Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Tune of the Month for January 2020: La Mal-Aimable  (Read 6608 times)

Roger Howard

Re: Tune of the Month for January 2020: La Mal-Aimable
« Reply #40 on: January 29, 2020, 05:46:23 PM »

The pairing with Flatworld is a good one ... and I do like the sound of the Loffet.  (:)
G/C Gaillard 2 row, 3 voice, D/G Lilly, D/G Pariselle 2.6 row, Preciosa Bb/Eb.

arty

« Reply #41 on: January 29, 2020, 07:58:26 PM »

Thanks Fred...That's really interesting!
I agree with P&T, the Pariselle box sounds great. I would love to hear the different voices available on that box  (:)
Pre-Pokerwork C/F, Castagnari Laura G/C, Beltuna Sara 3 A/D, Castagnari Sander Special D/G

David A Hill

« Reply #42 on: January 30, 2020, 05:52:08 PM »

Looking for an accurate translation of the title; online translations vary from 'badly amiable' to 'the evil kind' the latter of which seems the most plausible to me. Also, very little information about the composer - anyone know if he is a performer? Any other compositions?
Can more or less play it now; will post when I've polished it up a bit.

Hi, all.

I know this tune well (I have the CD). I'm working on it though I can't yet play it the way I really want to, which is to emulate the style of the original as much as possible.

About the composer: Jean-Christophe Lequerré was the accordeon diatonique player for the band Fubu, which is Breton for mosquito/midget. I believe from what I can tell that he died a few years ago. He replaced Gilles Poutoux in the band. After Fubu he took up piano and formed an Irish music duo with Gilles, who has since worked a lot with former Fubu vielles à roue (hurdy gurdy) player Jean-Luc Gueneau, who is also on the original recording of the tune, released on cassette 1984.

On the CD, it's performed quite quickly, somewhere around 190 bpm, with a swing rhythm, and the second chord of each section is Dm rather than F.

Here is version by Gilles with fellow diato player Jean-Luc Larive. Jean-Luc plays the D in the bass as written by the composer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E9A8B7ySk80&lc=UgwrF5gCv8UPUWe7jot4AaABAg

(:)
« Last Edit: January 31, 2020, 02:16:56 AM by David A Hill »
Sérafini R2D2, 21+2 in G/C.

The road is long. There is no destination. Enjoy the journey. https://www.facebook.com/david.a.hill.56

Roger Howard

« Reply #43 on: January 30, 2020, 06:07:33 PM »

That’s an eye/ear opener. I’ve always thought it was a much slower, rather melancholic tune. Shows how much I know.
G/C Gaillard 2 row, 3 voice, D/G Lilly, D/G Pariselle 2.6 row, Preciosa Bb/Eb.

Gena Crisman

• 🇬🇧
« Reply #44 on: January 31, 2020, 09:22:10 PM »

Sometimes you have a plan and then attempting to execute that plan doesn't go as well as you hope and then everything isn't quite as good as you wanted it to be.

But, what's important is to post the video anyway! My hand has grown tired from my squid finger shenanigans this month. I ended up genuinely having a lot of trouble just playing the first part of the tune today, let alone my later adventures in this arrangement - both my brain and my hand are too tired to make a good job of this today, so, this is edited together from 3 parts, which some obvious flaws left unresolved.

This tune came together very quickly for me earlier this month - I suspect because of my existing comfort in finding fingering that corresponds with whatever chord I'm seeking, most bars have a fixed bellows direction until the next chord. Because of that I decided to be adventurous and include some of Pete's (playandteach's) counter melody with a bit of multi melody playing, since that's kinda what I'm into at the moment. The version provided here (in the 3rd cycle) still isn't what it's supposed to be (I accidentally just hold a B the first time through the 4th bar) but, I had to call it good because it's been a rather confounding day.

La Mal-Aimable
https://youtu.be/iranKmStXxI

Stops: Everything's on for most of the tune, although I'm in 2 voice mode to start and butcher my chin-change in this version. Hooray for D over a B major harmony.

Joan Kureczka

• Regular debater
« Reply #45 on: January 31, 2020, 09:39:40 PM »

That's really coming along nicely!
MAD: GD Oakwood Baffetti Super II, GD Loffet Pro, GD Oakwood 3-voice, CG Castagnari Sander, CG Salterelle Pastourelle II, GD Saltarelle Pastourelle II, Smythe "Flea," and a crazy blinged up Pokerwork

playandteach

• Currently a music teacher in a high school.
« Reply #46 on: February 01, 2020, 01:16:43 AM »

Sometimes you have a plan and then attempting to execute that plan doesn't go as well as you hope and then everything isn't quite as good as you wanted it to be.

But, what's important is to post the video anyway! My hand has grown tired from my squid finger shenanigans this month. I ended up genuinely having a lot of trouble just playing the first part of the tune today, let alone my later adventures in this arrangement - both my brain and my hand are too tired to make a good job of this today, so, this is edited together from 3 parts, which some obvious flaws left unresolved.

This tune came together very quickly for me earlier this month - I suspect because of my existing comfort in finding fingering that corresponds with whatever chord I'm seeking, most bars have a fixed bellows direction until the next chord. Because of that I decided to be adventurous and include some of Pete's (playandteach's) counter melody with a bit of multi melody playing, since that's kinda what I'm into at the moment. The version provided here (in the 3rd cycle) still isn't what it's supposed to be (I accidentally just hold a B the first time through the 4th bar) but, I had to call it good because it's been a rather confounding day.

La Mal-Aimable

Stops: Everything's on for most of the tune, although I'm in 2 voice mode to start and butcher my chin-change in this version. Hooray for D over a B major harmony.
Thanks for your continuous and relentless enthusiasm. You are brutally honest about any fudges, which gives us little to comment on. I hope to meet and play together sometime, but in the meantime well learnt, well played and well, I can't mention a 3rd well as that would make me Dixon of Dock Green.
Cracking effort, just in the nick of time.
Serafini R2D2 GC, Serafini GC accs 18 bass

Fred

• G/C Pariselle, D/G Loffet & maybe too many Hohners
« Reply #47 on: February 01, 2020, 11:26:45 AM »

La Mal-Aimable

Very cool, thanks for sharing that. I especially liked the chin move. Pretty smooth. :D

Gena Crisman

• 🇬🇧
« Reply #48 on: February 01, 2020, 12:36:23 PM »

That's really coming along nicely!
Thanks for your continuous and relentless enthusiasm. You are brutally honest about any fudges, which gives us little to comment on. I hope to meet and play together sometime, but in the meantime well learnt, well played and well, I can't mention a 3rd well as that would make me Dixon of Dock Green.
Cracking effort, just in the nick of time.
Very cool, thanks for sharing that. I especially liked the chin move. Pretty smooth. :D

Thanks, all, for the feedback. Chin move is a bit of fun but quite unideal, although I usually manage to hit the right notes while doing it, but, not on this occasion! I was just about a the end of my rope going into that take so, I just accepted it and carried on.

I will say, in retrospect, it's interesting how inconvenient this tune is to play on your regular 3rd start 2v DG. I don't think I would have wanted to play at my keyboard's top end without my L reed on, and, without a low G scale you don't have the low B and C to play in the lower octave. Also I've just realised it's been a year since I got this box. Hooray!

Clive Williams

• Administrator
    • Home Page
« Reply #49 on: February 01, 2020, 07:16:11 PM »

Evening all! Time to move onto the next theme; stick late contribs on to the end of this theme as ever!

Ellisteph

« Reply #50 on: February 02, 2020, 10:55:42 AM »

Looking for an accurate translation of the title; online translations vary from 'badly amiable' to 'the evil kind' the latter of which seems the most plausible to me. Also, very little information about the composer - anyone know if he is a performer? Any other compositions?
Can more or less play it now; will post when I've polished it up a bit.

Hi, all.

I know this tune well (I have the CD). I'm working on it though I can't yet play it the way I really want to, which is to emulate the style of the original as much as possible.

About the composer: Jean-Christophe Lequerré was the accordeon diatonique player for the band Fubu, which is Breton for mosquito/midget. I believe from what I can tell that he died a few years ago. He replaced Gilles Poutoux in the band. After Fubu he took up piano and formed an Irish music duo with Gilles, who has since worked a lot with former Fubu vielles à roue (hurdy gurdy) player Jean-Luc Gueneau, who is also on the original recording of the tune, released on cassette 1984.

On the CD, it's performed quite quickly, somewhere around 190 bpm, with a swing rhythm, and the second chord of each section is Dm rather than F.

Here is version by Gilles with fellow diato player Jean-Luc Larive. Jean-Luc plays the D in the bass as written by the composer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E9A8B7ySk80&lc=UgwrF5gCv8UPUWe7jot4AaABAg

(:)
Thanks David. I don't know why, but knowing a little about the composer somehow makes a tune more personal and gives an extra dimension to it. If I learn several tunes by the same composer they are somehow bracketed together in my head along with any information about them that makes it all a more complete experience. Difficult to describe in words, and maybe it's just me; very grateful for the information so thanks again.
Salterelle Connemara III, Loffet Pro C/F
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal