Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Theme for the Month for January 2020: Mountains, Hills, Valleys, etc  (Read 4285 times)

Clive Williams

• Administrator
    • Home Page

Afternoon all - thanks to Paedar's excellent suggestion, we're going to do mountains this month! But I think we can safely widen that to hills, and indeed to valleys/glens/etc, which after all is just a fancy name for the bit between two hills!

So.... any tune mentioning mountains, hills, valleys, glens, etc, etc in whatever tangential way we can possibly imagine!

Cheers,

Clive

folkbluesnbeyond

• Respected Sage
    • Folkbluesnbeyond
Re: Theme for the Month for January 2020: Mountains, Hills, Valleys, etc
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2020, 02:45:18 PM »

Stone Mountain Wobble, Hohner 4 stop C

https://youtu.be/YDNOrbd1uCE

An 'Old Time' American tune from the 1940's which I usually play on the anglo ( https://youtu.be/MPlfM-VDQVk )

There is a great version by Errynn Marshall and Carl Jones on YT.

PDF attached from (the late) Steven Parker's book of Ragtime tunes for fiddle and mandolin.

All the best

Bill

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2020, 03:01:03 PM »

Stone Mountain Wobble, Hohner 4 stop C

Love that, It's such a fun tune.
Greg Smith
DG/GC Pokerwork, DG 2.4 Saltarelle, pre-war CF Hohner, Hohner 1040 Vienna style, old  BbEb Hohner that needs a lot of work.

ACCORDION, n. An instrument in harmony with the sentiments of an assassin. Ambrose Bierce

Clive Williams

• Administrator
    • Home Page
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2020, 04:50:08 PM »

This is the tune that sprang to mind to me when this theme got suggested (I quite often have a tune in mind to play when I come up with a theme, and if I can't, it's a hint that it might not be a great theme!)

The Height of Cader Idris, pinched lock stock and barrel from Leveret's album 'In the Round'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ea9M1nYA_4A

Played on a Castagnari Mory in D/G, so it comes out in G like the original. Requires a couple of reversals on the half row that made things a little more complex than I was expecting...

Cheers,

Clive

forrest

• Other Places::
  • digits still functioning
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2020, 10:26:07 PM »

Here's one that popped up, a little waltz called Mockingbird Hill. Playing on my newly acquired 8+3 baby organetto, with some backing on uke and mandola.
                                                                https://youtu.be/ooF-qQ1x-00

Mcgrooger

• Northern Roots
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2020, 04:25:08 PM »

It's been a long time since I posted on ThOTM - er...sorry!
I struggled to think of / find a mountain tune I liked so recorded the Playford tune Mount Hills which seems to cover the theme (in duplicate). It's on my old clacky Hohner C/F.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ocfBtKnFjF8

Fred

• G/C Pariselle, D/G Loffet & maybe too many Hohners
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2020, 06:24:57 PM »

I struggled to think of / find a mountain tune I liked so recorded the Playford tune Mount Hills which seems to cover the theme (in duplicate). It's on my old clacky Hohner C/F.

Ah, good to see you back. Great steady playing. Expected nothing less from you! (:)

Ellisteph

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2020, 05:34:09 PM »

Here's one from me in the 'glen' category - Will Atkinson's Glen Aln Hornpipe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2z4m6DEFynw
Salterelle Connemara III, Loffet Pro C/F

Ellisteph

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2020, 05:38:40 PM »

Great stuff McGrooger & good to see you back.
Salterelle Connemara III, Loffet Pro C/F

Anahata

• This mind intentionally left blank
  • Oakwood D/G, C/F Club, 1-rows in C,D,G
    • Treewind Music
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2020, 09:49:37 PM »

Here's Juniper Hill, a nice jig I've known for ages but got out of the habit of playing recently.

recorded the Playford tune Mount Hills which seems to cover the theme (in duplicate)
I was thinking of doing that - you beat me to it!
I'm a melodeon player. What's your excuse?
Music recording and web hosting: www.treewind.co.uk
Mary Humphreys and Anahata: www.maryanahata.co.uk
Ceilidh band: www.barleycoteband.co.uk

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2020, 10:54:46 AM »

https://soundcloud.com/greg-bradfield-smith/green-mountain-16-01-01

Green Mountain Petronella.

First serious(ish) attempt to play something on the recently acquired 1040C.
I slowed down a tad to reduce the playing noises and cope with the disappearing fingers. Might need a trip to St Ives.
Greg Smith
DG/GC Pokerwork, DG 2.4 Saltarelle, pre-war CF Hohner, Hohner 1040 Vienna style, old  BbEb Hohner that needs a lot of work.

ACCORDION, n. An instrument in harmony with the sentiments of an assassin. Ambrose Bierce

Saul Bailey

• Anarchist
  • Good talker
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2020, 04:11:19 PM »

Took a bit of brain-wracking this one! Here's the Wild Hills of Wannie, replete with airy intro ;D

https://youtu.be/oZZ2PwZvmhk
Castagnari Morys DG & CF, Pariselle BbEb, Saltarelle Neuilly DG, Castagnari Lilly DG, Pokerwork DG, Eric Martin G/C

arty

« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2020, 07:01:40 PM »

Took a bit of brain-wracking this one! Here's the Wild Hills of Wannie, replete with airy intro ;D

https://youtu.be/oZZ2PwZvmhk

What a pleasure it is to listen to you playing....quality! Fabulous, thank you. (:)
Pre-Pokerwork C/F, Castagnari Laura G/C, Beltuna Sara 3 A/D, Castagnari Sander Special D/G

Pete Dunk

• Typo Expert
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2020, 07:31:07 PM »

A wonderful interpretation Saul, a delight to listen to.
Squeezing on the Isle of Oxney, UK
Primo (Serenellini) D/G
Isis D/G
Hohner B/E, G/C, C/F, Bb/Eb G/C/F
Liliputs D/G (G scale), C/F, Bb/Eb, Albrecht Custom D/G (G scale)

John MacKenzie (Cugiok)

• Fettling... Learning to reed and right.
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2020, 09:46:05 PM »

The Mountains of Pomeroy, a tune I tried to learn on Penny Whistle, way back when.

https://thesession.org/tunes/13306

SJ
There is no beginning to my talent :)

: Hohner Club Modell 1. Bb/Eb, de-clubbed : Early Hohner Pressed Wood A/D : 1930's Varnished wood G/C:  Hohner Erika C/F: Bandoneon tuned D/G Pressed wood: Koch F/Bb; G/C Pre Corso

Gena Crisman

• 🇬🇧
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2020, 10:44:18 PM »

I was quite pleased when this theme came up, because I thought to myself, ooh, ooh yes, there's... I think there was a tune I wanted to learn that would fit, but... ugh, what was it called... And then, when I did remember the tune, I was happy that it actually was Mountain/Hill/Valley related - 90% of the time that story goes the other way.

So the story behind this tune is that, my friend Andy Jempson, who plays box for a couple of the local morris sides (Quayside Cloggies and Holly Copse at the moment) has been pretty much the go to chap for organising local music sessions, so, we've talked about quite a few tunes over last few years. I think perhaps maybe a tune came up that reminded him of one he was quite fond of: The Hills of New Zealand, written by Joanie Madden, the flute/whistle toting frontwoman for a band called Cherish The Ladies. I thought the A music was great, then the B music came along and I was... confused and had no idea what was happening any more. This all happened probably over a year ago now, but was dutifully filed away for when it would finally come in handy once again, which as it turns out was a couple of weeks ago (as I had known it would).

I was able to locate a score for the tune on the session although I changed some of the chords from as written, then fished up a copy of the tune on youtube to listen to - one of the versions was clipping quite badly, so, this is the one I'd suggest listening too, and it's worthwhile to do so, since the whistle/flute rolls are not something I'm in any position to do with my box at this time). Anyway, listening to the performance gave me the bones for the intro/middle sequences, as well as helped me feel out of the gaps between repeats/each part, which hopefully I got mostly right, as feeling them was quite challenging. I could certainly do with learning to be a bit more tender.

This kind of tune isn't my usual fair, so, perhaps I've made a meal of this, or, perhaps it's come out pretty good, I don't know yet. It went down well at the Folk Club last week, in any case. Hopefully, Andy will think it's neat, as well.

Fundamental Low Notes are out, as they a) ate too much air and b) were a bit much given how much I'm parking myself on the basses.

The Hills of New Zealand (Joanie Madden):
https://youtu.be/8IMXHR8uTYM

Rog

• Repair and tuning in Hants
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2020, 07:35:35 AM »

Here's Juniper Hill, a nice jig I've known for ages but got out of the habit of playing recently.

recorded the Playford tune Mount Hills which seems to cover the theme (in duplicate)
I was thinking of doing that - you beat me to it!
Juniper Hill is in Oxfordshire and is the real life Lark Rise in Flora Thompson's novel 'Lark Rise to Candleford', which chronicles a long gone way of life in 1880s rural England. And it’s not really on what you would describe as a hill.  (:)
« Last Edit: January 18, 2020, 07:37:22 AM by RogerT »

Anahata

• This mind intentionally left blank
  • Oakwood D/G, C/F Club, 1-rows in C,D,G
    • Treewind Music
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2020, 08:37:42 AM »

Thank you your erudition, and I didn't know what or where Juniper Hill was. I hope you're not suggesting the tune doesn''t qualify because the real place is not much of a hill, given the amount of slack usually tolerated around here.
I'm a melodeon player. What's your excuse?
Music recording and web hosting: www.treewind.co.uk
Mary Humphreys and Anahata: www.maryanahata.co.uk
Ceilidh band: www.barleycoteband.co.uk

Rog

• Repair and tuning in Hants
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2020, 08:56:43 AM »

Thank you your erudition, and I didn't know what or where Juniper Hill was. I hope you're not suggesting the tune doesn''t qualify because the real place is not much of a hill, given the amount of slack usually tolerated around here.
No, no. The tune is perfectly valid and the last thing I’d do is criticise you! And anyway it is called Juniper Hill. But I did drive through there once to take a look.  And also your Juniper Hill might be a completely different place, or a place in the composer’s mind.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2020, 09:03:05 AM by RogerT »

baz parkes

• All Blacked Up
« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2020, 02:15:27 PM »

Bit of silliness on a gloomy Sunday...

In the high and far off times oh best beloved, before Casta was Nari or Salty was Relled, Hohner Owners would sit in houses that were public, and play songs for their friends to sing along to...here's a couple for them...

https://youtu.be/7kcPa6hWOSg

« Last Edit: January 27, 2020, 02:20:58 PM by baz parkes »
On the edge of Cheshire's Golden Triangle, apparently...
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal