Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: One row tunes  (Read 11775 times)

playandteach

• Currently a music teacher in a high school.
One row tunes
« on: January 11, 2020, 10:35:54 PM »

It looks like I might be about to get a one row 1040, thanks to another thread here.
Can I have suggestions for good tunes to learn, that will build on the row skills?

I'm not looking to be a fast or ambitious player, but want to develop bellows use, as my cross row style of playing avoids using the bellows to change notes.
It's in C, but I'm happy to play it as a transposing instrument. I'd be grateful that any suggestions come with a tip about keys: e.g. this tune is in G to be played on a C box (I realise what that sounds like, and I know there won't be F#s available).
What I want to avoid is having a tipped tune, and then transposing it to C, to find that the whole point was to play it in the given key on the C box. It might be that all the beginner tunes for two row boxes are just right - you might just see me struggling with Speed the Plough.
Serafini R2D2 GC, Serafini GC accs 18 bass

george garside

Re: One row tunes
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2020, 11:02:39 PM »

welcome to the one row brigade!  if you have to use written music  don't worry about the key its written in. just deem your box to be in that key  and play up and down the row.   Better still  have a  go at playing simple tunes that you can hum or whistle .  when the saints go marching in is a good 3 button starter.   Best start with slow tunes eg aires and waltzes as you are likely to be able to play them at more or less the natural speed which is far more satisfying than playing a fast tune slowly.

some  examples - waters of tyne,  oh dear what can the matter be,  endearing young  charms. winster gallop, cock of the north etc etc.

Practice the C scale over both octaves as some tunes can only be played in the upper octave. and some eg golden slippers the A part works in the lower octave but the B part has to be played in the upper octave.   

Don't worry about  the odd  'accidental' that you havn't got  . play the note before it twice, or cause a diversion by applying both bass spoons together to take peoples minds off it!

PLay the bass (if desired) when they sound ok and don't when they don't!

Keep in mind that the air consumption when using 4 voices is considerable  so keep the bellows well open unless you know you are heading for a series of 'pull' notes in which case bring the bellows in swiftly at the appropriate moment. Also keep in mind that if you are heading for the SHoneT  leaving the bass off for a few notes will greatly reduce air consumption.  Similarly it can help in the early stages to only  the high and one medium voice while you get the hang of things

many tunes on a C box can also be played in G  particulaly those devoid of F# or by faking the F#. 
f

Have fun!

george

« Last Edit: January 11, 2020, 11:21:38 PM by george garside »
author of DG tutor book "DG Melodeon a Crash Course for Beginners".

Peadar

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2020, 11:39:30 PM »

George- It's a 1040 Pete's talking about not a 4 stop.

Dorset 4 hand reel  a good beginners tune- bellows change direction just about every note so you don't run out of air. Bill Johnson's version (TOTM April 2019) is played in both octaves.

Blaydon Races, Byker Hill and Walkr Shore....There's a lot to be said for builing a small rpertioire of local traditional songs on the 1 row.
Why should the devil have all the best instruments???

Graham Wood

• Regular debater
  • Old Fumble Fingers
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2020, 11:42:34 PM »

Could you play Cajun tunes on a 1 row?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ncOQACVViyk
Graham Wood - Third Planet from The Sun
Hohner Morgane B/C,   Junior Martin 1 Row in 'D' with knobs on top,   Acadian 1 Row in 'C' with more knobs on top.

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2020, 12:10:24 AM »

Could you play Cajun tunes on a 1 row?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ncOQACVViyk

Nice clip.
I thought all cajun was played on one rows.

You already play, PT. Grab a handful of English dance tunes and play them.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2020, 12:12:34 AM by Tone Dumb Greg »
Greg Smith
DG/GC Pokerwork, DG 2.4 Saltarelle, pre-war CF Hohner, Hohner 1040 Vienna style, old  BbEb Hohner that needs a lot of work.

ACCORDION, n. An instrument in harmony with the sentiments of an assassin. Ambrose Bierce

Pete Dunk

• Typo Expert
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2020, 12:23:00 AM »

Tiger Smith's Jig (aka Oscar Wood's Jig) is a little cracker of a tune for the one row, having the extra two buttons on the left hand end adds a bit to it too.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2020, 12:24:38 AM by Pete Dunk »
Squeezing on the Isle of Oxney, UK
Primo (Serenellini) D/G
Isis D/G
Hohner B/E, G/C, C/F, Bb/Eb G/C/F
Liliputs D/G (G scale), C/F, Bb/Eb, Albrecht Custom D/G (G scale)

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
  • MAD is inevitable. Keep Calm and Carry On
    • Lizzie Dripping
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2020, 12:51:23 AM »

It looks like I might be about to get a one row 1040, thanks to another thread here.
Can I have suggestions for good tunes to learn, that will build on the row skills?

I'm not looking to be a fast or ambitious player, but want to develop bellows use, as my cross row style of playing avoids using the bellows to change notes.
It's in C, but I'm happy to play it as a transposing instrument. I'd be grateful that any suggestions come with a tip about keys: e.g. this tune is in G to be played on a C box (I realise what that sounds like, and I know there won't be F#s available).
What I want to avoid is having a tipped tune, and then transposing it to C, to find that the whole point was to play it in the given key on the C box. It might be that all the beginner tunes for two row boxes are just right - you might just see me struggling with Speed the Plough.
You could do a lot worse than obtain (buy!) a copy of 'Before the Night Was Out': the East Anglian tune book. Many of the tunes in there are in the key of C and are transcribed directly from field recordings of great East Anglian melodeon players such as Oscar Woods, Percy Brown, Dolly Curtis, Cecil Pearl, and other instrumentalists such as Walter Bulwer (fiddle) and Billy Bennington (dulcimer).

Obtainable from the East Anglian Traditional Music Trust here.

Also, if you are going to Melodeons in Wensleydale in April, I will be teaching a workshop on one-row playing - tunes and techniques, which will probably include some East Anglian tunes, among others. Due to the relative uncommonness (is that a word?) these days of one-rows in C, I will be teaching the workshop in the key of D, suitable for one-row four-stop instruments in D, but any melodeon with a D-row will do, although it's best if you have a low-octave L voice on your box. We hope to have at least a couple of one-row four-stop instruments in D available to borrow during the workshop.

Steve
Sheffield, UK.
www.lizziedripping.org.uk

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
  • MAD is inevitable. Keep Calm and Carry On
    • Lizzie Dripping
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2020, 01:15:05 AM »

Lovely video here of Katie Howson, Oscar Woods and Reg Reader (dulcimer) playing one of Oscar's tunes 'Waltzing over the Water'. This is a great tune for one-row melodeons.
Psst: It's in 'Before the Night Was Out'

Oh! I've just clicked on Pete Dunk's link...
 :|bl
Tiger Smith's Jig (aka Oscar Wood's Jig)...
That seems a long time ago now...  :o
« Last Edit: January 12, 2020, 01:24:35 AM by Steve_freereeder »
Steve
Sheffield, UK.
www.lizziedripping.org.uk

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
    • Lester's Melodeon Emporium and Tune-a-Rama
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2020, 03:09:26 AM »

If you go HERE and scroll til you find 1 Row there are any number of unes

Psuggmog Volbenz

• Respected Sage
    • musical whimsy
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2020, 06:01:32 AM »

Plenty of one row suitable tunes here:
http://www.mustrad.udenap.org/lerepertoire.html
I'm squeezin' and they're wheezin': old junker boxes

Psuggmog Volbenz

• Respected Sage
    • musical whimsy
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2020, 06:06:40 AM »

Here’s one I have been learning this week.
I'm squeezin' and they're wheezin': old junker boxes

tirpous

« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2020, 06:49:41 AM »

This one https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jt4DjASIHbM  uses all buttons if I remember well.  If nothing else, it will help you find if your thumb strap is well adjusted (so that all buttons can be reached comfortably).  But I find it's fun to play too.

Graham Spencer

• MAD as a wet Hohner........
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2020, 07:30:55 AM »

If nothing else, it will help you find if your thumb strap is well adjusted

If you use one....... ;)
Among others, Saltarelle Pastourelle II D/G; Hohner 4-stop 1-rows in C & G; assorted Hohners; 3-voice German (?) G/C of uncertain parentage; lovely little Hlavacek 1-row Heligonka; B♭/E♭ Koch. Newly acquired G/C Hohner Viktoria. Also Fender Jazz bass, Telecaster, Stratocaster, Epiphone Sheraton, Charvel-Jackson 00-style acoustic guitar, Danelectro 12-string and other stuff..........

Squeezing in the Cyprus sunshine

Anahata

• This mind intentionally left blank
  • Oakwood D/G, C/F Club, 1-rows in C,D,G
    • Treewind Music
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2020, 09:11:58 AM »

Check the melnet theme of of the month for one row tunes: http://forum.melodeon.net/index.php?topic=21326.0

It refers to an earlier one row TotM too...
I'm a melodeon player. What's your excuse?
Music recording and web hosting: www.treewind.co.uk
Mary Humphreys and Anahata: www.maryanahata.co.uk
Ceilidh band: www.barleycoteband.co.uk

Helena Handcart

• Nine-box Nellie
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2020, 10:26:16 AM »

Whoo hoo! I have just (about 30 seconds ago when I sent the payment) become the owner of an HA114D.  It's going to take some time to get my head, and my hands, around playing it but I am looking forward to much rumpy-bumby, up-and-down-the-rowsy, not-having-to-care-about-which-chordsy playing.  I shall watch this thread with interest for tune suggestions.

Sideways typing on the wooden handbag (now with added electric typewriter).

Green Man Sword | Helena Handcart on Soundcloud| Squeezebox from Scratch |

playandteach

• Currently a music teacher in a high school.
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2020, 10:38:48 AM »

Also, if you are going to Melodeons in Wensleydale in April, I will be teaching a workshop on one-row playing - tunes and techniques, which will probably include some East Anglian tunes, among others.but any melodeon with a D-row will do, although it's best if you have a low-octave L voice on your box. We hope to have at least a couple of one-row four-stop instruments in D available to borrow during the workshop.
Actually a one row session there would have been great, but I've booked some other really exciting workshops (also my D row on my DG box has been altered, of course - so that wouldn't work).

This thread is obviously going to keep me busy. Which is another way of rekindling my playing - so I'm looking forward to it. I'll check those all links as soon as the box arrives.
Serafini R2D2 GC, Serafini GC accs 18 bass

Helena Handcart

• Nine-box Nellie
« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2020, 10:48:32 AM »

Also, if you are going to Melodeons in Wensleydale in April, I will be teaching a workshop on one-row playing - tunes and techniques, which will probably include some East Anglian tunes, among others.

Ha, that's how we got hooked on the one row - me at one of Steve's workshops at Witney some years ago and my partner at Steve's workshops at 'Pressing the Buttons'.
Sideways typing on the wooden handbag (now with added electric typewriter).

Green Man Sword | Helena Handcart on Soundcloud| Squeezebox from Scratch |

Anahata

• This mind intentionally left blank
  • Oakwood D/G, C/F Club, 1-rows in C,D,G
    • Treewind Music
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2020, 11:17:33 AM »

Check the melnet theme of of the month for one row tunes: http://forum.melodeon.net/index.php?topic=21326.0

It refers to an earlier one row TotM too...

Now I'm awake and on a proper computer, here's the earlier one: http://forum.melodeon.net/index.php?topic=13877.0
I'm a melodeon player. What's your excuse?
Music recording and web hosting: www.treewind.co.uk
Mary Humphreys and Anahata: www.maryanahata.co.uk
Ceilidh band: www.barleycoteband.co.uk

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2020, 12:18:23 PM »

Are there any  recordings of Oscar Woods (easily) available, at a reasonable cost?
I have read a lot about his playing, but never heard it.
Greg Smith
DG/GC Pokerwork, DG 2.4 Saltarelle, pre-war CF Hohner, Hohner 1040 Vienna style, old  BbEb Hohner that needs a lot of work.

ACCORDION, n. An instrument in harmony with the sentiments of an assassin. Ambrose Bierce

baz parkes

• All Blacked Up
« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2020, 01:40:44 PM »

Are there any  recordings of Oscar Woods (easily) available, at a reasonable cost?
I have read a lot about his playing, but never heard it.

John and Katie Howsons; Veteran Music is a goldmine...Pigeon on a Gate features 18 examples of Oscar's playing and sundry other goodies in similar vein. www.veteran.co.uk/VTDC11CD.htm £13 25 double CD
Probably make an excellent accompaniment t0 Before the Night WAs Out... :|glug
(I should say no connection to the seller,but that would be a blatant lie....)
On the edge of Cheshire's Golden Triangle, apparently...
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal