Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7]   Go Down

Author Topic: One row tunes  (Read 11781 times)

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
Re: One row tunes
« Reply #120 on: February 24, 2020, 08:48:14 AM »

I really like spoon bass boxes but find them difficult to control compared  with trap door and inset basses

Céard is brí leis sin a Pheadair?

I'm not sure, either. But, I don't know much.
Greg Smith
DG/GC Pokerwork, DG 2.4 Saltarelle, pre-war CF Hohner, Hohner 1040 Vienna style, old  BbEb Hohner that needs a lot of work.

ACCORDION, n. An instrument in harmony with the sentiments of an assassin. Ambrose Bierce

tirpous

« Reply #121 on: February 24, 2020, 02:47:06 PM »

I guess he means the other usual type, as per picture.

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
  • MAD is inevitable. Keep Calm and Carry On
    • Lizzie Dripping
« Reply #122 on: February 24, 2020, 03:09:23 PM »

Here's my transcription of 'Banks of Kale Water' based on Tom Hughes' recording. I've been playing this on my one-row in D. It's perfectly possible, although there are a couple of slightly awkward hand position shifts needed. I'll try to post a recording sometime soon. (Cue gasps as I hardly ever post any recordings these days...  :o)
:P :P :P
!!!GASP!!!
Thanks, Steve.

Right - I have finally got around to making a recording of 'Banks of Kale Water', as promised. Here it is:
https://soundcloud.com/steve_freereeder/banks-of-kale-water

It's very rough and ready, and recorded just using the small built-in mic on a laptop, so the sound quality is not briliant. The version of the tune I finally arrived at was the one in the Tom Hughes tunebook, regularised by transcriber Peter Shepheard (see page 87). My version is attached to this post.

I have to say that I found this tune quite difficult to play, especially to keep the rhythm rock-steady (which I didn't manage terribly well). But there we are...
Steve
Sheffield, UK.
www.lizziedripping.org.uk

playandteach

• Currently a music teacher in a high school.
« Reply #123 on: February 24, 2020, 03:52:07 PM »

Glad to hear you found it tricky, Steve. Still played with a nice bounce, though.
Serafini R2D2 GC, Serafini GC accs 18 bass

JohnAndy

• Regular debater
  • John Barber
« Reply #124 on: February 24, 2020, 06:35:29 PM »

The version of the tune I finally arrived at was the one in the Tom Hughes tunebook, regularised by transcriber Peter Shepheard (see page 87).

Steve, that's beautiful playing, with a lovely rhythmical drive and articulation.

But...

It's not the version regularized by Peter Shepheard.

Shepheard's version not only has the extra bar at bar 4 of the B music (which you also have), but he also has a repeat structure so that the B music gets repeated i.e. by going back to the descending scales figure (which you don't do).

That means the Shepheard's version is 32 bars long, which you might want if using the tune for dancing, or to make it match up with other reels in a set maybe. I think that's the purpose of his regularization.

The version you play on your Youtube clip is 28 bars long, so it isn't really a "regular" reel!

However, as I said before, I think your playing is great, and this post is not intended as a criticism - I just wonder whether maybe you haven't actually counted the bars and that when you're aware that you're not playing 32 bars you might want to switch to the Shepheard version as printed in the book.

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
  • MAD is inevitable. Keep Calm and Carry On
    • Lizzie Dripping
« Reply #125 on: February 25, 2020, 01:29:56 AM »

The version of the tune I finally arrived at was the one in the Tom Hughes tunebook, regularised by transcriber Peter Shepheard (see page 87).

Steve, that's beautiful playing, with a lovely rhythmical drive and articulation.

But...

It's not the version regularized by Peter Shepheard.

Shepheard's version not only has the extra bar at bar 4 of the B music (which you also have), but he also has a repeat structure so that the B music gets repeated i.e. by going back to the descending scales figure (which you don't do).

That means the Shepheard's version is 32 bars long, which you might want if using the tune for dancing, or to make it match up with other reels in a set maybe. I think that's the purpose of his regularization.

The version you play on your Youtube clip is 28 bars long, so it isn't really a "regular" reel!

However, as I said before, I think your playing is great, and this post is not intended as a criticism - I just wonder whether maybe you haven't actually counted the bars and that when you're aware that you're not playing 32 bars you might want to switch to the Shepheard version as printed in the book.
Thanks!

Yes, I can see that my version has an extra 4 bars in the B-music, which when played without repeats gives a 12-bar B-music. It's a hybrid version of Peter Shepheard's transcription and my own transcription of the structure which Tom Hughes played.  :|bl

In hindsight, I ought to stick to one or the other and for the sake of danceability, I will probably use the regularised 32-bar version. I will correct it and try again (when I have a chance!).
Steve
Sheffield, UK.
www.lizziedripping.org.uk

Jesse Smith

• Buffalo, NY, USA
« Reply #126 on: February 25, 2020, 10:12:12 PM »

Further to my post re flat fingering, it is perhaps worth noting that playing spoon bass requires flat finger technique, as do the widely spaced bass buttons found on most one row four stop growl boxes.

Hmm, I think I play my Pokerwork's bass buttons with the flats of my fingers. If I try to put my hand far enough through the strap to curl the fingers over and play with the tips, the strap doesn't pass over the widest part of my hand and I don't feel like it is secure enough. Maybe if I tightened the strap it would be fine, but then it would be harder to get the hand in and out. I imagine isn't uncommon with this type of box. I'm thinking of some of mcgrooger's videos with his Pokerwork shaped Hohners where he is practically slapping the bass buttons with the flats of his fingers.
Hohner Pokerwork D/G (x2!), Hohner one row four stops in D and C, Hohner Presswood C/F.

Winston Smith

• AKA Edward Jennings
    • "Our Luxor B&B" Luxor life, slice by slice.
« Reply #127 on: February 26, 2020, 12:46:49 AM »

"where he is practically slapping the bass buttons with the flats of his fingers."

Again, that's why the buttons are stepped.
At last, broken and resigned to accept conformity.
Oh, how I LOVE Big Brother!
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal