Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: One row tunes  (Read 11784 times)

george garside

Re: One row tunes
« Reply #60 on: January 28, 2020, 01:22:07 PM »

and bring in the bellows to as near closed as possible when approaching the fast triplet run in harvest home  .Also leaving the bass off the fast triplet run will have 2 beneficial effects.  It will increase the volume of the treble (as all the air has to get out that end)   whilst at the same time reducing air consumption by giving the big air hungry bass reeds some time off,

george
author of DG tutor book "DG Melodeon a Crash Course for Beginners".

playandteach

• Currently a music teacher in a high school.
« Reply #61 on: January 28, 2020, 03:28:39 PM »

and bring in the bellows to as near closed as possible when approaching the fast triplet run in harvest home  .Also leaving the bass off the fast triplet run will have 2 beneficial effects.  It will increase the volume of the treble (as all the air has to get out that end)   whilst at the same time reducing air consumption by giving the big air hungry bass reeds some time off,

george
Thanks George - I'm not using basses purposefully at the moment, but I get your point. Could you confirm whether you (personally) lift fingers in that passage or if it is too fast to separate at speed?
Serafini R2D2 GC, Serafini GC accs 18 bass

Andrel

• Regular debater
« Reply #62 on: January 28, 2020, 04:57:45 PM »

Johnny Connolly recently passed away, but he left us his wonderful music. If you don't already won it, I would recommend getting An tOilean Aerach, all played on a C one-row. Mostly Hohner, I believe. Absolutely terrific.
Bertrand Gaillard D/C#, Acadian in C, Castagnari Ciacy
B/C, Castagnari Sharon D/C#

george garside

« Reply #63 on: January 28, 2020, 10:53:47 PM »

george
Thanks George - I'm not using basses purposefully at the moment, but I get your point. Could you confirm whether you (personally) lift fingers in that passage or if it is too fast to separate at speed?

As a general rule I always lift fingers clear of the buttons but the amount of lift varies with the degree of 'staccatoness' that I require.   I only keep fingers resting on buttons for deliberately  legato passages.   So yes I do lift fingers ( slightly ) off for that passage

george
author of DG tutor book "DG Melodeon a Crash Course for Beginners".

boxcall

• You got to love it!!!
  • Accordion to who?
« Reply #64 on: February 13, 2020, 05:04:12 PM »

george

Here’s how a ham and egg’er does it with four fingers .
First time though probably not that clean, and maybe I’m just making clown sounds (:)

I don’t lift my finger between notes on the same button. Right or wrong.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nEtBfv56CPo

Hohner 1040 C, Beltuna one row four stop D, O'Byrne Dewitt/ Baldoni bros. D/C#, Paolo soprani "pepperpot" one row D

rileycat

• Respected Sage
« Reply #65 on: February 13, 2020, 06:33:55 PM »

After a quick scan of this thread, I don't think our beloved hero John K. has been mentioned as a 1 row source.  I mention this, having caught him at a recent concert in full 1 row-flow with a very powerful and controlled set of tunes in typical style.  He just doesn't know how to be half-hearted, does he - totally marvellous what he can get out of a 114!! Check his cd's, there's usually at least one tune-set on the 4 stopper included.

Peadar

« Reply #66 on: February 13, 2020, 07:35:17 PM »

First time though probably not that clean, and maybe I’m just making clown sounds (:)

Sounds good to me. :)
Why should the devil have all the best instruments???

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
    • Lester's Melodeon Emporium and Tune-a-Rama
« Reply #67 on: February 13, 2020, 07:43:59 PM »

Yes, or it depends, or it may not be possible and maintain the musicality.

ps Nicely played

playandteach

« Reply #68 on: February 13, 2020, 08:06:19 PM »

Thanks a lot for the demo - no clown sounds. I'll give it another whirl.

Dick Rees

• Neo-Luddite
« Reply #69 on: February 13, 2020, 08:28:22 PM »

General reply regarding hand position:

I have found it easier to handle two adjacent buttons at the end(s) of a 5 button spread by working from the index finger end rather than the pinky end.  In the case of Harvest Home I'd start my hand position with the index finger over the third of the chord and stretching to the side to get the tonic note.  Middle finger gets the five note, so the first bit would finger

I M I M I M I M  (1 5 3 5 1 5 3 5)

putting the burden of the stretch onto the more dexterous digit. 

Just a thought FWIW.

PS.

For one-row 4 stop I love the YT videos from Gilles Poutoux.

Good luck, have fun.

"You're making the wrong mistakes."
...Thelonius Monk

"I never made one of my discoveries through the process of rational thinking."
...Albert Einstein

Cogito ergo bibo.
...Bacchus

playandteach

« Reply #70 on: February 13, 2020, 08:54:37 PM »

Anyone know this tune? Thinking of learning it as a one row challenge for theme of the month, but could do with tempo guidance and whether it's swung or straight 8ths.

boxcall

• You got to love it!!!
  • Accordion to who?
« Reply #71 on: February 13, 2020, 09:38:38 PM »

Thanks a lot for the demo - no clown sounds. I'll give it another whirl.
Hi P&T
No problem, I put this up, for you , I did it a couple of days ago but had you in mind.
Then came the wonderful surprise of a grand daughter, so I’ve been busy tending to mom.
I am in no way musically educated, so it is what it is.
Video speaks a thousand words
I also did a 1040 one if you look for it , just the A part.
It takes more work on the ten forty, because of reed response time. IMO ( compared to Beltuna)

I hope you keep it going and share your progress.

As for the tune, I have no idea but it sound delicious!
Hohner 1040 C, Beltuna one row four stop D, O'Byrne Dewitt/ Baldoni bros. D/C#, Paolo soprani "pepperpot" one row D

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
« Reply #72 on: February 13, 2020, 10:11:44 PM »

Anyone know this tune? Thinking of learning it as a one row challenge for theme of the month, but could do with tempo guidance and whether it's swung or straight 8ths.

There's a recording here of the tune played by Tom Hughes. This seems to be the only recording. Plays it at about 100bpm.

http://www.springthyme.co.uk/1044/
Greg Smith
DG/GC Pokerwork, DG 2.4 Saltarelle, pre-war CF Hohner, Hohner 1040 Vienna style, old  BbEb Hohner that needs a lot of work.

ACCORDION, n. An instrument in harmony with the sentiments of an assassin. Ambrose Bierce

playandteach

« Reply #73 on: February 13, 2020, 10:36:50 PM »

Interesting. It drops a bar in the B section, also not sure but it might have some different notes too - haven't listened hard enough to see if it's intonation or real pitch differences in the scales. Certainly going to be a challenge.

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
« Reply #74 on: February 13, 2020, 10:58:49 PM »

Interesting. It drops a bar in the B section, also not sure but it might have some different notes too - haven't listened hard enough to see if it's intonation or real pitch differences in the scales. Certainly going to be a challenge.

I think the Hughes recording is probably more definitive than your score. Don't know for certain, of course. Just going on scraps of information. I rather like his playing of it.
Greg Smith
DG/GC Pokerwork, DG 2.4 Saltarelle, pre-war CF Hohner, Hohner 1040 Vienna style, old  BbEb Hohner that needs a lot of work.

ACCORDION, n. An instrument in harmony with the sentiments of an assassin. Ambrose Bierce

playandteach

« Reply #75 on: February 13, 2020, 11:10:01 PM »

Just listened again, and the B section starts in A major, which is nice, but not one-row stuff. Might have to ignore the recording - apart from tempo.

mselic

« Reply #76 on: February 14, 2020, 01:34:29 AM »

Just listened again, and the B section starts in A major, which is nice, but not one-row stuff. Might have to ignore the recording - apart from tempo.

A major is often played on a D one-row, including tunes that have one part in D and the second part in A.
C#/D Serenellini 233, Manfrini, Saltarelle Irish Bouebe, and a few HA114s

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
  • MAD is inevitable. Keep Calm and Carry On
    • Lizzie Dripping
« Reply #77 on: February 14, 2020, 07:08:03 AM »

Are you sure about the A major? Listening to the recording which Greg posted, I don't detect any G#s in the B-music. It is definitely possible to play it on a one-row in D.

I agree with you about the 'missing' bar in the recording. Your written music shows a twelve-bar length for the B-music, but The fourth bar is omitted in the recording, so only 11 bars are played. As you say, 'interesting'...
Steve
Sheffield, UK.
www.lizziedripping.org.uk

playandteach

« Reply #78 on: February 14, 2020, 10:33:02 AM »

Could be wrong, Steve - my tinnitus is lively at the moment, but the downward scales definitely had an odd feel about them - could you check and see if there aren't G# in those? Or is it just some weird tuning issues?

playandteach

« Reply #79 on: February 14, 2020, 10:36:55 AM »

Just listened again. If those are G#s in the downward scales, then I'm losing the plot.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal