Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Tuning files  (Read 1051 times)

Pete Dunk

• Typo Expert
Tuning files
« on: December 30, 2019, 11:28:55 AM »

I am about to embark on a prolonged period of box tuning (my own boxes of course) and I am concerned that I have not made the best choice with regard to tuning files. I generally work quite slowly using "pen sanders", narrow abrasive belts on a plastic "pen" holder, and a small selection of scratchers of varying diameter.

The pen sanders are good for fine tuning but beyond one or two cents are tediously slow to use, so I want to buy a decent swiss pattern file or two, but there is a bewildering choice of shapes and degrees of cut. Anything larger than a needle file seems too large and unwieldy for reeds and I think I probably want a 2 (medium) or 4 (fine) cut or possibly both. Should that be flat (square end or tapered), half-round, three-square, square, rat-tail, round, etc?

I think it most likely that one shape, probably flat or three-square in 2 and 4 cut will suffice but I'm interested in what others use and are happy with.

This set seems like good value, as individual files of the same brand are £10-11 each, but all are no.2 cut of course. Also, is a needle file handle a good idea for comfortable use?
Squeezing on the Isle of Oxney, UK
Primo (Serenellini) D/G
Isis D/G
Hohner B/E, G/C, C/F, Bb/Eb G/C/F
Liliputs D/G (G scale), C/F, Bb/Eb, Albrecht Custom D/G (G scale)

Prestidigitator

• Respected Sage
  • Saltarelle, Hohner, Oakwood Baffetti
Re: Tuning files
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2019, 12:01:16 PM »

The Vallorbe files are about the best there are. I have flat and triangular in both cuts, with square and pointed tips, and find that a wooden handle with a screwed brass ferrule, into which the file can be inserted and removed, makes for comfortable use. Sometimes it may interfere with the use of the file, in which case I just take the file out. One of the most useful I have is a fairly wide, flat but curved file. I do have a couple of round files, but I don't use them much, if at all.

It pays to store these expensive files carefully. I either have a drilled block of wood, to stand the handles in, or else I make cardboard scabbards for them. If they are rattling around in a box together, they quickly lose their edge. Carefully cleaning them with a suitable brush also helps. Of course, they can be kept in a wallet, if that's what they came in, but I prefer to have them a little more accessible.

The finest scratcher I have is a diamond mounted in a brass tip on a wooden handle, which I think was originally intended for marking fibre optic cables. It needs careful use, as it can quickly run away with you and produce the wrong results.

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
    • Lester's Melodeon Emporium and Tune-a-Rama
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2019, 12:10:42 PM »

Another vote for Vallorbe, I get them here
https://www.axminster.co.uk/vallorbe-swiss-saw-files-ax22603

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2019, 12:19:02 PM »

I've tried many different files but for the last few years I've used two types for almost all tuning work. 

1 Vallorbe three square needle files in cut 2 or occasionally cut 3.  I find cut 4 to be too fine.  A good UK source is Cooksongold prices are reasonable and they usually have a good selection available. 

2 Vallorbe three square extra slim saw files from Axminster Tools these are better for removing more metal and work on larger reeds. Cut is similar to a cut 1 needle file.

and occasionally if I have to remove a lot of metal as on tuning bass reeds up by filing the brass tip weights I use a Vallorbe 6" flat hand file in cut 2.

The extra cost of the genuine Vallorbe or Grobet files is well worth it for longer life.  Spring steel is hard on files and blunts cheap ones in no time at all. Avoid anything describe as "Swiss style" files.
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

Graham W

• Respected Sage
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2019, 01:24:58 PM »

Another good source of Vallorbe files is Dix Equipment  https://www.dixequipment.com
They have a vast range including the little 'escapement files' which are great for the tiniest treble reeds.

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
  • MAD is inevitable. Keep Calm and Carry On
    • Lizzie Dripping
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2019, 01:34:39 PM »

I use nearly exclusively fine diamond files, in particular these, in 400 grit grade.

At just over £5 a go, the set is cheap enough but actually lasts a long time. The flat file in the set is what I use most of all. I suppose I have gone through about 3 of the flat files in about 10 years of tuning work, which is good enough for me. The hard steel of melodeon/accordion reeds will eventually blunt the file a bit (I suspect the diamond dust gets worn away from the steel foundation) but the 'worn' file is then ideal for working on concertina reeds which tend to be slightly softer. It removes steel very, very gently, and does not leave grooves in the metal.

For filing the large reeds or their brass weights, I use the 120 grit grade flat file from this set. I've only ever bought one set and it is still going strong.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2019, 01:38:54 PM by Steve_freereeder »
Steve
Sheffield, UK.
www.lizziedripping.org.uk

Pete Dunk

• Typo Expert
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2019, 07:22:59 PM »

Thanks all, I've gone for a couple of the Vallorbe files to get me started, I will investigate diamond files and the things at Dix Equipment at a later date.
Primo (Serenellini) D/G
Isis D/G

Michael Driscoll

• Regular debater
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2019, 12:06:46 AM »

Quote from: Theo link

2 Vallorbe three square extra slim saw files from [url=https://www.axminster.co.uk/vallorbe-swiss-saw-files-ax22603
Axminster Tools[/url]

Theo, is this the three square? I can only see a listing which doesn’t say this? Thanks.

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2019, 08:32:26 AM »

Yes it is.
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

Pete Dunk

• Typo Expert
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2020, 11:16:17 AM »

The files haven't arrived yet but yesterday I checked out one of the C/F boxes I have queued up for tuning and it was generally sharp by 10/30 cents across the whole instrument so it might have been in old philharmonic pitch. I set too and tuned the whole box starting with the bass and chords (mostly +10 cents) then moving onto the treble end (mostly +10/20 cents with a few +30 odd cents thrown in). A few reeds were choking a little and others were slow to start or muffled sounding and these took a bit of time to sort out but I got there in the end.

I didn't really count the time but I think it took around 6 hours to do the whole box (standard 21+8 pre-pokerwork), which is probably appallingly slow, but this was the first time I'd done a straight forward re-tune in one sitting as opposed to a full reed overhaul (wax and valves were fine). I have to say I'm pretty chuffed with the result and learned quite a lot along the way. Happy days!
Primo (Serenellini) D/G
Isis D/G
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal