrylate) if you are content never to remove the screw.  There is also a risk that the glue will go off before the screw is fully home.  The tip of using candle wax on the threads is good.  I use this particularly when using brass screws.  These are inclined to break when driven home; this tendency can be minimised by initially driving in a steel screw of the same size, once home the steel screw is removed and replaced with the brass one with the threads waxed.
Elderly amateur musician hoping to stave off dementia by learning to play the melodeon.  Main instrument a Tommy, also D/G and G/C pokerworks,  a single row 2 stop Hohner, and a new addition to the free reedery, a rather splendid Paolo Soprani four voice 120 bass c-system chromatic button accordion.  Very shiny, very loud, and about the same size and weight as a small car.  Now I’ve traded me Benny with (ahem) a cash adjustment, to a three voice 60 bass Castagnari K3.

The Oul' Boy

• Respected Sage
« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2019, 03:25:55 PM »

Sorry all, I'm probably being a bit of a thickie here, but when I fill the old holes with cocktail sticks/matchsticks/glue, do I create new holes for the screws, perhaps just marking the spot with a bradawl and screwing them in, perhaps applying candlewax to them first? Or am I meant to use the old holes again?
Hohner Pokerwork D/G

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2019, 03:40:37 PM »

Sorry all, I'm probably being a bit of a thickie here, but when I fill the old holes with cocktail sticks/matchsticks/glue, do I create new holes for the screws, perhaps just marking the spot with a bradawl and screwing them in, perhaps applying candlewax to them first? Or am I meant to use the old holes again?
  • Drip superglue into existing hole
  • Fill hole with cocktail sticks
  • Have cup of tea
  • Trim up any sticking out bits of cocktail sticks
  • Use a bradawl/small drill to start the holes in the original screw positions
  • Wax your screws
  • Screw the bracket back on
  • Robert is your father's brother

The Oul' Boy

• Respected Sage
« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2019, 04:16:43 PM »

...Robert is your father's brother

Thanks Lester! Much appreciated.
Hohner Pokerwork D/G

Grumpy

• Grumpy
  • Regular debater
« Reply #17 on: December 28, 2019, 04:59:28 PM »

By all means use a steel screw to tap the thread but always replace it with brass. The reason being many woods (English oak in particular) contain tannin which will distroy steel in short time, this is why brass screws were developed, not for marine use. Although weaker than steel and more expensive. Also (the experts may disagree) keep a tin of fine (car) valve grinding paste handy, a very small amount on the tip of a screwdriver will prevent many a slip. This is especially usefull with Philips screws if you use it before distroying the head. The residue is removed with a tissue. This was learnt from an old, long departed "real" engineer who I now wish I had paid far more attention to for his wisdom.
Chris D, Surrey, UK
Getting old but still learning. Pokerwork G/D, Saltarelle L'Elfique G/D, Castagnari Lilly G/D and Hohner Liliput Declubed G/D + English concertinas, mandolins, recorders, tin whistles and other items unknown to household managment

Grape Ape

« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2019, 12:36:46 AM »

Sorry but what does dipping the screw in wax accomplish? Just curious...

Peadar

« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2019, 02:04:34 AM »

Sorry but what does dipping the screw in wax accomplish? Just curious...
It provides a low friction layer (probably not complete) between screw and wood...which prevents wood and metal binding together. More imortant with steel screws which may otherwise rust into the wood.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal