Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: Seeking advice on starting up a session  (Read 2411 times)

Thrupenny Bit

• happily squeezing away in Devon
Re: Seeking advice on starting up a session
« Reply #60 on: January 14, 2020, 08:37:37 AM »

Morning Nick.
Trouble is, if you look at our history we have been guilty of massive suppression so if you live in glass houses....

Jesse I have had the pleasure of meeting and dancing with Toronto morris, a great social crowd and I know they play English music and some are ex- pat's. Keep an eye open for them.
Q
Thrupenny Bit

I think I'm starting to get most of the notes in roughly the right order...... sometimes!

Anahata

• This mind intentionally left blank
  • Oakwood D/G, C/F Club, 1-rows in C,D,G
    • Treewind Music
« Reply #61 on: January 14, 2020, 10:03:10 AM »

And there are Morris groups and English sessions in Cambridge and Toronto, Ontario, both about two hours away.

I know the Cambrige lot well, and they are definitely worth a visit. Tethera are the core of it - if you contact them, they will know what's going on.
I'm a melodeon player. What's your excuse?
Music recording and web hosting: www.treewind.co.uk
Mary Humphreys and Anahata: www.maryanahata.co.uk
Ceilidh bands: www.fourhandband.co.uk www.barleycoteband.co.uk

Lyn

• Respected Sage
« Reply #62 on: January 15, 2020, 02:20:55 PM »

Years ago when I played fiddle we went to a great session in a pub. We played ed lots of Irish tunes and a big mixture of others. The pub closed, and several other sessions closed down too. I began playlist hg a DG melodeon andnfound it quite difficult to play manybof my favourite Irish tunes with any agility or confidence. Several others bewailed the loss of the sessions, and some of us , mainly box players, but also a fiddle player, whistle, piano accordion , and concertina player, decided to get together to play a mixture of English, French dance, Scandinavian, some old times tunes, and those Irish tunes which translated well to DG boxes. We met in my house until there were too many of us and now we meet in the pub.
We have NO problem with Irish tunes as such, other than a) Irish sessions predominate often, even here in East Anglia, so are well catered for, and b) the very beautiful
tunes are fine but we have experienced many times our previous sessions being overtaken by two lovely guys , on mandolin and uillean pipes who would start at a cracking pace and get faster, with no one else being able to differentiate between the tunes. Hence it was generally a sign for a beer and toilet break!

I cannot apologise enough for the actions of my colonialising forebears..though I doubt very
much mine would have had any say in the matter, as is  sadly is becoming the case again
today... but I wish music forums would not become platforms for bashing cultures/
nationalities/ styles that you dont  agree with. On a folk music
thread on YouTube some time ago, a Scottish guy was holding me personally responsible for
the Highland Clearances, just sayin...
« Last Edit: January 15, 2020, 02:35:08 PM by Lyn »
saltarelle nuage DG

Castagnari Mory DG

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #63 on: January 15, 2020, 06:15:52 PM »

[[ADMIN]]

The original topic has been thoroughly discussed, and recent posts are going further and further off topic, so time to call a halt.
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal